Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BrisbaneAndy

Button And Mclaren

Reading recent media, I think Button is ready to tell McLaren to jam any offer they may make.

He has made a few comments about not necessarily accepting an offer and his general demeanour suggests he has had enough of being strung along. His comments about other challenges suggest he has had enough.

He seems quite vocal about the car this weekend, more so than is his usual style in my opinion.

With Alonso having to think about $44M per season for two seasons and McLaren having set a deadline, allegedly, I am beginning to wonder if this career game of chess will end with two former WDC's out in 2015 and McLaren wondering who to put in the second car alongside Magnussen.

I am very fond of McLaren, but I do not feel that Button has been treated with respect in this.

If Button does walk and Alonso hangs in there for a W05 seta in 2016, McLaren will be putting an unproven driver in the car, surely. What will Honda have to say about that, I wonder.

I think alonso has prooven in the past he can be quick right of the bat. We've seen it every year, no matter the car. I think alonso has proven in the past that he is the driver everyone wants to beat. They all know fernando is the best, they say so themselves. As for Mclaren, there stupid not to hang into Button, why not partner him with fernando, then Honda gets what it wants in not only one top notch driver, but two. IMO that's how I would do it and send Magnussen back to the test driver role and use him as a threat if either alonso or button didnt perform. Magnussen has had a solid year as a rookie but IMO has been over shadowed by Kvyat in a slightly worser car and quite comprehensivly to.

I think alonso has prooven in the past he can be quick right of the bat. We've seen it every year, no matter the car. I think alonso has proven in the past that he is the driver everyone wants to beat. They all know fernando is the best, they say so themselves. As for Mclaren, there stupid not to hang into Button, why not partner him with fernando, then Honda gets what it wants in not only one top notch driver, but two. IMO that's how I would do it and send Magnussen back to the test driver role and use him as a threat if either alonso or button didnt perform. Magnussen has had a solid year as a rookie but IMO has been over shadowed by Kvyat in a slightly worser car and quite comprehensivly to.

At $44m a season for Alonso they probably can't afford JB's $20m package too. K-Mag has talent and the reserve role would be ideal while they get the car ready but Button must feel seriously unloved after all this nonsense. Building for the future, my arse. There's a talented driver around every corner. No planning necessary - Nando and Jenson are a dream team for anyone.

Sean I think you have hit the nail on the head. They are so fixated on getting Alonso *at any price* that there is no money left for Button.

Shocking way to treat him esp. as he is their main points earner in that bucket of sh*t car. Esp. the implication that if the Alonso deal does not come off, he is the "oh I suppose you'll do" driver.

Button is absolutely right to stick two fingers up at them and go do something else.

I can imagine a situation where Alonso falls into the Ron Dennis trap whereby Alonso says OK, I will sign for two years and Ron says, sorry, muchacho, too late. Then Button, the ever reliable, dedicated, team player says sorry, Ron, I will be doing Triatholons next year.

I can imagine a situation where Alonso falls into the Ron Dennis trap whereby Alonso says OK, I will sign for two years and Ron says, sorry, muchacho, too late. Then Button, the ever reliable, dedicated, team player says sorry, Ron, I will be doing Triatholons next year.

Yeah, see this Alonso contract has too many moving parts. 1. FA wants to sign with Honda direct because the board want rid of Ron. 2. Boullier counters by stating they are talking directly to FA. 3. Honda state driver agreements are between team and driver - period. 4. Ferrari aren't flinching and FA could be out of work if he doesn't cough up 50m euros. 5. Very important. Jenson is deep into the development of the 2015 car. Dangerous knowledge for a competitor.

I honestly think if alonso went to Mclaren and teamed up with Button, I think Alonso would beat him tbh. And right away to. Jenson will still deliver good results but I don't think he is as consistant as Alonso and that's the truth IMO. Iam a fan of both drivers but I think honestly, Alonso would beat him in the same car, just like he is to

Raikkonen.

Let's be honest. This circus is the only way Mclaren can generate headlines, and they need the sponsorship. As soon as everyone realises that its still a crap team/car just with a different engin, their stock will fall. As for Alonso, he has no other options on the table.

Jenson, go enjoy life away from Ron "the dementor" Dennis and F1, You've nothing to prove. Unless you fancy going back to Williams to replace that useless Massa for a year or 2.

Well I think Mclaren trying to get alonso is also to nail that Santander sponsorship. As for Jenson. Yeah Williams would be good but I think he is on his way to WEC.

I'll kinda miss Jens. He's always been a gent. Something that his successor has never quite achieved. All the kids coming through just seem sooooooo boring. Sport without personalities makes as much sense as a condom for a eunuch.

Yeah I've always liked Jenson, comes accross as a real nice bloke. Always has time for an interview and he is always the same every time. Very positive personality. It will be a shame if he leaves, but I also wouldn't like to see him running further down the order. He's much to good a driver for that.

I would not put much store by what Boullier says anyway. He will probably be ousted shortly along with Dennis from the F1 operation. If you talked to every TP in the paddock, they would hire Button in a heartbeat if they had a seat. However, with ForceIndia posting a £40m loss, we may see three car teams next year. It's all very well Bernie saying the smaller teams should only spend what they earn but you end up with four Minardis at the back of the field. Every team want to be competitive and the division of spoils is grossly unfair but if you haven't got £250m a year to spend perhaps you shouldn't bother under the current regime. Anyway, something will give somewhere along the line but I doubt Jenson will trust McLaren ever again.

I see Boullier as something of a yes man and definitely expendable, but Ron Dennis? I am willing to bet leftie that he will be in control at McLaren for the foreseeable future.

It's not the same Ron Dennis that once helped Mclaren to all those championships and I don't know if his approach will work this day and age.

I believe Alonso is demanding that his teammate isn't Button!

He would beat him, but why to spend his efforts on good team mate if next year Mclaren is WDC and WCC potential winner!

It is much easier if you are no.1 driver! Rosberg or Hamilton would just walk through this season if they could have no. 1 status!

No way button would beat alonso.and that's coming from a big fan of both drivers.

It's not that. It's been prooven in the past that if you want a smooth running team to fight for wins and titles, you need a clear number one and two.

It's not that. It's been prooven in the past that if you want a smooth running team to fight for wins and titles, you need a clear number one and two.

Absolutely!

No way button would beat alonso.and that's coming from a big fan of both drivers.

I disagree entirely. There would not be a lot in it at all and there will be occasions when Button would beat him. However, Nando is disruptive in the extreme and would kick up when that happened. JB was a match for Lewis and thereby hangs a tail.

I cannot imagine Alonso wanting a competitive team-mate and I cannot imagine Button agreeing to bend over for him, so I cannot see that relationship working at all.

Ron's mantra re drivers, ever since I've known of him, is having the best available drivers. Alonso & Button are both available.

Dream team. No brainer surely. They're both expensive but when did that ever stop mclaren before? And they have Honda cash no doubt. They were happy to employ Lewis & JB for 3 years who were both very expensive.

Interestingly post-race yesterday BBC interviewed JB and he was very jovial. Suzi Perry pointed this out to him. His reply was "I'm a lot more relaxed at this race than I was in the last few races" and gave a wry grin, which actually gave me hope that he's implying he's got something signed...