Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

F1 pre-season testing (2022)

2 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Now Vettel with engine issue... darn

13:56

Trackside update

"Vettel appears to have suffered an engine issue there. There was a puff of smoke from the rear and he was fighting hard to keep the car pointing in a straight line into Turn 10 as the back axle tried to lock on him. He kept it together before pulling up and aiding the marshals with extinguishing the fire."

No, no, I love it. He is done this week, and decided to burn down into ashes that darn thing. It gives them to start over. 

I am not sure where Stroll is. He should have his car to his disposal. (Seb suffered oil leak, which ended in flames. Not a big deal, according to AM).

AM is done for the first test. It seems they brought only one car, which cought fire and wasn't fixed. 

No wet testing.

Stroll has no car to drive.

There does'nt seem to be a big difference between the C4's and the C5's....

"18:44 Hamilton sets a 1m19.141s to go top on C4 tyres, with 16 minutes of the test left to run. If he'd matched his earlier best third sector, it'd have been in the 1m18s..."

The 1m18s should really worry the competitors....

"18:53 Hamilton takes 0.003s out of his time to set a 1m19.138s - on C5s. He said he's been to the year, three-thousandths..."

"19:00 It looked as thought Hamilton was going to end the session with another fastest lap - but he backed off massively! What a tease..."

I believe only Max should be able to maybe go faster, but only just...

I'm revising my order: This is, of course, my personal perception...

1. RBR

2. Merc

3. Ferrari/AMR/Mclaren

Can;t wait for 2nd Test

33 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

There does'nt seem to be a big difference between the C4's and the C5's....

"18:44 Hamilton sets a 1m19.141s to go top on C4 tyres, with 16 minutes of the test left to run. If he'd matched his earlier best third sector, it'd have been in the 1m18s..."

The 1m18s should really worry the competitors....

"18:53 Hamilton takes 0.003s out of his time to set a 1m19.138s - on C5s. He said he's been to the year, three-thousandths..."

"19:00 It looked as thought Hamilton was going to end the session with another fastest lap - but he backed off massively! What a tease..."

I believe only Max should be able to maybe go faster, but only just...

I'm revising my order: This is, of course, my personal perception...

1. RBR

2. Merc

3. Ferrari/AMR/Mclaren

Can;t wait for 2nd Test

Yours is an interesting observation, Brad. In addition, I've paid a bit attention to comments regarding impact of new designs on overtaking. From three or four comments my current understanding is as follows:

1. To early to tell, some drivers said. None of the drivers were really certain in absolute terms where they are. They all said they need time and more testing.

2. Cars are easier to follow, but no more expectations of aggressive sling shots. Pull is not that strong anymore.

3. Several cars will have to shed weight to get closer to min. mandated limit for better handling. (AM is one of those).

4. Porpoising could turn into a saftey issue, and situation might lead into an amendment to specs.

5. Max is brilliant.

6. Russel needs to tone down his c#ckiness. (Of course he will not).  

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

Yours is an interesting observation, Brad. In addition, I've paid a bit attention to comments regarding impact of new designs on overtaking. From three or four comments my current understanding is as follows:

1. To early to tell, some drivers said. None of the drivers were really certain in absolute terms where they are. They all said they need time and more testing.

2. Cars are easier to follow, but no more expectations of aggressive sling shots. Pull is not that strong anymore.

3. Several cars will have to shed weight to get closer to min. mandated limit for better handling. (AM is one of those).

4. Porpoising could turn into a saftey issue, and situation might lead into an amendment to specs.

5. Max is brilliant.

6. Russel needs to tone down his c#ckiness. (Of course he will not).  

I'm well aware of that.

But it's not that testing tells us nothing. Teams might be running heavy fuel loads, car characteristic etc  But I've always mantained, a fast car is a fast car. One can gauge from comparing and assessing rival data with comparable lap count and times, on the same compound. Ot how the car behaves over a lap.

That weight shedding could be rather problematic (sum of parts). Plus it does'nt guarantee a faster car. 

2 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

That weight shedding could be rather problematic (sum of parts). Plus it does'nt guarantee a faster car. 

Heavier car is (usually) less agile, and should use more fuel. Do you remember how Seb lost P2 last year?

2 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

This (rare) article is one of friendliest to Vettel I've read in a while.

VETTEL IN FULL: SOCIETY, ACTIVISM AND WHY F1 RISKS ‘DISAPPEARING’

Thanks to the writer, Seb received chance to explain himself, and say, what he wanted to say without usual misrepresentation.

Story about the team (by the article author) and a car seems to me rather premature. A lot of nostalgia is based on hope, to which I say, MAYBE.

I do not however trust British media, and expect them to turn on a heel, should things go wrong. 

DRIVERS COULD BE A LIMITING FACTOR

MATT BEER

Drivers could be a limiting factor, if AM is not higher up on the grid. Blaming game began, and we can define Beer's (future) vector of attack quite clearly. (I am familiar with the author's nonsensical rants from many years ago).

I shall end here with repeating my formerly stated opinion, that Seb is in a wrong team for a person of his convictions. The team is a British nationalistic entity in its image, something which is out of characters for Seb. People like Stroll, Whitmarsh, Beer and others will pounce and do the job on him, whether he deserves it, or not. Stroll after all already wanted to release him last year, yet we all know, that it was a car, not Vettel, which should have been trashed in 2021.

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

This (rare) article is one of friendliest to Vettel I've read in a while.

VETTEL IN FULL: SOCIETY, ACTIVISM AND WHY F1 RISKS ‘DISAPPEARING’

Thanks to the writer, Seb received chance to explain himself, and say, what he wanted to say without usual misrepresentation.

