Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lipstick79

Strategic mistake

12 posts in this topic

after strategic mistake.
Williams(Clare) strategic mistake after mistake.
The once DOMINANT Williams Renault under Frank, designed by Newey (before he went to McLaren. THEN Red Bull)
Powered by BMW, then they left F1.
NOW powered by the DOMINANT Mercedes PU.
Are Williams (Clare) the WORST Mercedes powered Team??
Mercedes ARE currently the BEST PU.
Are Force India HIGHER achievers??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO Williams is in similar situation with Torro Rosso, They both need very good experienced driver, at least 1 in each team.

Letting go Massa was Claire's strategic mistake yes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/5/2018 at 4:58 AM, radical-one said:

IMO Williams is in similar situation with Torro Rosso, They both need very good experienced driver, at least 1 in each team.

Letting go Massa was Claire's strategic mistake yes. 

I think that Toro Rosso can look to the future with the reasonable expectation that things can only get better for them, whereas IMHO Williams is on a dangerous slope and they know that their glory days have long gone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Their problem is budget. They had a chance a couple of years ago to get a win or two....which would have really made a difference....and they played it too conservative.

They are now losing their title sponsor so are now in a fight for survival.  It is a real shame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

I think that Toro Rosso can look to the future with the reasonable expectation that things can only get better for them, whereas IMHO Williams is on a dangerous slope and they know that their glory days have long gone

Yes, I saw some article saying spiral downward. Too bad for Williams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ruslan said:

Their problem is budget.

I'm sure that Force India's budget is significantly smaller than Williams and still Force India is far ahead of them. Maybe the problem is that Claire is too incompetent and that they can't put all their money into racing but rather they have to give some to the shareholders. On top of that they sold part of the team to the Strolls which doesn't seem like a bed of roses

Edited by Publius Cornelius Scipio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

I'm sure that Force India's budget is significantly smaller than Williams and still Force India is far ahead of them. Maybe the problem is that Claire is too incompetent and that they can't put all their money into racing but rather they have to give some to the shareholders. On top of that they sold part of the team to the Strolls which doesn't seem like a bed of roses

Actually, the last set of figures posted on budget had them as the lowest budget in F1. It is in one of the recent threads (Sakae posted it). But yea, they were running on a budget of around $200-250 million at the start of the Mercedes engine period...and that is the year they almost won a couple of races. It has apparently declined to around $100 million (with the two boy drivers bringing in $20+ million of that). So they are clearly in trouble. As they are a publicly listed company, someone should be able to come up with precise numbers.

Of course, Frank Williams was an exceptional team owner. You kind of have to be exceptional to become the third winniest team in F1 history. Still, his rise to the front was fueled by Saudi money. He was the first team owner to go to the mid-east and get sponsorship. Up until then, he was making up the numbers. So, the issue may be Claire Williams incompetence, but I suspect it has a lot to do with being able to find funding. It she suddenly found a significant title sponsor, I am sure she would look a lot more competent. Any new team manager, if he/she cannot find money, would probably also not look to competent.

That said, I think Williams played it too conservative in the first couple of years of Mercedes engines....as a couple of wins could have done a lot of attract more sponsorship money.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/05/2018 at 3:58 AM, radical-one said:

IMO Williams is in similar situation with Torro Rosso,

It IS a totally DIFFERENT situation to Torro Rosso.
Torro Rosso HAS works status - New Honda works after Mclaren moved to Renault.
Williams is, the lowest Mercedes customer.
Torro Rosso Honda is at the beginning of their development cycle.
Where Williams Mercedes are now like an old married couple.


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

It IS a totally DIFFERENT situation to Torro Rosso.
Torro Rosso HAS works status - New Honda works after Mclaren moved to Renault.
Williams is, the lowest Mercedes customer.
Torro Rosso Honda is at the beginning of their development cycle.
Where Williams Mercedes are now like an old married couple.


 

Williams is now IMHO the worst team in F1, they have a very challenging road ahead of them, their title sponsor is walking out at the end of the season, their main source of revenue (Stroll) is on the brink of moving to Force India, they cannot even fix a seating problem that forces two of their drivers (Sirotkin and Kubica) to be in pain after a few laps, I don't see how things could take a turn for the better for them, obviously Claire is totally out of her depth but will she go before it's too late?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the realm of speculation for some time I am under impression that leadership is expected from Lowe. Based on his past record of achievements I am however not waiting to be impressed, nor I expect miracles. With Pat Symonds's departure end of 2016 the job is yet to be filled with an individual with the same level of competence.

Edited by Sakae

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

 their title sponsor is walking out at the end of the season, 

Formula 1 IS a changed/changing world.
Title sponsors are a thing of the PAST
The Brand is what makes the money. The William`s  brand HAS enough  success in
it`s history to be able to survive, can`t Clare seen THAT.
 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What IF;

Mclaren Powered by Renault
Finish HIGHER in the Constructors than Torro Rosso Honda?? (It IS looking like, it probably WILL happen)
Surely THAT IS Mclaren`s MAIN priority,   anyway !!
Since Ron Dennis left,  SO have my personal contacts at Mclaren.
I were a guest of Ron`s at, the Mclaren technology centre in Woking.
Renault have NEVER achieved any REAL significance, without Adrian Newey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0