• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#1 Massa

Massa

Terry Labonte Retired

• Pit Crew
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:51 AM

Round two of the Formula One World Championship is this very weekend.  No time to digest; the season starts at 200 miles per hour with a two-in-two to start the calendar.  Works for me; I'd selfishly like 52 Grands Prix.

What from Melbourne applies?  What from Melbourne won't?  Will the picture get clearer or, as in last year's Malaysian Grand Prix, just become more confusing?

I'm excited to find out.  I love F1.
My avatar is not my work, but is in the public domain.  Releasing things into the public domain is a very nice thing to do if you ever can.

#2 The Shadow

The Shadow

Established Driver

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Interests:Engineering, Motorsport, Humour (with a "u" FFS!!), Self-Preservation

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

Yeah, so F1 finally comes round my neck of the woods.

It's been raining quite heavily every day from about 3pm - 6pm for the past 2 weeks. The rainy condition starts with wind picking up around 20mins before it pours buckets. When wind speed picks up you know rain is not far away. The rain starts of at biblical level and gradually reduces to light precipitation as sunset approaches.

Perhaps a quite surprising fact for a circuit that was described as "shabby" is a good track drainage (general undulations and cambered road surfaces), which should help get racing back on track if it does rain. However if one does a "pastor" and step into the wet grass, one should ideally be prepared at the pits for a new nose and floor, because water pools up under the grass and can pull components straight off.

If conditions are miraculously dry this weekend, sitting in the grandstands will give you sunburn even if you are shielded by the roofs because the intense heat will be reflected by the road surface. So that should give you guys an indication of how hot it is out here.

It's going to be a tricky race for the drivers, taking also into consideration the technical nature of the track.
Refer above for quotes

#3 Quiet One

Quiet One

The balding avenger

• Senior Members
  • 11,113 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

View PostThe Shadow, on 21 March 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

It's been raining quite heavily every day from about 3pm - 6pm for the past 2 weeks. The rainy condition starts with wind picking up around 20mins before it pours buckets. When wind speed picks up you know rain is not far away. The rain starts of at biblical level and gradually reduces to light precipitation as sunset approaches.

Perhaps a quite surprising fact for a circuit that was described as "shabby" is a good track drainage (general undulations and cambered road surfaces), which should help get racing back on track if it does rain. However if one does a "pastor" and step into the wet grass, one should ideally be prepared at the pits for a new nose and floor, because water pools up under the grass and can pull components straight off.

If conditions are miraculously dry this weekend, sitting in the grandstands will give you sunburn even if you are shielded by the roofs because the intense heat will be reflected by the road surface. So that should give you guys an indication of how hot it is out here.

It's going to be a tricky race for the drivers, taking also into consideration the technical nature of the track.
Sepang has always been considered one of the most (if not the most) physically demanding circuits. Alonso collapsing from dehydration in 2007 after his drink system malfunctioned comes to mind.
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the Universe, and it has a longer shelf life" - Frank Zappa

"Great drivers are the ones who win the races they're not supposed to" - K.Chandhok

#4 freaky2

freaky2

Elemental de Rayo

• Senior Members
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

Well, I just checked F1.com for the practice times and, surprise surprise, storm expected all three days! Is the Safety car going to cross the start and finish line first? Will they postpone qualifying to then find out that it won't work anyway? Is it gonna be a race weekend or a popsicle-eating weekend?

I hope it will be racing! XD
Posted Image

#5 Kati

Kati

F1 Ace

• Senior Members
  • 2,118 posts
  • Interests:Formula One, Sebastian Vettel :)

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

yaaaay! boat race!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Kati, Sebastian-Vettel.ORG

I'm back, and I will keep my old signature image just to point out I WAS RIGHT.

#6 JHS18

JHS18

F1 Ace

• Senior Members
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

The thing I'm finding extremely ironic about this weekend is that they've moved the start time back to cater to us lazy Europeans (the very place Ecclestone says F1 is "finished" in) therefore increasing the possibility that it'll once again be red flagged due to a tropical storm.

Any point getting up for it with that in mind? Not really. You'll probably be wasting time watching these "best drivers in the world" stationary on the grid for several hours, because they can't race in the wet, before it gets called due to "fading light."

It really wouldn't take much for someone to find some sense and move the start time to earlier in the day like it used to be...

Edited by JHS18, 21 March 2013 - 09:21 PM.

