Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cavallino

2008 Mythbusters Thread

I 'm a bit frustrated at this news. All Ferrari engines that raced in the Grand Prix died of unknown causes... :furious: .

I 'm sure we all know a sort of "bug" could sabotage Ferrari's efforts for ALL upcoming races. And we all know that bug can be planted...

And what about that issue with the button sequence that Honda discovered and was changing the engine mapping, making it a lot more aggressive?

I believe having a team that is currently fighting for the F1 WDC and WCC built the ECU for its competitors, is idiotic and should never happen in the first place.

Lets suppose there is nothing wrong and the ECU is new to Mclaren as well, as they say and they have no advantage whatsoever. Who can possibly believe that? I quess we are headed to another WLC*

* World Lawyers Championship

I am not saying McLaren did that ECU to cause problems in the other 20 cars but for me it is a joke that every single F1 car has to wear that McLaren ECU. After that spy scandal it is even more ridiculous and the unique ECU should have been postponed or discarded.

I agree because of the sensitive nature of who has made the ECU but not because i think for one second that McLaren would be underhand about it. No way. In light of last year it would be suicide.

Ferrari are paranoid and should look a little closer to home to solving their problems. If they are seriouly attributing Sunday's fiasco to McLaren, Woking can kiss both trophies now.

I don't believe in the Macca conspiracy theory either. But I think it was stupid of FIA to offer Macca the ECU design. And it was stupid of Macca (unless they had no other alternative) to accept something knowing full well that they would be blamed for every electrical problem the other cars could have this season.

I don't believe in the Macca conspiracy theory either. But I think it was stupid of FIA to offer Macca the ECU design. And it was stupid of Macca (unless they had no other alternative) to accept something knowing full well that they would be blamed for every electrical problem the other cars could have this season.

It didn't look suspicious so far, but If you put all facts down, there are things that are hard to ignore.

In short

1. The ECU has shown suspicious behaviour (the Honda thing).

2. All Ferrari engines didn't make it to the checkered flag. we all know this is totally uncharacteristic of Ferrari.

3. Most importantly, Mclaren has last year's Ferrari in full detail. To plant a "bug" would be easier than taking candy from a baby... :bangin:

With Mosley breathing up Ron's neck and Ferrari and Macca engaged in a court war, I think you should be idiotic to try to sabotage the ECU when you know everybody will be watching it closely.

To sabotage it in such a way as to make all 6 Ferrari powered cars in the same race, would be as idiotic as getting your hands on another team's secret data, and going to a public photocopy store to duplicate them.

Seriously, I think Macca acted rather idiotic last year, and I think they are a little more evil than most people think. But I don't think they are that evil, nor that idiotic.

As for Ferrari "unbreakable" engines, that never applied to engines supplied to other teams, as they usually provide inferior technology. And let's not forget that for many years the Ferraris were as robust as a Ford Pinto.

With Mosley breathing up Ron's neck and Ferrari and Macca engaged in a court war, I think you should be idiotic to try to sabotage the ECU when you know everybody will be watching it closely.

To sabotage it in such a way as to make all 6 Ferrari powered cars in the same race, would be as idiotic as getting your hands on another team's secret data, and going to a public photocopy store to duplicate them.

Seriously, I think Macca acted rather idiotic last year, and I think they are a little more evil than most people think. But I don't think they are that evil, nor that idiotic.

As for Ferrari "unbreakable" engines, that never applied to engines supplied to other teams, as they usually provide inferior technology. And let's not forget that for many years the Ferraris were as robust as a Ford Pinto.

It doesn't have to be sabotage as we know it. It could be something that would happen occasionally and given the complexity and frequent problems the teams had with their own Ecu's, it would be really hard if not impossible to point the finger at Mclaren. It could be a "setting" that would not be compatible to the ferrari engine. Could they have known that? Given last year's spy-scandal thing, the answer is YES.

I am not saying McLaren did that ECU to cause problems in the other 20 cars but for me it is a joke that every single F1 car has to wear that McLaren ECU. After that spy scandal it is even more ridiculous and the unique ECU should have been postponed or discarded.

Indeed.

Indeed.

This is not going to end well!

Indeed!

We alrealdy knew it would not start well, FIA didn't?

The other way of looking at it is that it might be a shrewd move. It's up to others to prove that the ECU is sbotaged, not for McLaren to prove their innoncence. It is the other teams, therefore, who will be diverting their attention form racing if they chose to go down that line.

Ferrari will look again at the race footage. Slowly it will dawn on them that crashing, spinning, sleepy hangovers, twitchy right feet and broken engines were to blame, i think.

Forgive my typos; twitchy fingers and a sleepy hangover.