Clicky

Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

narain fan

Official :heikki Kovalainen Renault Test Driver

Recommended Posts

Renault announces Heikki Kovalainen as third driver

Renault announced that Heikki Kovalainen will be the team's third driver in the upcoming Formula 1 season. Kovalainen, runner-up in the 2005 GP2 Series, will be the team's third and test driver for the 2006 season. The Finn has already tested successfully for the team during 2005, and this new role is a logical step in his career path towards Formula 1.

Heikki Kovalainen commented: "I am delighted to have been offered this opportunity by Renault. I have already done some testing for the team, but I still have a lot to learn. This role will allow me to understand more about the team and how Formula 1 works while developing my driving and technical skills at this level. It is a privilege to be invited to join a championship-winning team, and I am determined to help Renault retain its world titles."

Renault F1 Team Managing Director Flavio Briatore commented: "We are delighted to welcome Heikki to the team as our third driver for 2006. He has demonstrated that he is a talented, aggressive driver in the GP2 Series, and he has impressed our engineers during his tests with the team. The test driver's role will be crucial during 2006 as we develop our V8 engine through the season to defend the world championship. I am confident Heikki will make a valuable contribution to our success."

"Franck Montagny will continue testing for us until the end of 2005, and I want to pay tribute to his dedication and contribution during his time as test driver. His work with the test team played an important part in our championship victory, and we wish him well for the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:D Say goodbye Fizzi :eusa_think:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
:D Say goodbye Fizzi :eusa_think:

Indeed... Kovalainen - Alonso sounds great to me but the guy has still to show a lot, so let

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think it already has been burst, by Alonso. Fisichella's WDC ambitions, along with his pride I expect, were shattered last season. I don't think he will bounce back at all and one would guess Flav is of the same thinking...

I

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yes, he will kick his a## to the kerb like he has done to his many girlfriends and former clients and replace him with a young, potentially more capable driver in Heikki. Such is Flavio's way.

I'll never forgive flav for kicking Hedi to the kerb :mf_tongue: But then I'll never forgive Hedi for taking up with Seal :mf_tongue::mf_tongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='nojvnof1' post='88008' date='Dec 3 2005, 06:58 AM']yes, out of Renault! ;)

This is the same situation will most likely be as per BMW, with whoever they hire as their third driver. ie. Heikki will most likely replace Fisi in '07 and Driver X at BMW will most likely replace JV in '07.

Antonia, how good was Heikki in GP2? I know he was runner up but what are your thoughts on him considering you're a fan of the series. He's a talent from what I hear but you've seen him race so you're better to judge him than myself. Is he as good as Renault and the press make him out to be?[/quote]

I don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rate this guy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interview with Heikki Kovalainen

Q: Heikki, you tested for two days in Jerez. How did it go?

Heikki Kovalainen (HK): "The first day was really just about acclimatising to the car with the simulated V8 power, and making some set-up changes to get the handling right for me. On Thursday, I did a long tyre programme, the car worked well and the tyres seemed good. Michelin brought quite different products to Barcelona, and we found some interesting things. I think I had a good first session as an official driver with the F1 team."

Q: How did you find it to be driving with the V8 power levels?

HK: "We worked with the set-up to adjust the car, and found some good things that were better with this power level, in terms of how we prepare the car. The programme gave us a lot of good data for the new car, so that the team knows what to expect when the R26 runs for the first time."

Q: Finally, you have stepped from a GP2 car into a Formula 1 car. How big a jump is it?

HK: "It is still a big step up from GP2. Maybe we have less power than before in the F1 car, but don’t be mistaken: driving a Formula 1 car is never easy! To find the last tenths of a second it just as tough as it has always been. What’s more, with less power I think it makes it more difficult: you can’t make so many mistakes because it costs you even more time, and that makes the driver’s job even more challenging."

09-12-05

f1-galaxy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...