Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

Mclaren Make An Offer To Alonso

I think alonso's mentality is like "Caesar" said, it can't be much worse than his car this year. So I think it's a gamble he is very willing to take. Why wouldn't he? He has prooven his worth once again by dominating kimi all season and many said it would be the other way round. Those who said that are still continuously making excuses for kimi and even when he feels comfortable with the car like he did in brazil, he is still miles of alonso's pace. So this year more than any has shown just how good fernando really is and still is, who knows, this Honda engine could be a weapon. Honda must have something up there sleeve because everyone wants a piece of them don't they? I mean lets face it, if Mclaren hadn't ditched the merc engines to reunited with Honda, alonso wouldn't even have looked at them. Am I right? So that alone tickles my fancy.

One thing I have learned about F1 is that most rumours tend to be true. I also feel that the senior management at Woking are split between the Button and K-Mag camps quite evenly and Jens latest statement that money is not an issue for him may just swing it his way. Kev has pace but a lot of these young guys could have used a season or two more in 'development' mode, I feel. I think the reserve driver role will keep him in the loop and maybe a drive in the WEC with Strakka or another Honda entry to keep him sharp. One of the veterans will be on the move by 2016/7 and he will be a better driver for the experience perhaps. Either that or some buy-drive deal with Manor F1 and a tech package to keep them in?

That is very true "insider" they seem to make a statement months in advance and your like "bah as if" only to find out months later,that's what exactly happens. I also said that, have alonso partner Jenson and send Magnussen back to test driver role and use him as a threat if either alonso or button fail to impress.

Most rumours tend to be true?

Over the last month Alonso has been staying at Ferrari, moving to Lotus, moving to McLaren, buying a cycling team, buying Marussia, taking a sabbatical and starting a new team.

If most of that is true, he will be a very busy boy in 2015.

If it does end up being Alonso & Jenson then I'd love to ask Eric what he was on about when he kept repeating that they were looking to have a long-term solution with a mixture of experience and 'eagerness' (his words).

Which makes me still have low hopes of JB staying on

Do you think he would put in another season of he knows that it will be an absolute mission to best Alonso. Has he got the puff still? He only wants to drive if he has a winnin car. I honestly think if he leaves, he will partner webber in the WEC. Alonso wants Button to stay on as the development of the car would be much faster.

Do you think he would put in another season of he knows that it will be an absolute mission to best Alonso. Has he got the puff still?

I don't think that's in question at all, and I don't think for a second Button would fear Alonso.

But it does seem apparent that he's not pleased with how this situation has unfolded and may tell mclaren to go stuff it either way.

One thing's clear, Mclaren are going to receive backlash (in UK particularly) for this. I follow mclaren on facebook and they are already receiving torrents of anger from fellow fans over how JB has been treated

I don't think button is scared at all, I just wondered if he had the puff to go all out once again. It's pretty bad how Mclaren has handled the whole situation, especially how they have treated Button. If I were Jenson, he needs to sort it out quick smart, because if he does it like Mclaren want and holds of, it's just harder to find a seat elsewhere. Who knows, he most likely has something settled by know, even if its not in f1.

I don't think button is scared at all, I just wondered if he had the puff to go all out once again. It's pretty bad how Mclaren has handled the whole situation, especially how they have treated Button. If I were Jenson, he needs to sort it out quick smart, because if he does it like Mclaren want and holds of, it's just harder to find a seat elsewhere. Who knows, he most likely has something settled by know, even if its not in f1.

I think the only drives he'd consider would be Merc Ferrari & RBR anyway, and those seats are long gone.

Guess I'll have to get rid of my mclaren team t-shirt :-(

I have one last comment on all of this. In 2007, LH and FA scored 4 wins each and 109 points apiece in the same car. During his time with JB, LH lost out. Jens outscored him overall. Just give him a Honda and see him go.

I have one last comment on all of this. In 2007, LH and FA scored 4 wins each and 109 points apiece in the same car. During his time with JB, LH lost out. Jens outscored him overall. Just give him a Honda and see him go.

