Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTR

Ferrari Wheel Covers

did anyone else see the covers over the wheel nut jack thing (i cant for the life of me figure out the name of it.. my brain is dead right now) during the pitstops at Silverstone?

i unfortunately missed all but the highlights of the race on sunday night, so brundle & co might have explained it during the coverage..

i havnt seen it at any race previously this season and havnt seen any other teams using it..

it looks like a protective cover to stop the mechanic getting his tangled in it and also it looked like they put a cover on the wheel like i used to have on my bike when i was about 8 years old.

finished.jpg

that kinda thing..

sorry if im being very stupid.. i think i need to go sleep, but any info would be appreciated!

x

I am only guessing here, but since the front ones don't rotate with the wheel, they need to be slotted onto the axle a certain way..I would guess the shiled holds the cover in position relative to the wheel nut rotating so it can be lined up correctly when the new wheel is put on.

I am only guessing here, but since the front ones don't rotate with the wheel, they need to be slotted onto the axle a certain way..I would guess the shiled holds the cover in position relative to the wheel nut rotating so it can be lined up correctly when the new wheel is put on.

They mentioned during the Speed coverage on Friday or Saturday that, like the rears, it's officially for brake cooling; it definitely doesn't rotate.

They actually have modified the air gun with a widget that supports the "spat" (that's the word Varsha was using). The wheel nut man actually has to change guns; he uses one to take the wheel off, then while the wheelman is moving the new tyre into position, he switches guns, the new gun has a new "spat" in place in the widget already. I only noticed it once during the pit stops, but it looks like it spins once or twice going in; it's almost certainly keyed to the wheel nut in some way.

Still seems like a moveable aero device to me... :mf_tongue:

They mentioned during the Speed coverage on Friday or Saturday that, like the rears, it's officially for brake cooling; it definitely doesn't rotate.

They actually have modified the air gun with a widget that supports the "spat" (that's the word Varsha was using). The wheel nut man actually has to change guns; he uses one to take the wheel off, then while the wheelman is moving the new tyre into position, he switches guns, the new gun has a new "spat" in place in the widget already. I only noticed it once during the pit stops, but it looks like it spins once or twice going in; it's almost certainly keyed to the wheel nut in some way.

Indeed it is, but since nobody has protested it, it's legal...nice.

Indeed it is, but since nobody has protested it, it's legal...nice.

Teams shouldn't protest it. They should copy it! I like the look of those static front rim shields :)

Teams shouldn't protest it. They should copy it! I like the look of those static front rim shields :)

I wasn't saying teams should protest, only that the lack of protest prevents them from being illegal. I don't like the looks of them. Too many years watching the deep rims and fat tyres.

I wasn't saying teams should protest, only that the lack of protest prevents them from being illegal. I don't like the looks of them. Too many years watching the deep rims and fat tyres.

They remind me of the bad old days of hot rodding. Anyone remember Moons?

:wacko:

Sorry Mike, didn't mean to imply that you were saying teams should protest. Though I must admit, I like the slick look of them, an would like to see more teams come up with their own versions.

Just to elaborate on what Yoda has already mentioned.

The slot is in that part of the wheel so the hot air generated by the brakes is directed under the sides of the car which in turn accelerates it aiding in downforce levels and stability.

Martin Brundle did mention something about problems with Ferrari's wheel gun! I don't know if he said it broke into half or it remained on 1 of the Ferrari drivers but it might give some answers to this thread!

Martin Brundle did mention something about problems with Ferrari's wheel gun! I don't know if he said it broke into half or it remained on 1 of the Ferrari drivers but it might give some answers to this thread!

One of the wheel covers broke in half when they removed it from the hub, if I remember correctly.

does anyone have any close up photos of this from the race weekend?

sorry to be asking, but i really dont have a clue where i would look!

Just to elaborate on what Yoda has already mentioned.

The slot is in that part of the wheel is there so the hot air generated by the brakes are directed under the sides of the car which in turn accelerates it aiding in downforce levels and stability.

:clap3: I didnt know that the wheel caps were so useful. I will try in my Daewoo :blush:

well said Aussie. Honestly I thought they were just there for streamlining.

The fairings are static and are part of the wheel nut and wheel retention set up. When they bolt the wheel to the hub, the extension inside the wheelnut reaches through hub to the back of the upright and splines onto a mounting, this stops the fairing spinning. Once the mechanic bolts the nut on, he needs to spin the fairing to engage the wheel retainer pegs and spline the fairing into position. The clear cover around the Wheel gun hold the fairing roughly in place, I guess the wheel retainer\fairing spline could lock into a position 90 or 180 degrees from the its proper position otherwise.

At Silverstone the fairing wheelnut fell out of the wheel gun, it didn