Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Massa

F1 In America

We need to nominate an international colour of jibery/sarcasm/tongue in cheekness.

That way, comments of a potentially damaging nature actually written for laughs can be differentiated so people don't take offence so much.

I vote orange.

That way I cam call Andres a baldy crackpot without him thinking I actually mean he's a baldy crackpot.

We need to nominate an international colour of jibery/sarcasm/tongue in cheekness.

That way, comments of a potentially damaging nature actually written for laughs can be differentiated so people don't take offence so much.

I vote orange.

That way I cam call Andres a baldy crackpot without him thinking I actually mean he's a baldy crackpot.

Sounds reasonable

Actually, expressing sarcasm in orange is racist.

Yep

If you check your facts, you will find that Orange is owned by a French company. Therefore your sarcasm is aimed squarely at our garlic munching froggy friends. Which is racist.

Shame on you, Twatface

I vote that we use white text for sarcasm.

That way

Adam thinks that a monkey smells like bananas, unlike a baboon

:)

I guess the only way a US F1 GP will work is to build the greatest circuit on earth, get Springsteen, Kid Rock and Ice-T to play Saturday night and have the final of American Idol live from the track after the race, all included in the ticket price with a free Texas BBQ. You must find a new US driving hero or get Facebook or Apple to buy Torro Rosso. Anything short of that will end in tears methinks.

Facebook F1...will that mean it will be free to drive?

As long as you have curly hair and you **** your partners over...

I guess the only way a US F1 GP will work is to build the greatest circuit on earth, get Springsteen, Kid Rock and Ice-T to play Saturday night and have the final of American Idol live from the track after the race, all included in the ticket price with a free Texas BBQ. You must find a new US driving hero or get Facebook or Apple to buy Torro Rosso. Anything short of that will end in tears methinks.

Actually, Indianapolis worked. Attendance records for the modern era.

It just didn't work at a price of more than $15,000,000/year in sanctioning fees. Bernie wanted $30,000,000. Maybe $25,000,000 if he was being generous.

And as it happened, Tony George was a private sector guy, not a government, so he just told them to **** off.

And they did. And we were all satisfied.

Point being: the USGP disappeared not because it was a failure, but because it wasn't government-funding, so there actually had to be some common sense involved in running it.

Actually, Indianapolis worked. Attendance records for the modern era.

It just didn't work at a price of more than $15,000,000/year in sanctioning fees. Bernie wanted $30,000,000. Maybe $25,000,000 if he was being generous.

And as it happened, Tony George was a private sector guy, not a government, so he just told them to **** off.

And they did. And we were all satisfied.

Point being: the USGP disappeared not because it was a failure, but because it wasn't government-funding, so there actually had to be some common sense involved in running it.

I take your point but as I said in the 'Indian GP' thread, Bernie's mission is to increase profits for FOM year-on year by screwing novice operations out of unsustainable and unrealistic fees. Wily Mr George had his measure and power to him. However, I would say that drawing punters to the Brickyard is way more tenable than enticing them into a 100-in-the-shade dustbowl in Texas.

Austin in 2012...New Jersey in 2013...Columbus in 2014.

tGQOQ.png

Columbus Grand Prix on track for 2014

Columbus, OH hopes to add a Formula One Grand Prix to its already impressive list of sporting events in 2014, targeting a June date that would pair it with the Canadian Grand Prix in Montréal.

"This is an exciting opportunity for our global city to be part of a very global sport," said Terry Benson, a key player in the race's proposal as CEO of "F1 Columbus."

F1 has been absent from the United States since 2007, but will return in 2012 at a new circuit Austin, TX. Benson believes this will help the Columbus race.

"There's no reason we can't support two races in a country this big, and we think the enthusiasm for F1 that will come from the Austin race will make it impossible to not run another."

While most circuits are designed by Hermann Tilke, Benson and his team at F1 Columbus have planned their own layout.

"We are definitely listening to the F1 fans out there. We wanted something that no one would ever think to do outside of us, a real unique circuit. I think you'll see the drivers really hailing these right-angle corners as the new 'Eau Rouge,' a real challenge."

The street circuit is in what Benson describes as the "financial district" of Columbus, and runs through a number of fast food restaurants' parking lots.

"We have talked to these establishments and they are 100% behind the idea. We are going to offer premium permanent seating inside those restaurants. You'll never get closer to an F1 car, and you'll never get better concessions at a racing track than something as professional as a Wendy's or TIm Horton's."

The track runs parallel to Route 70, where fans will be encouraged to stand on the shoulder to watch the race.

"You'll be really close to the action on the track, and on the highway. We know our fans like to be real close to the cars."

Other seating options will include residential areas.

"If you're an F1 fan in Columbus, you won't even need to pay to see this one! And if you don't like the noise, sell your front lawn out to the thousands of world-wide fans coming to see this once-in-a-lifetime event! It will really be a grassroots, economy-building, job-creating spectacle."

The highlight of the track, in Benson's view, is a hairpin on West Park Avenue.

"You're going to see these drivers turn those wheels, that's for sure."

Though Bernie Ecclestone was unavailable for comment, Benson assured the race had his approval.

"He loves our city, and we can't wait to welcome any and all of the 700,000,000 Formula One fans to Columbus."

NO ONE LISTENS TO ME.

THE NEW JERSEY RACE IS BEING CONFIRMED ON OCTOBER 25 AT 2 PM ET ON SPEEDTV.

WEEHAWKEN AND WEST NEW YORK.

TRACK LAYOUT CONTAINS SITE OF BURR-HAMILTON PISTOL DUEL.

I WAS RIGHT.