Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

Virginia Tech Campus Shootings

Adding to it Hurricane Katrina relief.

The US Government is too huge. It needs to be scraped down in size a lot.

I dont think Bush did a single thing right after that cyclone though on a purely scientific level it was interesting to see what happens to a modern society when all police officers disappear.

All leaders nowadays are idiots.

Can't disagree with that

Well........ OK..... speaking for yourself.......fine!

But don't say the rest of us have fake expressions of regret, or sincerity.

I personally don't "think" that I know anyone who has been directly affected by the trajedy, not yet anyways.

But even still I am being sincere when I say that I am one human being that regrets the unexpected loss of another humans' life and find it especially hard when the loss occurs in non-life threatening situations ... such as a college campus.

And, do you spend your time regretting every single such death in the world? Or do you selectively select only the ones that are slammed down your throat by a biased, overzealous media? How much regret did you have for the 200 people who were killed in Iraq yesterday? You don't choose the ones you care about through sincerity, you choose them based on how much you hear or read about them in the media. you choose to regret the ones that make a good topic of conversation. That isn't sincerity, it is pure hypocrisy. I can understand somewhat the concern of people living in the same country, but everyone else, get some bloody perspective.

And, do you spend your time regretting every single such death in the world? Or do you selectively select only the ones that are slammed down your throat by a biased, overzealous media? How much regret did you have for the 200 people who were killed in Iraq yesterday? You don't choose the ones you care about through sincerity, you choose them based on how much you hear or read about them in the media. you choose to regret the ones that make a good topic of conversation. That isn't sincerity, it is pure hypocrisy. I can understand somewhat the concern of people living in the same country, but everyone else, get some bloody perspective.

An inelegantly expressed, yet completely true and valid point. :D

You can only react to the ones you know..... If I don't know about it, how can I speak of it? People don't choose to care about the ones that make good convo, they just speak about the ones that 'everyone' curently knows about.... Whats the point of talking about ones that almost no one will have a clue about?

The deaths in Iraq? There is still coverge of it, even though its a lot less then it used to be. I think everyday what a waste the lives lost are, but theres not much I can do there.

Did you care about the deaths of 9/11? Should we not care about deaths that quite honestly should never of happened?

I mean if you don't care, that's fine, but you don't need to tell other people how they feel.

I can understand your point Cav...

But did I say I don't have any regrets for the people of Iraq.

There is a war in Iraq, so death unfortunately can be expected to happen there ....

I don't expect kids going to college to be gunned down! So yes I regret both situations.

But there is a larger shock-factor involved in the campus shootings.

You should regret the deaths in Iraq, because their blood is directly on the hands of the US government, as they started it all.

It's a society issue, not an issue about people's right to bear arms. Take away the guns, nutter's will use knives. Take away the nutter's, more nutter's breed. Take away the ability to breed successfully, problem solved. The planet's natural balance is restored. AIDS will hopefully rid the planet of man, a horrible virus.

Sometimes it's hard to see the cure if you are directly affected by the cure.

I think similarly.

You two couldn't be more wrong. Look,when you are 5 feet away from a gun wielding psycho "fight or flight" is going to result in your death for certain. But when you 5 feet away from a knife weilding psycho "fight or flight" is very much likely to save you from being a statistic.

It's human nature to be attached to some people more than they are attached to other people. An example is the coverage of the shootings on CNN & BBC. But the same channels gave merely a few minutes for the deadliest Iraqi bombings. Perhaps Al Jazeera must be covering in a vice-versa manner. There's no reason why some tragedies affect us more than the others. I don't think any finger can be put to it.

Double standards are a way of human life.

Double standards are a way of human life.

Perhaps to object to double standards is to have double standards? (Fwiw I do agree with Cav though, to some extent.)

Perhaps to object to double standards is to have double standards? (Fwiw I do agree with Cav though, to some extent.)

Man,don't put words into my mouth. I don't think there's an easy answer to your question. I too agree with Cav. At the same time , I don't find anything offensive about some people showing partiality to some tragedies.

You can only react to the ones you know..... If I don't know about it, how can I speak of it? People don't choose to care about the ones that make good convo, they just speak about the ones that 'everyone' curently knows about.... Whats the point of talking about ones that almost no one will have a clue about?

Then it is a gesture of convenience, not a humanitarian one. That is what it waas originally justified as, which I disagreed with.

The deaths in Iraq? There is still coverge of it, even though its a lot less then it used to be. I think everyday what a waste the lives lost are, but theres not much I can do there.

You can actually vote to change the situation, since your government is involved and directly responsible. Whereas in the U.S., it is purely a domestic matter, nothing to do with you or me.

Did you care about the deaths of 9/11?

Nop. Not more than hundreds of thoudsands who die every day. And it just shows how much you are affected by the media - that is a minor event compared to the really massive human tragedies of the last few years.

Should we not care about deaths that quite honestly should never of happened?

You cannot care about every death that should never have happened, otherwise that is all you would do.

I mean if you don't care, that's fine, but you don't need to tell other people how they feel.

The other way around actually, look back to how this discussion started - someone dictating what is and what isn't appropriate in this thread. 32 people I never knew die in some part of the world, why should I change my own behaviour in any way?

But there is a larger shock-factor involved in the campus shootings.

Then you're biased. And that means your concern isn't that of "one human being that regrets the unexpected loss of another humans' life".

Me affected by the media? I rarely watch the news, or even read a paper. I can't bare to most of the time, because it's always bad news. I search for things I hear about and want to know more about, and thats it.

It was impossible to miss something like 9/11 due to media, sure, but it's something I'd of looked into once hearing about it anyway.

To be honest, A couple of years ago I'd be completely in agreeance with you, but I changed after some events, where I just couldn't help but feel terrible. Now whenever I hear of these types of things, I do genuinely feel bad, and sorry for the lives lost.

The girl who died was my girlfriend's friend.

I'm saddened by all of this. I used to go to VT often during the football season and made many friends in the process. I'm glad they are all safe but still man... just tragic.

Then you're biased. And that means your concern isn't that of "one human being that regrets the unexpected loss of another humans' life".

Wow... you really do like to argue.

Yes I am biased... as are you.

You have opinions..... and you are entitled to them... no matter how biased I think they are. :lol:

I too agree with cav to most extent... There are so many deaths in any country with border disputes each day... and no one caares about them as they are no civilians...