Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hobbit

V8s

will v8s be better  

15 members have voted

1. 1. v8s better or not

• yes
    • no

JENSON: V8S TO REWARD THE BEST DRIVERS

Last Updated: Saturday, 04, March, 2006, 14:49

Click to enlarge

Jenson Button is relishing the opportunity to race the next generation of Formula 1 cars for the first time in Bahrain next weekend.

Britain's best hope of grand prix glory told ITV Sport's season preview show that the new breed of 2.4-litre V8 engines will allow drivers to use more of their talents as the reduction in power makes it harder to mask mistakes.

Button, regarded as one of the smoothest drivers on the grid, is looking forward to the new challenge.

"The V8 engines have less power so there no get out of jail free card if you make a mistake," the Honda star told ITV Sport's new presenter Steve Rider.

"There isn't the torque and power to get you out of trouble.

"But that's good and I think it will make for more interesting racing."

Button ended his winter testing programme at Barcelona fastest of all with a lap just 0.4s off the old V10 lap record, while Honda's test driver Anthony Davidson went a second faster than anyone else in the final test of the winter at Valencia.

Despite such encouraging signs, Button remains wary of the competition.

"Renault and Ferrari have both been impressive in testing," he said.

"Of those two I think Renault will be the strongest force. But you can't count out Ferrari, they will be back for sure."

Jenson also expects a significant amount of competition from his new team-mate and former Ferrari star Rubens Barrichello.

"He's going to be very competitive," Button added.

"Rubens has come to us very hungry and he's very fast. I think we can work together well off the track, but it will be close on it.

"In 2004 we had some very close battles. He is a very clean racer.

"We have had some good races together and I'm sure we will find each other on the track this year."

I actually like the fact its all change for this year, and the field has been levelled slightly. However I dont like the fact it's now slower than last year. I hope for the sake of the sport that it dosnt become any slower than it already is, otherwise whats the point?

I actually like the fact its all change for this year, and the field has been levelled slightly. However I dont like the fact it's now slower than last year. I hope for the sake of the sport that it dosnt become any slower than it already is, otherwise whats the point?

I quiet like the change and think we will not really notice the speed change. Well i hope that we don't anyway

lol why do you hate jenson so much then. But i do agree with you that he wont win any races this season

do you have big hariy feet like real hobbits?

Do you like LOTR and if so do you agree the first film shudda included tom bombadill?

Jensons driving style will suit the lower power levels as mentioned for sure. All is in Jensons favour to have a cracking season, lets hope that he makes the most of his big chance this year.

Last year and before as well, the HONDAs qualified mid to end of the first ten on average. This year I feel they will do a little better and should have 2nd, 3rd, 4th qualifying slots on average going by winter testing. On and off they will have pole as well.

Given that the HONDA engine seems to be strong, there is a chance that they have been a little above the limit for overall race stability and the winter testing seems like they wanted to intimidate some of the front runners though they are in it.

If they qualify well, and with the apparent highest reving engines on the grid (according to competetion), HONDA may do what RENAULTs did last year on green lights.

Yes, Jenson is a smoother driver but Ruben knows how to be tough after living with MS for so long. In my opinion, end of the season, Rubens will be ahead of Button but Button may win a race or 2 and Honda would be 4th and if luck plays in - 3rd in the Manufacturers standings.

do you have big hariy feet like real hobbits?

Do you like LOTR and if so do you agree the first film shudda included tom bombadill?

Yeah big hairy feet lol. LOTR should of had bombadill in it for definate.

i know. Especially the song he sings, i wanted to see if they had a similar tune to it. :lol:

And mate, please get those skanky feet sorted :lol:

Yesterday I watched F1 magazine on our tv..and our commentator said that V8 engines already have around 800 horse power which just 100-120 less than V10...

So if this is true, and for sure the engineers and engine manufacturers will try to improve cars during the year... do you think that cars could come close to last year times at the middle or at the end of the season??

I think by the end of the season they will be just under a second behind last years times

I would agree with you there with the way they move technology on it will probably be a good thing to. And cant see that you would notice the difference in pace anyway

Yes I am 100% sure that only the best drivers will get everything out of the V8's. You really have to carry speed into the corners now.

Now we just need to get some damn slicks!

Yes I am 100% sure that only the best drivers will get everything out of the V8's. You really have to carry speed into the corners now.

Now we just need to get some damn slicks!

It will show who is good and who is not during a full race. Would love to see the slicks again

when the move was made form v12's to v10's the engineirs asured the FIA the engins could never reach over 750hp, in 05, hoda almost hit 1000hp, you think that the v8s will never get over 900 your kiding yourseleves. the only thing that will happen is that the v8s will never have as much torque. i say that in 3 years the v8s will be just as if not more powerfull then the 05 engins

Agree, it will only be a matter of time before the power levels are back to 2005 3.0ltr V10 spec. With the current rate of development it could be sooner than 3 years!!

Agree, it will only be a matter of time before the power levels are back to 2005 3.0ltr V10 spec. With the current rate of development it could be sooner than 3 years!!

I agree with you there. The rate of development it just amazing.