Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hobbit

Eddie Jordan

JORDAN HASN'T RULED OUT F1 RETURN

Last Updated: Tuesday, 07, March, 2006, 16:21

Click to enlarge

Former Formula 1 team boss Eddie Jordan has not ruled out a return to the sport in the future, but only if the astronomical costs involved can be curbed dramatically.

In an interview in Tuesday's Daily Express, Jordan, who sold his team to Russian billionaire Alex Shnaider 14 months ago, said that while he still loved F1 he didn't believe it was possible to compete against the economical might of the car-makers in the current climate.

"If the lunatics can be controlled I would have every reason to come back and look at F1," he said.

Jordan claims that the escalation in operating costs, where the top teams are estimated to spend more than $US200m annually, has made the sport unviable for privateers.

"I know the circumstances have changed so dramatically so much in the last few years that I would not have been able to continue, never mind compete.

"The manufacturer teams have really lost it and left me disappointed.

"They have had no consideration or regard for the individual teams. They have come into a championship which was created and run by private teams and with their cash totally abused it.

"At the moment they are throwing away US$500m in testing behind closed doors. They need to get a grip on this immediately."

Jordan also claimed that the sport's long-term future could be under threat if the budgets are not brought back under control.

According to the former owner of the team now known as Midland, unless F1 remains open to privateer entries the sport could be crippled if and when the car-makers decide they have achieved their objectives and quit.

"We have seen Alex Shnaider and Dietrich Mateschitz, who are successful and reputable businessmen, enter F1, but can even they succeed?

"The manufacturers will go, it's in their marketing strategy, and what will be left? I applaud Ferrari, who have a long, hard continuous involvement. Anything they get they deserve.

"But I am aggrieved that no young person can afford to get in as I did."

thats right, people always talk smak about Ferrari but it is the team that has shown the most love for the sport, even when they didnt win for 27 years! they stayed in. thats comitment.

Yes even I must applaud Ferrari for its commitment, even tho it sometimes only seems to care about itself. As for Jordan returning, well all he said was I may come and look at f1, but if he did return that would be amazing, Jordan were by far my favourite team til they got taken over (especially when Hill was there), and they brought attention and fans to f1 with their unique image. It would be brilliant if in 08/09 we could see yellow Jordans back where they belong, and able to compete (altho surely EJ would want his staff back form midland??)

It would be great to see EJ back in F1. The excitement that his team brought to the sport have been missed for the last year or so. Lets hope that F1 in the near future can be a viable option for him. You never know, he might buy the entire Midland Team back, staff and all.

You never know what the future holds.

You never know, he might buy the entire Midland Team back, staff and all.

That wouldnt be entirely surprising, especially seeing as Schnaider will soon realise that this f1 business is much harder than he thought

Yeah would be good to see someone like him back in F1

Yeah like a pimple on a pretty girls face

And whats so bad about Eddie?

Nothing, I just always wanted to use that reply :lol: