Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

Fifa Apologies To Australia

FIFA boss Sepp Blatter has apologised to Australia fans, saying the Socceroos should have played in the the World Cup quarter-final instead of eventual champion Italy.

Aussie fans were stunned on June 26 when a Spain referee awarded Italy a penalty against Lucas Neill in the dying moments of the round of 16 match.

Fans were disgusted at what appeared to be a dive by Italy's Fabio Grosso to win the penalty.

FIFA was accused of not addressing the problem of diving and faking injuries but in an interview with SBS, to be shown at 2pm today, Blatter said referees at this year's finals "were not at their best".

However, he said the antics of players was the real problem.

"I think there was too much cheating on the players' side," said said.

"I agree with them and I would like to apologise (to) our fans in Australia."

Neill welcomed Blatter's apology but said the situation is worsening.

"It's pleasing to see FIFA is at last acknowledging and paying more attention to the issue," he said.

Blatter heaped praised on the Socceroos.

"They were great," he said.

"The Socceroos should have gone into the quarter-finals because they were up to beating Italy."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,,20664329-23215,00.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now this is opening up old wounds. This is conformation that Australia was robbed and Italy are undeserving world champions.

FIFA boss Sepp Blatter has apologised to Australia fans, saying the Socceroos should have played in the the World Cup quarter-final instead of eventual champion Italy.

Aussie fans were stunned on June 26 when a Spain referee awarded Italy a penalty against Lucas Neill in the dying moments of the round of 16 match.

Fans were disgusted at what appeared to be a dive by Italy's Fabio Grosso to win the penalty.

FIFA was accused of not addressing the problem of diving and faking injuries but in an interview with SBS, to be shown at 2pm today, Blatter said referees at this year's finals "were not at their best".

However, he said the antics of players was the real problem.

"I think there was too much cheating on the players' side," said said.

"I agree with them and I would like to apologise (to) our fans in Australia."

Neill welcomed Blatter's apology but said the situation is worsening.

"It's pleasing to see FIFA is at last acknowledging and paying more attention to the issue," he said.

Blatter heaped praised on the Socceroos.

"They were great," he said.

"The Socceroos should have gone into the quarter-finals because they were up to beating Italy."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,,20664329-23215,00.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now this is opening up old wounds. This is conformation that Australia was robbed and Italy are undeserving world champions.

I agree 100% :thbup: My support for the southern hemisphere colleagues! :D

Just like fifa to suck up, after all what can be done now? Are the 'soccoroos'( :lol: ) going to go on now and say they could've been champs?? :lol::lol::lol:

If Italy could win, why the hell couldn't we? considering we should of gone through according to FIFA and all :unsure:

Just like fifa to suck up, after all what can be done now? Are the 'soccoroos'( :lol: ) going to go on now and say they could've been champs?? :lol::lol::lol:

Its the principle of the matter. Australia should have gotten through to the next round and the way we were playing i think we would have beaten the Ukraine and we would have then found ourselves in the semi finals which would have been a amazing achievement.

I did say at the time it was a terrible call. :(

If we could see it months ago... why couldn't they.

Well it was Neills fault, he put himself into position to be penalised and Grosso took advantage, fair play!

Well it was Neills fault, he put himself into position to be penalised and Grosso took advantage, fair play!

So if your drivng along in your car in the correct lane at the correct speed and a person comes from the opposite direction, they are speeding and they swerve into your lane and hit you head on. Is this accident your fault for being there or is the other persons fault for speeding and swerving into your lane?

No way. It's the officials fault for letting football get to this stage. :nono1:

So if your drivng along in your car in the correct lane at the correct speed and a person comes from the opposite direction, they are speeding and they swerve into your lane and hit you head on. Is this accident your fault for being there or is the other persons fault for speeding and swerving into your lane?

Sorry ykick that won't work. Soccor has deteriated to the point that a player by 'diving' can get a foul both sides know it and thus it is what it is. They were playing the game how it's played now.

Just like the player that got Zidane to head butt him, dodgy at best but perfectly played by the guy to get Zidane red-carded.

No way. It's the officials fault for letting football get to this stage. :nono1:

I agree, but they have let it get this way so you have to play it that way..........

Bruce, can you make a seperate forum for Ykick to post all his Australian crap in?

:rolleyes:

Bruce, can you make a seperate forum for Ykick to post all his Australian crap in?

:rolleyes:

I keep telling you thing but you obviously arnt smart enough to listen. If you dont like the threads i make dont post in them.

Thats football for you. England have been robbed several times! Euro 2004 will haunt me forever. I'm actually becoming physically irritated just thinking about it now.

Have to admit the quantity of diving and foul play in the world cup was just ridiculous. Southern Europeans and S.Americans are dirty b#####ds most of whom should be banned from the sport

**** me an american commenting on football, now i've seen everything!!!!!

I keep telling you thing but you obviously arnt smart enough to listen. If you dont like the threads i make dont post in them.

Rubbish, the best place to criticize your incessant self-praise is in one of the threads with that as its subject. We know Australia is the greatest country on Earth because you've told us so some forty times. Enough already!

We know Australia is the greatest country on Earth

:lol: No, only australians themselves would believe something like that. No-one outside Aus even knows who their leader is or can really name anything they've ever done for the world

Rubbish, the best place to criticize your incessant self-praise is in one of the threads with that as its subject. We know Australia is the greatest country on Earth because you've told us so some forty times. Enough already!

Most people who say that the country they are living in is the best. I believe Australia is the best as im sure you believe the country you live in is the best. Stop complaining about what i post as it is not hurting anyone is it.

:lol: No, only australians themselves would believe something like that. No-one outside Aus even knows who their leader is or can really name anything they've ever done for the world

I personally dont care if people in other countries cant remember our PM and i dont really care about what the rest of the world thinks about us.

Most people who say that the country they are living in is the best. I believe Australia is the best as im sure you believe the country you live in is the best. Stop complaining about what i post as it is not hurting anyone is it.

Most people think their country is the best but most people do not tell everyone about it and nobody but you tells everyone that 5 times a day! Your posts aren't hurting anyone, no, but they are annoying the hell out of a number of us... Just shut the hell up about Australia, okay?

[quote name='bajo39' post='150251' date='Oct 29 2006, 01:59 PM']Why do you have to be so annoying man? Just stop...[/quote]

Your the one that has been trying to hijacked my thread.

I don't remember very clearly but what about the controversial goal that actually got you into the pre quarter finals, maybe you sohuldn't have been there anyway? And to suggest that if the goal had not been given then Australia would have gone through is ridiculous. The rest of Australia is back watching Aussie sports like AFL NFL whatever and V8 Supercars, and the real football fans are more interested in the new European season. Stop whining. Blatter is an idiot with a rather big mouth.

Thats football for you. England have been robbed several times! Euro 2004 will haunt me forever. I'm actually becoming physically irritated just thinking about it now.

Have to admit the quantity of diving and foul play in the world cup was just ridiculous. Southern Europeans and S.Americans are dirty b#####ds most of whom should be banned from the sport

.....But it's the truth, it doesn't matter the sport. One player saw where to take advantage and he exploited it, fair play.....

Well, if Fifa actually made statement which said Australia should been there then they went too far really. If the penalty had not been given there is no guarantee that Australia would have won the match. What they should have said if they really thought it was wrongful penalty that it robbed Australia chance to win Italy. Fifa leadership feels like are still trying to make France (and especially Zidane) look better.

last worldcup (germany 2006) looked like a bunch of school kids playing with a coco cola tin on the streets and everynow and then forcing the refree to whistle, there was absloutely no continuity in any of the matches. france 98 by contrast was the time when the game was played by real men. :thbup:

I don't remember very clearly but what about the controversial goal that actually got you into the pre quarter finals, maybe you sohuldn't have been there anyway?

The Kewell offside Vs Croatia? I like to think its payback for the 2 penalties we should of had. (one which was a handball that was pretty clear to see!)