Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Senna

Mansell: Gpm Is Long Overdue

MANSELL: GPM IS LONG OVERDUE

ITV

35229_1.jpg

Nigel Mansell described his return to Silverstone - the scene of some of his greatest triumphs - as "a dream" after completing two days testing for the new Grand Prix Masters series.

The 1992 world champion joined Emerson Fittipaldi, Patrick Tambay, Riccardo Patrese and Derek Warwick as well as several other former Formula 1 stars who acclimatised themselves to the self-styled "seniors tour" on Wednesday and Thursday.

The GPM series is aimed at drivers over 45 years-old with F1 pedigree.

And Mansell claims the new concept, which plans to have 14 cars lined up on the grid for the first race at South Africa's Kyalami track on November 13, will be a real crowd-puller.

"For me, this is long overdue," he said.

"You have this sort of thing in tennis, golf and soccer. It has been muted for seven years or more.

"This is fantastic for motorsport and for the fans it is even more fantastic."

35230_1.jpg

Mansell said the 600bhp, Delta Motorsport-produced Grand Prix Masters cars are great fun to drive, and with their lack of traction control and "electronic gizmos" provide drivers with a "proper challenge".

"Do you know, joking apart, I never thought anything in motorsport would surpass my expectation because it is quite high, and if I am truthful I think they are too quick!" he said.

"They are awesome, no power steering, no traction control, driver input up and down the gears, the brakes you have to pay attention to, they are steel, but the whole concept and set-up and balance of the car is really challenging.

"It is a handful and it gets your attention and I think this is why these drivers have gravitated to it.

"This concept is unbelievable."

:clap3: Proper racing in proper cars.................

:clap3: Proper racing in proper cars.................

with proper drivers...

Hmmm. Alex Caffi? Andrea de Crasheris, sorry, Cesaris? It'll be just like the good old days.

de Cesaris was the 80's-early 90's version of Sato, so the series in effect has it's own 'Sato'

To compare him to Sato is to do the Italian a major disservice. Andrea de Cesaris got 5 podiums, a pole position and a fastest lap in his career. Sato will never come close to this

Ok, I agree I may have been harsh on him, but he did have a knack of crashing into anything and everything on track though. I've seen season review videos and in some seasons, he's crashed almost once a race

Ok, I agree I may have been harsh on him, but he did have a knack of crashing into anything and everything on track though. I've seen season review videos and in some seasons, he's crashed almost once a race

In the mexican GP back in 1986, Andrea had to push the beautiful Jordan in order to finish the race, he finished the gas out of time, the cheers were tremendous, a fighter anyway...

3.jpg

In the mexican GP back in 1986, Andrea had to push the beautiful Jordan in order to finish the race, he finished the gas out of time, the cheers were tremendous, a fighter anyway...

3.jpg

Didn't Jean Alesi manage a similar feat on the last lap of Monaco in the mid-90s?

3.jpg

my mistake... it was 1991...sorry mates I

I recall Nigel Mansell collapsing after pushing his car across the line at Dallas I think it was when he was with the JPS Lotus team. The guy had balls.

my mistake... it was 1991...sorry mates I