Story about the team (by the article author) and a car seems to me rather premature. A lot of nostalgia is based on hope, to which I say, MAYBE.

I do not however trust British media, and expect them to turn on a heel, should things go wrong. 

Drivers could be a limiting factor, if AM is not higher up on the grid. Blaming game began, and we can define Beer's (future) vector of attack quite clearly. (I am familiar with the author's nonsensical rants from many years ago).

I shall end here with repeating my formerly stated opinion, that Seb is in a wrong team for a person of his convictions. The team is a British nationalistic entity in its image, something which is out of characters for Seb. People like Stroll, Whitmarsh, Beer and others will pounce and do the job on him, whether he deserves it, or not. Stroll after all already wanted to release him last year, yet we all know, that it was a car, not Vettel, which should have been trashed in 2021.

That was in my mind too.

On 2/25/2022 at 1:46 PM, Sakae said:

This is why those idi**s need more and earlier testing time. Their schedule is lousy, insulting joke. Just like in 2014. New technology, less testing, stupid tokens, etc. This happens when accountants, lawyers and PR men deciding about engineering subjects they know nothing about.

stuff that u were talking about

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/819261/Haas_Guenther_Steiner_We_had_three_days_of_testing_but_really_we_only_managed_one/

29 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Think about it this way. The teams had first sniff how car behaves. Some managed better than others. Wolf thinks that Ferrari decided in 2020 to drop everything ongoing, and focus very early on 2022. So red team is now ahead.

There are in fact only about 4 to 5 days between second test and first race. What can teams really do in that time to act of results of a second test, especially if it comes to a large mod.? The season even didn't started, and due to staff reduction, those who work, so I heard, are tired already doing double duties. How long that can last?

I would like someone explain to me, what's behind all those roadblocks thrown in front of teams, just to ensure they will field an underdeveloped racer in March. I am not talking about something to replicate a sizeable gap MB had on others in 2014. I am thinking to have merely a basic car in a reasonable condition so it can race for points, as opposed to be happy just to finish all laps.  

D/T 2022.03.03 20:57 UTC

Leclerc reveals porpoising affected by DRS, admits most teams underestimated it

Statements like this one again and again are supporting my view, that teams for variety of reasons don't test enough in timely manner (so they can do something before season begins). Despite all sophistication of digital world, we repeatedly learn how devastated teams are by errors in design assumptions, and shortcomings of modeling. AM basically lost full year of 2021, because it was only in racing season they realized in what kind of mess they are. This time around we see it again, yet neither FiA or Liberty cannot be moved to lift restrictions, suspend budgetary limits and get the things fixed for sake of fan satisfaction from competitive racing. I really don't care to see repetition of 2014 being dragged for next 3 or 4 years, when a one or two teams fly, and rest of them are on their knees stuck in mud.

Automakers like Mercedes and BMW have their factory based tracks, and despite having in-house immense computing power, they do run test after test, collect data, then they sent their cars into extreme climates and run reliability tests again and again. It is only in the F1, where some people think testing is just waste of money. (The other automakers of course run similar testing programs. I am just familiar with those two).

D/T 2022.03.06 7:37 UTC

Time is up.

We are (almost) there. Winter break produced a cistern of tears, and hopefully that will be parked out of sight now. For me personally last time I was that much uncertain about pecking order was Feb 2014. This time around it's similar. Moreover, I don't know how long it will take before dust settles and potential winners emerge. It is also first time I do believe some secrets will not be revealed during forthcoming test, and sandbagging could make sense. No one will want to confirm they hit the jackpot, and if there is any design copying, let's delay that as long as possible.  

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

D/T 2022.03.06 7:37 UTC

Time is up.

We are (almost) there. Winter break produced a cistern of tears, and hopefully that will be parked out of sight now. For me personally last time I was that much uncertain about pecking order was Feb 2014. This time around it's similar. Moreover, I don't know how long it will take before dust settles and potential winners emerge. It is also first time I do believe some secrets will not be revealed during forthcoming test, and sandbagging could make sense. No one will want to confirm they hit the jackpot, and if there is any design copying, let's delay that as long as possible.  

I have a distinc feeling AMR ran heavy. But then, so did most of the teams. Fine-tune those bloody issues!

19 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

I have a distinc feeling AMR ran heavy. But then, so did most of the teams. Fine-tune those bloody issues!

I think so too. Ever since F1 ceased to re-fuel cars in races, there is very little point to waste limited time they have on running with an empty tank. They have probably need for such data in support of strategy applied in final stages of the race, I would think, but such test could be limited to a few laps. This week we get better idea how the grid is formed under new rules. MB and RBR have no habits running on empty tanks, if my recollection on their history is a correct one.

D/T 2022.03.07 7:02 UTC

GP247: Seb speaking about his new car after first test.

“The car wants to be driven in a different way, I am playing with driving styles and what I can do. Equally we are playing with the car, we are trying to sort some problems that we have, some of the challenges that we’ve faced, find solutions,” the four-time F1 Champion explained.

Is this going to be sorted out in next two weeks (before first race)? Seems like a lot to do. I feel for the driver.  He is attempting to adopt new driving style, yet constantly evolving car characteristics might perhaps necessitating negating his newly acquired approach, and re-learn new one. This is not going to be easy, and might last potentially full season before design stabilizes sufficiently. There is probably a lot of people living in stress these days, fans included.

Mazepin is not impressed with latest developments concerning his career in the F1. I am not sure if this is the end for him, or in the future his family will follow in Mr. Stroll's steps to fame.