Posted Image

#7 The Shadow

The Shadow

Established Driver

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Interests:Engineering, Motorsport, Humour (with a "u" FFS!!), Self-Preservation

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:57 AM

It could potentially be worse if the start were pushed forward. It almost never rains in the morning over here in KL. If we were to start the race at 2pm instead of 4pm, we will probably start hot and dry, but as 3pm comes along (the average time rain starts here over the past 4 weeks) we would effectively have a red flag situation because in the first 15-20 minutes of rain, visibility will drop to about 30meters at best, and that is one major hazard to drivers and marshals that will even trouble the safety car, never mind the racing cars.

My guess is that by starting at 4pm, they hope to get the initial downpour out of the way and run a wet/inter/medium race to the flag. Of course I cannot be certain, all i can say is the teams better keep looking at the clouds northwest (the usual direction of wind in the afternoon)

In essence what I would say is that if you wanted to see the indications of who's who this season, look at the times in practice and qualifying. The race will probably be a lottery so it wouldn't really have too much bearing on which teams are going to be strong all season. But do look forward to good racecraft, strategy and timely calls for tyre changes.
Refer above for quotes

#8 BradSpeedMan

BradSpeedMan

F1 Ace

• Senior Members
  • 7,659 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:21 AM

ok, so I expected rainy weather for practise...and it aint...hope it last
Posted Image

We keep on working, we do our thing, Vettel shouts over the team radio,We are who we are!

"Vettel is a champion. That’s not referring to his achievements, but rather to his approach to everything he does. He wins. All the time. His preparation is meticulous, his attention to detail reminiscent of Michael Schumacher at his peak, and his performance on the track is almost always flawless. Vettel is capable only of domination. He knows no other way... Vettel is not in Formula One to be liked. He is there to win. And in the words of Ayrton Senna, perhaps the greatest of all Formula One drivers, “Nice men don’t win.”"
Chris Cameron-Dow

"One might be tempted to say Ferrari are inconsistent this year. I think the opposite.
They are having one very good race followed by one very poor race. Consistently.
"
Multi21 on JA blog

#9 BradSpeedMan

BradSpeedMan

F1 Ace

• Senior Members
  • 7,659 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:28 AM

Kimi's car being re-assembled, problem with KERS it seems
Posted Image

We keep on working, we do our thing, Vettel shouts over the team radio,We are who we are!

"Vettel is a champion. That’s not referring to his achievements, but rather to his approach to everything he does. He wins. All the time. His preparation is meticulous, his attention to detail reminiscent of Michael Schumacher at his peak, and his performance on the track is almost always flawless. Vettel is capable only of domination. He knows no other way... Vettel is not in Formula One to be liked. He is there to win. And in the words of Ayrton Senna, perhaps the greatest of all Formula One drivers, “Nice men don’t win.”"
Chris Cameron-Dow

"One might be tempted to say Ferrari are inconsistent this year. I think the opposite.
They are having one very good race followed by one very poor race. Consistently.
"
Multi21 on JA blog

#10 Quiet One

Quiet One

The balding avenger

• Senior Members
  • 11,113 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:30 AM

Practice 1 underway and it seems a sunny day.
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the Universe, and it has a longer shelf life" - Frank Zappa

"Great drivers are the ones who win the races they're not supposed to" - K.Chandhok

#11 Massa

Massa

Terry Labonte Retired

• Pit Crew
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:58 AM

View PostThe Shadow, on 21 March 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

Great contributions there.  It's just amazing that anyone could do anything at 200 mph, and to do it in conditions that hot, and potentially that wet, is just so awesome to me.

View PostJHS18, on 21 March 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

The thing I'm finding extremely ironic about this weekend is that they've moved the start time back to cater to us lazy Europeans (the very place Ecclestone says F1 is "finished" in) therefore increasing the possibility that it'll once again be red flagged due to a tropical storm.

Any point getting up for it with that in mind? Not really. You'll probably be wasting time watching these "best drivers in the world" stationary on the grid for several hours, because they can't race in the wet, before it gets called due to "fading light."

It really wouldn't take much for someone to find some sense and move the start time to earlier in the day like it used to be...

I wouldn't get too angry about a situation that hasn't even happened yet.  I'm looking forward to enjoying the racing this weekend and won't fault Ecclestone et al for not being able to project hour-by-hour weather reports months in advance.  Why go into Sunday convincing yourself you'll be dissatisfied?  It only guarantees that.

