Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Taku

Europe & Usa

now that i've finished uni i'm planning a trip to europe and the usa in august-nov.

2 months in europe and 1 month in usa. so europeans and americans please post your recommendations for places to visit here. i will be concentrating on the east coast of usa + san fran.

also welcome are any tales or suggestions from those who have travelled these regions before.

cool motorsport-related destinations are welcomed, but i also enjoy photography (so anything beautiful to snap), rugby, soccer :P , red wine & good food, beer & pubs, nightclubbing , sightseeing, nature and relaxation. if you could list, say 5 must-see places or must-do things it would be appreciated.

as for gps i'm thinking spa on sept 12, or monza.

cheers!

USA in August: Go to the Brickyard 400. It's the NASCAR race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, where the "GP" was held.

UK...

-London is a must see, my recommendations is to take in a west end musical (les miserable is the best ive seen) and just get on one of the sightseeing lodon buss's which you pay a set fee for nd just hop on and off!

-New forest (then ull see the incredible me, LOL) JOkE.

Italy...

-Rome is a beautiful city, it really appealled to me, its stunning. You can do it quickly in two days. must sees would be the Vatican (sistein chapel is beautiful). The Trevi Fountain, stunninh piece of arcitecture, stunning, The spanish steps with all the shops around there. The collesseum, the roman forum. And make sure you have an ice cream from a gallateria? ( i think thats what they are called) The italians do know how to make incredible food.

- Venice is again stunning for OBV reasons.

- Florence and Pisa, again florence is stunning and pisa, the leaning tower :D

Spain...

-Barcelona, visit the sagrada familia (gaudis cathedral) and Park Guell. Also the olympic area is interesting! The whole city again is stunning and highly interesting. Also visit Unversals Port Aventura theme park next to Salou!

-Granada - Alhambra palace is stunning, and check out the sierra nevada (though it wont be snowy at the time u cud go)

Greece...

-Athens is a must see, its soo beautiful and steeped in history!

They are IMO the top places ive been in europe!

USA in August: Go to the Brickyard 400. It's the NASCAR race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, where the "GP" was held.

i'll be in the usa in october. anything big on then?

thanks mate good recommendations ;)   looks like i'll have to spend more time in italy.

Yeah u should. I love italy! Also when i last went i was legaly allowed to drink :D so u can imagine me down the br with my mats getting p**sed. It was great fun! it was a college trip as well! lol

i'll be in the usa in october.  anything big on then?

Talladega Alabama the first week of October. NASCAR race there, trust me, ill be watching it on TV and it's a great race to go to.

i would love to go to a nascar race but will be focussed on teh east coat. is alabama close to the east coast?

I'm speaking through a little bias here, but I recommend you go to Malta. From what I know, it's only a 2 hour or so ferry trip from Italy and is one of the most beautiful countries in Europe.

haha yeah i was goin over a map of italy this arvo and i saw malta and i was like hey i know someone from malta. then i remembered euro song contest then it clicked ah that's right shaun from da forums :lol:

i don't know if i'll have the time to get that far south, as i was struggling to fit sicily in as it is.

Alabama is not exactly on the coast, but it is on the Gulf Coast, as in the Guld of Mexico. The track is about 500 miles (rough estimate) inland.

I reckon you should go to paris, barcelona, rome, berlin, london and (if you're going this far) St Petersburg, believe me, it's worth going there if you can (and if you can understand cyrillic)

If you happen to be in germany (hockenheim) on 23rd october then you can catch dtm with its lovely open pit lanes :D

UK...

-London is a must see, my recommendations is to take in a west end musical (les miserable is the best ive seen) and just get on one of the sightseeing lodon buss's which you pay a set fee for nd just hop on and off!

-New forest (then ull see the incredible me, LOL) JOkE.

Italy...

-Rome is a beautiful city, it really appealled to me, its stunning. You can do it quickly in two days. must sees would be the Vatican (sistein chapel is beautiful). The Trevi Fountain, stunninh piece of arcitecture, stunning, The spanish steps with all the shops around there. The collesseum, the roman forum. And make sure you have an ice cream from a gallateria? ( i think thats what they are called) The italians do know how to make incredible food.

- Venice is again stunning for OBV reasons.

- Florence and Pisa, again florence is stunning and pisa, the leaning tower :D

How far is New Forest from London?

I reckon you should go to paris, barcelona, rome, berlin, london and (if you're going this far) St Petersburg, believe me, it's worth going there if you can (and if you can understand cyrillic)

If you happen to be in germany (hockenheim) on 23rd october then you can catch dtm with its lovely open pit lanes :D

all those cities are on my itenarary but i'm looking more at specific places to visit within those cities. yes i think i'll have to fit st petersburg in too. dtm is an interesting option cheers.

