Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buckheadschleife

Denny Hulme

I just looked up Denny Hulme in Wikipedia after looking at some old Can-Am stuff and found a pretty interesting fact: when he died from a massive heart-attack behind the wheel during the 1992 Bathurst 1000, it made him the first F1 world champion to die from natural causes! Pretty strange to think about... and ironic considering he was also racing at the time.

I just looked up Denny Hulme in Wikipedia after looking at some old Can-Am stuff and found a pretty interesting fact: when he died from a massive heart-attack behind the wheel during the 1992 Bathurst 1000, it made him the first F1 world champion to die from natural causes! Pretty strange to think about... and ironic considering he was also racing at the time.

Didnt James Hunt die from a heart attack?

Or did you mean the only WDC to die while racing?

Yes he is one of 3 people to die at Bathurst in its long history of racing.

As I wrote that I thought about James Hunt. For some reason I was thinking he died of lung cancer - but you're right - heart attack. Whomever wrote the article must have attributed that to his lifestyle, thus deeming it not "natural causes."

I suppose it should be the FIRST to die of natural causes....

He certainly wasn't the only one, as Fangio also died of natural causes...

He certainly wasn't the only one, as Fangio also died of natural causes...

He was my next stop.

Didnt he die of old age in 1995?

Yes, he is right.

Denny Hulme, or 'The Bear' as he was known, really was a gentleman racer. A true Kiwi as well, he worked his way up from the very bottom, racing single seaters in his homeland, to eventually become F1 Champ. Often overlooked amongst the other great Champions of the sports past; Denny was also an accomplished Can Am driver, alongside his Indy 500 projects - on one memorable occasion he raced there with severely burnt hands.

His death in a way marked his heroism too. Coming down towards the end of the supremely quick Conrod Straight in his Benson and Hedges liveried BMW, Denny suffered the heart attack that killed him. Rather than careering into the wall, hence risking the lives of other drivers, Denny managed, whilst having a Fatal Heart Attack, to wrestle the car to a somewhat more calmer stop at the side of the road.

When the marshals found him, he had gone.

Truly wonderful to read your posts, Martin. Post more or send me a PM about where in this cyber-maze you normally post!

Yes, he is right.

Denny Hulme, or 'The Bear' as he was known, really was a gentleman racer. A true Kiwi as well, he worked his way up from the very bottom, racing single seaters in his homeland, to eventually become F1 Champ. Often overlooked amongst the other great Champions of the sports past; Denny was also an accomplished Can Am driver, alongside his Indy 500 projects - on one memorable occasion he raced there with severely burnt hands.

His death in a way marked his heroism too. Coming down towards the end of the supremely quick Conrod Straight in his Benson and Hedges liveried BMW, Denny suffered the heart attack that killed him. Rather than careering into the wall, hence risking the lives of other drivers, Denny managed, whilst having a Fatal Heart Attack, to wrestle the car to a somewhat more calmer stop at the side of the road.

When the marshals found him, he had gone.

What a story. Thanks for posting that Martin-1, I'd never heard of Denny Hulme until I read this.

Here he is at the Nurburgring in 1967

denny20ring.jpg

blasphemy, never having heard of Hulme, one of the only 13 F1 drivers to win at the Green Hell and a complete jokester when out of the car, why take this picture for example after winning the Swedish gp in 73

Hulme_73_sweden_01_bc.jpg