Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

V8 Ace Slams 'worst' Gp Undercard

V8 SUPERCAR legend and lifelong motorsport fan John Bowe has described the program for the Australian Grand Prix this weekend as the worst ever.

Bowe, who raced in the Grand Prix in the 1980s at Calder Park and has won both the Bathurst 1000 and Australian Touring Car Championship, said yesterday that he was appalled by the quality of the support events at Albert Park this weekend.

"I have been to every Australian Grand Prix since 1986 and this is the worst supporting program I have ever seen," Bowe said.

"Looking at the program, I am quite disappointed."

Bowe, who is racing his final season in V8 Supercars this year under the banner "John's last Bowe", said his opinion was not coloured by the absence of the touring cars from this year's event.

He had hoped to compete at Albert Park in a V8 Supercar before ending his career, but was more worried about the spectators' reaction to an undercard without the biggest motorsport category in Australia.

"It's a real, real shame for the racing followers," he said.

"It's the centre of the car industry and a great opportunity for the competition's backers to be involved."

Mark Skaife and James Courtney, another two of the V8 Supercar frontrunners in Melbourne for lead-up events before the GP, also said they were disappointed not to be racing at Albert Park.

"As a driver, I am disappointed," Skaife said.

"It's an event we've enjoyed over the years. It would be good for us to be involved."

Courtney said: "I like driving on street circuits, so I would like to do it."

However he spoke for many V8 Supercar insiders when he said the series did not need to be at Albert Park.

"Our championship is big enough to stand alone. We don't need an event like the GP to prop it up," Courtney said.

"I think they will probably miss us."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,,21378307-23770,00.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree 100% with what John Bowe is saying. Last years Australian Grand Prix was great with the V8 Supercars and Konica V8 Series supporting the Formula 1. All up it was a packed day and the spectators got their moneys worth. Now because of a arguement between rival television channels the V8 Supercars and Konica series arnt there so now there is very little to entertain the fans other than the formula 1 itself. I hate it when two groups cant sort out their differences for the good of the fans.

I hate the V8's tbh, but I wish they could of replace them with something at least...

I hate the V8's tbh, but I wish they could of replace them with something at least...

Why do you hate the V8's???? Its pure grunt racing!!

I don't rate any of the drivers, the points system, the tracks... and a lot of the drivers are pure tools. (the only V8 race I like is Bathurst.)

I don't rate any of the drivers, the points system, the tracks... and a lot of the drivers are pure tools. (the only V8 race I like is Bathurst.)

Indeed.................

This is getting moved, it has nothing to do with F1.

I agree with Bowe's comments completely. It will be interesting to see how much not having the Supercars at the GP affects crowd numbers. Melbourne is also hosting the FINA World Swimining Championships this weekend as well, which will not help in attracting the crowds.

I like Courtney's statement near the end of the post.

Actually, I think this was done at Bernie's request because the fans would see actual racing and overtaking in the V8 race and the GP will be a let down of sorts.....

.....hey, OUCH! Dammit, stop throwing tomatoes, it sounded good when I typed it.....

This is getting moved, it has nothing to do with F1.

Did you read the article. It is about the spectators at a Formula 1 grnad prix and how they entire specticle wont be nearly as good as it has been in previous years which means fewer people will attend the grand prix.

I'm glad V8's aren't there, it's such a pile of s##t I think.

But they should replace it with something...

Does your 1 IQ point get lonely at night?

Whats your problem? It's my opinion, other people say they don't like V8 Supercars and you don't go bitting their heads off.

I'm not looking for a agruement here but that was abit of a rash comment you said.

Does your 1 IQ point get lonely at night?

Does yours?

Give the guy a break, it's his opinon...................