But we had quite a few gps in that time that helped swing that in buttons favor, like wet and just those messed up gps. Alonso and lewis were together only one season and it

So happens to be Lewis's best season to date, with the exception of this year.

Jens is now seemingly forced into retiring and Alonso may as well be. I wish all the old grumpy farts would just go already. F1 with the likes of Vettle, Nico and Hammy is doing just fine. I'm actually more interested to see how Jos's kid does next year rather than watch another dinosaur trying to resist the inevitable extinction. Why is it that every ageing unwanted F1 driver seems to think that sportscar is a great formula? You've had your time guys.....move along now. Somehow Mclaren and Alonso are trying to sell this as great deal. A crap car and a driver that would rather be elsewhere. Yeah...great deal!

But we had quite a few gps in that time that helped swing that in buttons favor, like wet and just those messed up gps. Alonso and lewis were together only one season and it

It's over a 3-yr period so I dont think you can look at abnormal races, as we're talking about 58-ish races. And in those wet races JB got the job done and Lewis didn't (for the most part).

In 2010 and 2012 it was very close, and in 2011 we all know about Lewis's bad year, and JB beat him by quite a margin, meaning that overall he edged it over the 3 years. I'd so love to see Alonso v Lewis again, but cant see it happening.

watch another dinosaur trying to resist the inevitable extinction.

Did you not see JB's drive in Brazil?

Jenson become a new driver after 2009, since then he has been a real force to be reckoned with. His drive in brazil was awesome. Overshadowed by the merc boys but still brilliant.

I hope it is Button, because he is a good guy, simple as that.

I want to see Alonso's face when Button beats him, too. It will not be a frequent event, but it will be awesome when it does.

For me it's not only cos he's a good guy but because he deserves it. He's still performing, he's wiped the floor with Perez and Magnussen, and is a million times more marketable than Kevin.

A Button/Alonso pairing would generate huge media interest which is what they're after.

Jens is now seemingly forced into retiring and Alonso may as well be. I wish all the old grumpy farts would just go already. F1 with the likes of Vettle, Nico and Hammy is doing just fine. I'm actually more interested to see how Jos's kid does next year rather than watch another dinosaur trying to resist the inevitable extinction. Why is it that every ageing unwanted F1 driver seems to think that sportscar is a great formula? You've had your time guys.....move along now. Somehow Mclaren and Alonso are trying to sell this as great deal. A crap car and a driver that would rather be elsewhere. Yeah...great deal!

Yawn....

Alonso is irrelevant. With a car shy of the best one, he will win. With a car like today's Mercedes or yesterday's RBR, he will destroy everyone.

There is no competition there... thanks to years and years of mismanagement. It's no wonder Alonso commands the field. He is not a great driver (yet, if ever) except when compared to the rest of the field which, as Vettel has amply demonstrated, is generally of comparatively abysmal quality. We can only hope the next generation (Ricciardo etc) are not equally mishandled.

The interest next season, imo, is in Vettel versus Kimi. Hopefully, there will be something there to watch. Hopefully. Because Mattiacci's rookie mistakes are becoming endless.

In one week we will know all! Just imagine all the interviews with Ferrari, Mclaren, Honda, Alonso, Vettel, Kimi ,Alonso ,Button, that will be made in next weekend!

Who will care about WDC! ?

Well webber sent a twitter message to button telling him to just sign the sportscar contract and be done with it. So it definatly sounds like button has a few options available

I could not really work that out, he said it would be great to have you with/against us. I am thinking he is saying there are options for you, with Porsche or one of the other manufacturers.

Sounds like Webber is loving his life after F1, though.

Yeah, I think he hates the travel and with sportscars, he is still driving something mega quick and still at a very high level. But his results are still the same. Likes hanging around p5 alot lol. The question is would button be any good in sportscars? Least webber has had past experience and knows what to expect. Me personally, I would love to see button in v8s, he did say he wouldn't mind giving them a crack. Imagine what that would do for v8s, mega marketing for the sport. Even better, him and webber team up for Bathurst next year.