Anyway, the Red Bull RB9 is looking strong so far.  It may not mean much, depending on conditions in the race, whether that's weather or tires.
My avatar is not my work, but is in the public domain.  Releasing things into the public domain is a very nice thing to do if you ever can.

#12 BradSpeedMan

BradSpeedMan

F1 Ace

• Senior Members
  • 7,659 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:07 AM

View PostMassa, on 22 March 2013 - 02:58 AM, said:

I wouldn't get too angry about a situation that hasn't even happened yet.  I'm looking forward to enjoying the racing this weekend and won't fault Ecclestone et al for not being able to project hour-by-hour weather reports months in advance.  Why go into Sunday convincing yourself you'll be dissatisfied?  It only guarantees that.
+1 Posted Image
Posted Image

Chris Cameron-Dow

"
Multi21 on JA blog

#13 Quiet One

Quiet One

The balding avenger

• Senior Members
  • 11,113 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:21 AM

A Montoya-like moment for Sutil:

Pit:"Stay away from the kerbs"
AS: "No KERS, no KERS"
Pit: "No, not KERS. Kerbs, as in "sides of the circuit"

:lol:

#14 The Shadow

The Shadow

Established Driver

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:26 AM

Red Bull looks like its shredding its tyres from onboard cameras.

Drivers reporting left front tyre wear issues
Refer above for quotes

#15 BradSpeedMan

BradSpeedMan

F1 Ace

• Senior Members
  • 7,659 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:34 AM

Very similiar to Melbourne, Lotus looking good..
Posted Image

Chris Cameron-Dow

"
Multi21 on JA blog

#16 The Shadow

The Shadow

Established Driver

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:47 AM

Looking at the weather over Sepang from my window, looks like a lot of clouds, but not rainy grey ones. So i guess it will run as a dry session.

Looking good at FP1: Lotus, RBR, Mercedes, Ferrari & Force India

Let's see how FP2 looks, starting at the hourAttached File  2013-03-22_13-50-27_204.jpg   76.08K   1 downloads

Edited by The Shadow, 22 March 2013 - 05:53 AM.

Refer above for quotes

#17 The Shadow

The Shadow

Established Driver

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:04 AM

And I am wrong!!

Light rain on some areas on track
Refer above for quotes

#18 BradSpeedMan

BradSpeedMan

F1 Ace

• Senior Members
  • 7,659 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:21 AM

View PostThe Shadow, on 22 March 2013 - 05:47 AM, said:

Looking at the weather over Sepang from my window, looks like a lot of clouds, but not rainy grey ones. So i guess it will run as a dry session.

Looking good at FP1: Lotus, RBR, Mercedes, Ferrari & Force India

Let's see how FP2 looks, starting at the hourAttachment 2013-03-22_13-50-27_204.jpg
U there?? WOW, business or F1 pleasure?
Posted Image

Chris Cameron-Dow

"
Multi21 on JA blog

#19 The Shadow

The Shadow

Established Driver

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:24 AM

I live in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Refer above for quotes

#20 BradSpeedMan

BradSpeedMan

F1 Ace

• Senior Members
  • 7,659 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:28 AM

View PostThe Shadow, on 22 March 2013 - 06:24 AM, said:

I live in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
thought you were American...

Clouds really looking threatening now!
Posted Image

Chris Cameron-Dow

"
Multi21 on JA blog

#21 BradSpeedMan

BradSpeedMan

F1 Ace

• Senior Members
  • 7,659 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:38 AM

Yeah baby yeah!!

36 min: It's a 1m36.569s as Raikkonen tops the times for Lotus on medium compound.
Posted Image

Chris Cameron-Dow

"
Multi21 on JA blog

#22 The Shadow

The Shadow

Established Driver

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:41 AM

At least half the track is being rained on now. Drizzle in pitlane
Refer above for quotes

#23 The Shadow

The Shadow

Established Driver

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:53 AM

Track conditions are proving conclusively that I am absolute rubbish at predicting the weather, among other things....
Refer above for quotes

#24 BradSpeedMan

BradSpeedMan

F1 Ace

• Senior Members
  • 7,659 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:59 AM

View PostThe Shadow, on 22 March 2013 - 06:53 AM, said:

Track conditions are proving conclusively that I am absolute rubbish at predicting the weather, among other things....
Quite suprised at this light rain, it usually pours when it does
Posted Image