"haha yeah i was goin over a map of italy this arvo and i saw malta and i was like hey i know someone from malta. then i remembered euro song contest then it clicked ah that's right shaun from da forums"

:lol:

"i don't know if i'll have the time to get that far south, as i was struggling to fit sicily in as it is."

oh ok, but if you have a spare day, I highly recommend it.

okay, here are some east coast places and things to do.

Since you will be here in the fall, weather could be GREAT of dismal. The past few years, it has been pleasant here between 9-19 degrees Celsius. The fall foliage of New England is a wonderful thing to do, Vermont has specific tours and vacations just for this. Since we drive on the wrong side of the road here :D:D , you might want to book one of the driving tours..... website - http://www.vermontfallfoliage.com/thumbs00.shtml

Boston is a wonderful old city, the downtown area near the harbor is fantastic, pricey to stay down there, but great night life and buildings. Bed and Breakfast places are big up in New England. http://www.searchboston.com/dir/Boston/

Of course NYC,

that's great kennye thank you very much, as i'm looking at nyc, dc, boston and chicago. also san fran on the west coast. i will look at the sites you have mentioned. i particularly like the summary for dc, the smithsonian sounds cool.

you're right i'm not not really interested in the theme parks as i'll be travelling usa alone, but as for the hot beaches and ladies that's another story! :lol:

as for nyc if you don't mind i might pm you closer to my arrival date for your latest tips ;) cheers again for the tips!

Taku, feel free to PM me. I will be happy to help your stay in my country and city a nice experience.

If you need me to check anything out in NYC or any other city, let me know and I will do my best to assist you.

Chicago is also a nice city, was there again in mid May. Very clean with flower planters everywhere. I will get in touch with my cousin to get you details on what to do there. She has lived there for close to 20 years and should have good ideas.

B) Why San Fran? San Diego is much more pleasant and affordable more to see and do, plus you can always day-trip to TJ. for a bit of Mexico flavor---Frisco has the Golden Gate Bridge, Chinatown, the largest drugged out homless population on the west coast and the most expensive rooms and food. PM me for the low-down on S.D. Zoo, Sea World,Balboa Park etc. :D

Taku, feel free to PM me. I will be happy to help your stay in my country and city a nice experience.

If you need me to check anything out in NYC or any other city, let me know and I will do my best to assist you.

Chicago is also a nice city, was there again in mid May. Very clean with flower planters everywhere. I will get in touch with my cousin to get you details on what to do there. She has lived there for close to 20 years and should have good ideas.

once again thank you kennye you've been fantastic :)

B) Why San Fran?  San Diego is much more pleasant and affordable more to see and do, plus you can always day-trip to TJ. for a bit of Mexico flavor---Frisco has the Golden Gate Bridge, Chinatown, the largest drugged out homless population on the west coast and the most expensive rooms and food. PM me for the low-down on S.D. Zoo, Sea World,Balboa Park etc. :D

simply because i've heard so much about san fran.

i went to los angeles with my family when i was younger, and did the day trip to tj, which blew my mind! on that trip we passed through san diego, but not for long so i don't know much about it unfortunately. i do remember being freaked out by the planes landing in the city! are you from los angeles or san diego?

simply because i've heard so much about san fran. 

i went to los angeles with my family when i was younger, and did the day trip to tj, which blew my mind!  on that trip we passed through san diego, but not for long so i don't know much about it unfortunately.  i do remember being freaked out by the planes landing in the city!  are you from los angeles or san diego?

Escondido about 30 miles north of San Diego.

Landing at the airport is quite the experiance for sure as the last 2or3 miles you look right on top of houses etc. ant the last 1/2 mile or so you're looking at the taller buildings as you fly by---I've done it at least 30-35 times :D

I'll chime in & say that Chicago is a great city! My father used to live there, and I spent close to two years there after I graduated from college. Most interesting things to do are downtown e.g. Shedd Aquarium, Museum of Science & Industry, Art Institute, etc.

Chicago is a great city

And don't forget you can also visit Sue over at the Field Museum right next door to the aquarium...

Great museums all along Lake Shore Drive. (I think that's the street) Stay away from the Navy Pier thought, tourist trap. If you do go there, plan on about 1/2 hour and not at lunch time with all the school kids taking their trips..... AAAHHH was there in May, the noise was louder than a 747 taking off. I was there with WWII Navy vets (my Dad's ship), you can bet they did not enjoy the 2 hours we had to be their with our tour... Nothing worse than 80-90 year olds in a bad mood and on a bus. :lol: