Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blackpebel

Renault

I personally think his grumpy demeanor, just his general vibe, is too off putting. Word has it that he is too harsh on his team, with a point-the-gun-and-shoot approach.

Why is Renault not bothered about HIS performance. I think Renault, the whole team, deserve a better leader, then just a strict BOSS.

What do you think?

Thread heading changed with less provocative statement.

Sakae 

Starting a thread to smear a man we know de facto very little about other than he is French? The post is setting an adversarial tone and emitting hostility straight from the start. I am lost where are you going with this, other than - lets hate French.

Cyril had so much to overcome in his representation, and it all seems lost on you. Start with Lotus, totally desolated and run down team and place by previous owner's gross mismanagement, filled with bloated egos. He started at the level as a new entrant would be. That's how I see it.

Continue with instability affecting him directly due to corporate changes (Renault/Nissan), and add pandemic effect upon car market which is what - about 70%(?) in decline, near collapse to be fair. I am not sure anyone else would have been performing better job. His biggest mistake was hiring DR, but no one is supremely perfect, and it's time to move on. Factory should be moved to Germany, I would suggest. Complains, if any, will cease. 

43 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Starting a thread to smear a man we know de facto very little about other than he is French?

Me neither. I guess that's probably why I've started this thread, to see if anyone else knows more about him.

52 minutes ago, Sakae said:

The post is setting an adversarial tone and emitting hostility straight from the start.

Ok, I read my post, and Yes I guess I'm guilty.

52 minutes ago, Sakae said:

I am lost where are you going with this, other than - lets hate French.

I guess I would like to see Renault in the Mix. But Renault's struggles are surprising, and i'm thinking it is something to do with how the team is being handled from the top... Maybe i'm wrong about Abiteboul (and please help me if i am), But I just think that there are others available out there who can do justice to that position and make positive changes to that team and lead the team to the front.

On 5/19/2020 at 8:24 PM, Sakae said:

Date 2020.05.19   Time 18:24 (UTC)

Starting a thread to smear a man we know de facto very little about other than he is French? The post is setting an adversarial tone and emitting hostility straight from the start. I am lost where are you going with this, other than - lets hate French.

Cyril had so much to overcome in his representation, and it all seems lost on you. Start with Lotus, totally desolated and run down team and place by previous owner's gross mismanagement, filled with bloated egos. He started at the level as a new entrant would be. That's how I see it.

Continue with instability affecting him directly due to corporate changes (Renault/Nissan), and add pandemic effect upon car market which is what - about 70%(?) in decline, near collapse to be fair. I am not sure anyone else would have been performing better job. His biggest mistake was hiring DR, but no one is supremely perfect, and it's time to move on. Factory should be moved to Germany, I would suggest. Complains, if any, will cease. 

Date 2020.05.22   Time 15:41 (UTC)

Renault Corp. is really in bad shape and may cease operating as a business entity. This is not a joke. I am not sure the team will be able to continue at all, but, until they says otherwise, they are here, and they are hot to go racing.

Actually, I have been having my doubts about Abiteboul for a while, but don't know enough to have a strongly informed opinion.

Sometimes men are caught in impossible situation, yet they are face of a business entity, carrying brunt of it all, deserved or not. There is very little to doubt Cyril had a lot of pressure to compete as a (presumably) top team with hands in handcuffs on financial budget Abiteboul got from mother ship, and unmitigated disaster what was left from Lotus. From what I recall, it was badly managed warehouse, and nothing more. There could be a lot of small factors which in aggregate are nothing less than undesirable noise on common cause.

On 5/24/2020 at 8:46 AM, Sakae said:

Date 2020.05.24   Time 6:46 (UTC)

Sometimes men are caught in impossible situation, yet they are face of a business entity, carrying brunt of it all, deserved or not. There is very little to doubt Cyril had a lot of pressure to compete as a (presumably) top team with hands in handcuffs on financial budget Abiteboul got from mother ship, and unmitigated disaster what was left from Lotus. From what I recall, it was badly managed warehouse, and nothing more. There could be a lot of small factors which in aggregate are nothing less than undesirable noise on common cause.

Date 2020.05.26   Time 6:32 (UTC)

I think my initial suspicion of internal problems of a French business unit in UK was probably pretty much on the ball.

“We had a lot of changes last year: 70% of our staff have seen a change of management or structure to their department. A new technical director, new head of aero, new engineering director.

Cyril explains...

A team needs stability. That's the truth for them all, yet that can happen only after they sniff each other, and settled in. That doesn't happen immediately. First you need to prove competence in practice, not just on your CV, and so it goes. A year, two, more...

I actually feel for him. The guy is in terrible position, yet he hardly gets any respect for dragging the team forward.

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

I actually feel for him. The guy is in terrible position, yet he hardly gets any respect for dragging the team forward.

From the latest noises he sounds quite optimistic... Hope things work out for him and the team

8 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

From the latest noises he sounds quite optimistic... Hope things work out for him and the team

...assuming they stay in business. It looks really bad. Government put already some money into Renault, and in post-pandemic world I am not sure about voices claiming that F1 is waste for taxpayers funds. Its not over until its over, as the cliche stands.

The Italian newspaper La Gazetta dello Sport writes that the Russian billionaire Dmitry Mazepin would be interested in taking over the team from the car manufacturer. Mazepin has acquainted himself with the financial situation and he could act as an investor for the team. That in a similar way as Lawrence Stroll did at Racing Point.

Any comment?