Chris Cameron-Dow

"
Multi21 on JA blog

#25 The Shadow

The Shadow

Established Driver

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:14 AM

View PostBradSpeedMan, on 22 March 2013 - 06:59 AM, said:

Quite suprised at this light rain, it usually pours when it does

agreed. But it looks like the clouds are saving up for a full assault on rush hour traffic later at KL
Refer above for quotes

#26 BradSpeedMan

BradSpeedMan

F1 Ace

• Senior Members
  • 7,659 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:42 AM

View PostThe Shadow, on 22 March 2013 - 07:14 AM, said:

agreed. But it looks like the clouds are saving up for a full assault on rush hour traffic later at KL
lol
Posted Image

Chris Cameron-Dow

"
Multi21 on JA blog

#27 LabradoRacer

LabradoRacer

F1 Ace

• Senior Members
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

Nice to see Kimi up there. With RBR's continued tyre-munching issues, Kimi is a safe bet if he starts from the front row.

#28 freaky2

freaky2

Elemental de Rayo

• Senior Members
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:14 AM

If it's a wet race it won't matter much whether the Red Bull is hard on the tyres, it will only get interesting if it's in mixed conditions like FP2. And I always say that Button wins in mixed conditions :D (Well, the mantra probably won't work this year).
Posted Image

#29 JHS18

JHS18

F1 Ace

• Senior Members
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

View PostThe Shadow, on 22 March 2013 - 01:57 AM, said:

It could potentially be worse if the start were pushed forward. It almost never rains in the morning over here in KL. If we were to start the race at 2pm instead of 4pm, we will probably start hot and dry, but as 3pm comes along (the average time rain starts here over the past 4 weeks) we would effectively have a red flag situation because in the first 15-20 minutes of rain, visibility will drop to about 30meters at best, and that is one major hazard to drivers and marshals that will even trouble the safety car, never mind the racing cars.

My guess is that by starting at 4pm, they hope to get the initial downpour out of the way and run a wet/inter/medium race to the flag. Of course I cannot be certain, all i can say is the teams better keep looking at the clouds northwest (the usual direction of wind in the afternoon)

In essence what I would say is that if you wanted to see the indications of who's who this season, look at the times in practice and qualifying. The race will probably be a lottery so it wouldn't really have too much bearing on which teams are going to be strong all season. But do look forward to good racecraft, strategy and timely calls for tyre changes.

But since they moved the start time later in 2009, two races have been red flagged, with one being called before they even completed the full race distance. It is completely pointless. It was never really an issue before then, aside from 2001, and if my memory doesn't fail me, that wasn't even red flagged either.

Oh well, that's the last I'll say on the matter, I won't spoil anyone else's fun. Just a bit bored of F1 at the minute, particularly with the ridiculous weather situation....but I'll have to watch this race this weekend because I'm writing a report on it for a website I work for, so... Posted Image

Edited by JHS18, 22 March 2013 - 11:34 AM.

Posted Image

#30 Massa

Massa

Terry Labonte Retired

• Pit Crew
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

I'm not sure if Jules Bianchi just looks better because his the other three Caterussia drivers are weak or if he's a real talent, but his practice times are matching his impressive Melbourne run.  He wasn't too far out of Toro Rosso range, either.  I know he has vague Ferrari ties, but I'm sure that won't be the only team to notice him if he can keep this up.  A reasonable target could eventually (one full weekend and a pair of free practices is just not enough to be giving the guy a promotion) be a Sauber placement, with help from Ferrari, should Nico Hülkenberg graduate to one of the top teams, as some people believe he could.

I'm happy to see Lotus and Räikkönen still doing well because I like to see competition from every possible direction.  I wonder why a lot of people seem to ignore Räikkönen when discussing the best drivers in the world (or at least in F1, if you prefer).  I think he's on par with Vettel, Alonso, and Hamilton.  I hope he and Lotus can stay amongst them this year to keep the championship as well-contested as possible.  It's fantastic to see a Red Bull built for speed going up against a Lotus built for tire conservation (which seems to be a bit of a knock on the car's speed, though it's actually as fast as any, it seems) with a Ferrari and maybe even a Mercedes close by, all four of which are driven by World Champions.  These different strengths and weaknesses just make F1 so compelling.

Race weekends are definitely the best kind.  This is going to be a good one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is unofficial and is not associated in any way with the Formula One group of companies. F1, FORMULA ONE, FORMULA 1, FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP, GRAND PRIX and related marks are trade marks of Formula One Licensing B.V.