Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SIDEPOD

Jacques To Race Le Mans With Peugeot

source: http://jv-world.com/news/story_10341.shtml

Good news! It has been confirmed that Jacques will drive a diesel-powered Peugeot in this year's Le Mans 24 Hours sportscar race.

In a statement released on January 10, Peugeot announced that Jacques will form part of a six man, two-car team for the June 16-17 race at the Sarthe circuit. He will be the first Formula One champion to compete in the classic race since American Mario Andretti's last appearance in 2000.

He will join forces with Ferrari's Spanish Formula One test driver Marc Gene, Portugal's Pedro Lamy, France's ChampCar champion Sebastien Bourdais and French drivers Nicolas Minassian and Stephane Sarrazin.

"Jacques is someone who has turned up and won every competition that he's undertaken," commented Peugeot's team manager Serge Saulnier. "I like his sporting spirit and knew that he'd dreamed of taking part in the Le Mans 24 Hours. When I contacted him, he convinced me that he could become the first driver in the world to win Formula One, Champcar, Indianapolis and the Le Mans 24 Hours," he added.

Jacques won the Indy 500 in 1995, the CART title that same year and then the Formula One crown with Williams in 1997.

source: http://jv-world.com/news/story_10341.shtml

Good news! It has been confirmed that Jacques will drive a diesel-powered Peugeot in this year's Le Mans 24 Hours sportscar race.

In a statement released on January 10, Peugeot announced that Jacques will form part of a six man, two-car team for the June 16-17 race at the Sarthe circuit. He will be the first Formula One champion to compete in the classic race since American Mario Andretti's last appearance in 2000.

He will join forces with Ferrari's Spanish Formula One test driver Marc Gene, Portugal's Pedro Lamy, France's ChampCar champion Sebastien Bourdais and French drivers Nicolas Minassian and Stephane Sarrazin.

"Jacques is someone who has turned up and won every competition that he's undertaken," commented Peugeot's team manager Serge Saulnier. "I like his sporting spirit and knew that he'd dreamed of taking part in the Le Mans 24 Hours. When I contacted him, he convinced me that he could become the first driver in the world to win Formula One, Champcar, Indianapolis and the Le Mans 24 Hours," he added.

Jacques won the Indy 500 in 1995, the CART title that same year and then the Formula One crown with Williams in 1997.

"This is a race I've always wanted and hoped to do" said Jacques at a presentation of the 908 Diesel HDi car. "It's quite a mystical race, a little like the Indy 500 in that way, and I'd really like to get it in the bag. Peugeot are such a professional outfit with a great racing history and passion, which makes this really exciting - and the car looks fantastic too. It would be amazing to get the quadruple crown so to speak."

Jacques added that he was still also interested in eventually following Colombian Juan Pablo Montoya from Formula One to NASCAR.

Peugeot won Le Mans in 1992 and 1993 and started their current programme in 2005 after they withdrew from the world rally championship. The manufacturer said 2007 would be a 'breaking-in' period before going for victory in 2008. More information can be found at www.peugeot-sport.com

GO JV go... :clap3::clap3: BMW what do u say now??? :P

I'm with you here. Jacques has a lot of racing left in him. Too bad it's not in F1. Oh well!

This topic has already been covered in "Outside the F1 Circus"

:D

So if JV wins Le Mans and in NASCAR wins the daytona 500, would he become the most successful driver in history? All these are big ifs, but would he? what about Paris Dakar after NASCAR? I would love to see him explore! :clap3:

if JV were to win le mans and get the 'quadruple crown' he should really go down in motorsport history as a legend; ironic isnt it when you consider his turbulent f1 career

Jacques is already part of racing history. Only a handful of drivers have accomplished what he has. Too bad schumucker didn't, or should i say could'nt.I'm sure there will be some negative comments about this, but who cares, schmucker did'nt and that is certainly in the books. go Jacques!!!

Jacques is already part of racing history. Only a handful of drivers have accomplished what he has. Too bad schumucker didn't, or should i say could'nt.I'm sure there will be some negative comments about this, but who cares, schmucker did'nt and that is certainly in the books. go Jacques!!!

Hmmmm, well Fangio wasn't as successful outside of F1 as Stirling Moss was, but I wouldn't say it has hurt his reputation any.......

I'd love him to finish the big four.

Peugeot are a pretty solid team but I wouldn't expect them to win it right away.

---

And wow I was really slow to realise that they were gone from Rallying.

I'd love him to finish the big four.

Peugeot are a pretty solid team but I wouldn't expect them to win it right away.

---

And wow I was really slow to realise that they were gone from Rallying.

Its difficult to say if J.V. can win with Peugeot, no matter who drives, Peugeot should first beat Audi!