As someone from Industrial economy, my own believe - right or wrong - is that F1 belongs to the Industrial sector, and therefore this is kind of bad news for me, if it comes to fruition. What did Wolf invest, and I am not picking on him? 40 MM? He, as others, will most likely expect to get his money back, and more. But where are the sources of high income if no one will watch, or will they? Watch what? Turning clock back 40 years? I have old tapes and I was attempting to entice youngsters watch some famous people. I will spare you comments and feedback I've received. It didn't work.

I thought performance should be handsomely awarded, but with all that rhetoric, I am not sure anymore that's the case. 

Date 2020.05.29   Time 7:39 (UTC)

Planet f1:

Renault F1 team should know its fate this ‘Friday"

I am confused over this. Internet (if not the same source) declared Renault had already signed up for next commercial term some times ago. Recent dip in business might be the however factor behind this latest review. I would like them to stay. French are the good guys in my book.

Date 2020.05.29   Time 10:24 (UTC)

Reuters:

Renault intends to keep its team in Formula 1, interim CEO Clotilde Delbos confirmed on Friday, despite plans to cut costs by €2 billion over the next three years.

“We confirm that we intend to stay in Formula 1,” she told a conference call.

Good to hear that.

Date 2020.06.03   Time 13:35 (UTC)

Wednesday 3 June at 09:35 : Jun.3 (GMM) Frans Verschuur, who runs a GT4 team, thinks Renault should oust its team boss Cyril Abiteboul.

"In my opinion there are three of them in Formula 1 that have to go," the Dutchman told the F1 aan Tafel podcast.

"Abiteboul, Claire Williams and Mattia Binotto," he said.

Oh well...

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

Oh well...

Well, I agree with the last 2. Move Binotto bck to Technical please. The guy dont cut it

Ppl are really noticing, its not just us here

1 minute ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Well, I agree with the last 2. Move Binotto bck to Technical please. The guy dont cut it

Considering what happened with Seb, I don't want to comment on his capabilities as a manager. My conflict of interest and bias is too obvious, however I will admit, that I rather detect American hand how Ferrari is managed these days. To run Ferrari you need to be real Italian who lives in Italy, not in New York. The team was always run from the heart, not on basis of a stock exchange spreadsheet. An aristocrat like LdM should be running the team. He breaths, bleeds, and is a true Ferrari man.

28 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Considering what happened with Seb, I don't want to comment on his capabilities as a manager. My conflict of interest and bias is too obvious, however I will admit, that I rather detect American hand how Ferrari is managed these days. To run Ferrari you need to be real Italian who lives in Italy, not in New York. The team was always run from the heart, not on basis of a stock exchange spreadsheet. An aristocrat like LdM should be running the team. He breaths, bleeds, and is a true Ferrari man.

He too had his flaws... couple that with an aristrocat demeanor

1 minute ago, BradSpeedMan said:

He too had his flaws... couple that with an aristrocat demeanor

:)

Yeh, well. If you look deep enough, we all can be shown with some flaws. Don't forget it was LdM who pulled Ferrari from deep Abyss and possibly extinction. I blame him for having far too of a soft spot for Alonso who was dragging a team with his whims.

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

Yeh, well. If you look deep enough, we all can be shown with some flaws. Don't forget it was LdM who pulled Ferrari from deep Abyss and possibly extinction. I blame him for having far too of a soft spot for Alonso who was dragging a team with his whims.

True dat

7 hours ago, Sakae said:

Oh well...

Well then, in hindsight, the original name to the topic was not too bad eh?? 😉

The performance of the Renault factory team can be better given the resources and the experienced technical staff they have at disposal. It doesn't seem to be working well as a unit. They need to reshuffle, starting from the top. 

Clair..... Phewww... She needs to be a little tough to carry off a job like this, if she wants to keep it that is.... Or probably move aside,, maybe get someone like gunther steiner onboard as the jockey... 

It wouldn't have been bad for Arrivabene to continue.. But Alas, that top seat in the team is too lucrative for someone if you have stayed with the team for 2 decades...

Someone like Flavio can really be instrumental in holding the reigns of the Italian horse.

Date 2020.06.04   Time 4:11 (UTC)

It is safe to assume that most of us hold some opinion on many subjects, regardless whether we have all facts in hand, or actually understand correctly all background information.  We are living in popular age "clean your desk and head for the door", as that presumably fixes all. Redundancy age, disposable societies. If you don't like something, toss it and get new stuff. I am however a fossil from the past when things had some value, and one tried to fix them, so don't be surprised that I disagree with firing people without first exploring all other pathways available.

My recollection is, that Binotto wanted to leave Ferrari, unless he gets promoted. Perhaps errors were committed then, but what is done is done, and now the same people who put him there have to ensure he can work properly as the TP. I am not sure what exactly he has done (allegedly) wrong to deserve firing, however I do suspect whether perhaps emotional aspects are blurring individual perspectives of outsiders on this subject. Many defamation and hateful articles were written about this team in recent times; maybe that's a bigger problem. The team is operating in a zone not many understand properly. Pandemic economics, contraction, rule book, there is plenty to digest before we fire Binotto. 

We should be speaking about Mr. Briatore only in past tense, and nothing more. 

Williams - no comment. I've never liked that team and everything within, thus I have nothing clever to say today about state they are in.

Renault - I've written my opinion on that subject earlier. Biggest problem for Renault is location. Start there, and move factory to Germany, Austria, or next to Alfa team in Switzerland...wherever. That's for the start. Money is needed, but it is not all what makes an organization successful. I am questioning level of commitment from others working on the inside, but then, I don't have proper understanding of all nuances where the problem is, or if there is one at all.

Hiring DR was a monumental mistake. Hiring Alonso - the same. I don't think Vettel is interested, but there are some other drivers available who might prove to be loyal to the name Renault and who might want to make something good off it.