Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autumnpuma

Paffett Wins In Year-old Car

McLaren's Paffett makes DTM history

From itv-f1.com

McLaren Formula 1 tester Gary Paffett made history in the German DTM touring car series yesterday, when he became the first man to win a round of the championship in a year-old car.

Paffett, whose career is managed by ITV's Martin Brundle and Mark Blundell's 2MB company, charged from eighth on the grid to win at Oschersleben.

He has stepped back to the DTM - which he won in 2005 - this season to keep himself race sharp in preparation for his anticipated F1 debut in 2008.

With no space at Mercedes' leading team AMG, Paffett accepted the offer of a drive in Persson Motorsport's 2006-specification C-class.

Normally the year-old cars languish in the DTM midfield, but Paffett shrugged off the technological disadvantage to snatch victory at the twisty East German track.

He was followed home by his Scottish team-mate Paul di Resta, who races an even older 2005 machine.

"I had never expected to win my second DTM race after a one-year break," said Paffett.

"I thank everybody for their super job."

I'm not sure about the conditions of the race, but if it was a straight fight and Paffett still won in a year-old car, that's damned good. A place should be found for him on the F1 grid, likely it will be with Richards' team in '08. Bring it!

I'm not sure about the conditions of the race, but if it was a straight fight and Paffett still won in a year-old car, that's damned good. A place should be found for him on the F1 grid, likely it will be with Richards' team in '08. Bring it!

Agreed. Paffett does deserve a shot at F1. I think Honda will have a seat avaliable once they throw Button out on his arse :D

Agreed. Paffett does deserve a shot at F1. I think Honda will have a seat avaliable once they throw Button out on his arse :D

Was he special when he was testing for Mclaren?

No test driver is better than Pedro De La Rosa! Greatest test driver who ever lived :lol::lol:B) !

I dont know about that. I hear Wurz was a great test driver.

No test driver is better than Pedro De La Rosa! Greatest test driver who ever lived :lol::lol:B) !

I heard Pedro still lives! :P

I dont know about that. I hear Wurz was a great test driver.

I AGREE! I Think he was the best test driver, even now, I am sure he is the one who is one of the main force behind Williams's improvement!

Well, for the record, I saw the race and it was a pure fighting drive that saw him get to the front and then pull out enough time for a free pit stop.

He was the only driver to consistantly lap under 1 min 24 secs.

Also, the car in second place was a TWO year old Merc and the car is third was a year old Audi.

A place should be found for him on the F1 grid, likely it will be with Richards' team in '08. Bring it!

No it shouldn't, he isn't. He got the full Hamilton package, more if anything since Hamilton didn't get a full season of testing. He still got hammered by Hamilton in testing, though of course, Hamilton is special. The crucial fact is that he failed to match even Pedro in testing, all year. If anyone got the silver platter, he did, he doesn't deserve another chance.

That won't stop the press from mking anotherDavidson out of him though, particularly with Brundle pulling his weight.

No it shouldn't, he isn't. He got the full Hamilton package, more if anything since Hamilton didn't get a full season of testing. He still got hammered by Hamilton in testing, though of course, Hamilton is special. The crucial fact is that he failed to match even Pedro in testing, all year. If anyone got the silver platter, he did, he doesn't deserve another chance.

That won't stop the press from mking anotherDavidson out of him though, particularly with Brundle pulling his weight.

I haven't followed Paffett closely so I'll accept your judgment on him. He certainly didn't shine next to Pedro or Hamilton in testing. Not every driver is good at every discipline either. It could be possible that however much Paffett longs for F1, his talents might be striclty saloon.

You mean Rubens????

Wasn't Anthony Davidson a pretty fast tester? I have vague memories of him being close to the top of the time sheets a few times. Then again if he can't kick Sato's butt this year, it won't look good for him.