Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rainmaster

Gronholm To Retire...

Well it has been rumoured a lot this season, and now it is true - Marcus Gronholm will retire at the end of 2007.

Gronholm to retire at end of 2007

By Matt BeerFriday, September 14th 2007, 08:52 GMT

Marcus Gronholm has announced that he will retire from the World Rally Championship at the end of the season.

The 39-year-old Finn won the WRC title with Peugeot in 2000 and 2002, and currently leads this year's standings by 10 points over Sebastien Loeb.

"Over 20 years of rallying has given me a lot and I've always dreamed of ending my career on its top," Gronholm said in a statement on his personal website.

"Now I have an excellent chance to make it happen and I'm going to use it.

"There are no dramatics involved as I want to give possibilities for younger driver to reach their dreams - like I have done."

Gronholm made his first WRC start in 1989 but did not contest a full season until he joined Peugeot's works squad in 2000.

He proceeded to win that year's title and has been at the forefront of the series ever since - taking 30 victories and winning a second title in 2002. He has spent the last two seasons with Ford after Peugeot withdrew from the WRC.

His co-driver Timo Rautiainen has announced that he will also retire from the sport when Gronholm stops rallying.

"To be honest I cannot imagine continuing my co-driver career with anyone else," said Rautiainen.

"I have had privilege and honour to experience ups and downs of Gronholm's career and gain two World Rally Championship titles with him.

"Now it's also my time to step down and watch how legendary rally driver joins his fellow the company of retired 'Flying Finn' rally drivers like Tommi Makinen, Juha Kankkunen, Markku Alen, Hannu Mikkola and Ari Vatanen."

space.gif

Source

What do you think of that then?

This reminds me of MS's retirement.We all expected it,but even though I can't imagine what WRC will be like without him... :(

But life goes on! :banana: There will surely be some nice battles with Hirvonen,although Loeb has lost his main competitor.

Leob's Main challenger next year will diffenetely come from either the New Suzuki rally car or Chris Atkinson

or not...

Gronholm could be part-time in '08

By Glenn FreemanThursday, October 11th 2007, 12:39 GMT

Marcus Gronholm could contest a part-time schedule in next year's World Rally Championship with Ford, this week's Autosport reports.

The Finn is set to retire from rallying at the end of the year, but it now appears that he may return for selected events in 2008, and he could share a car with Jari-Matti Latvala through the season.

"Nothing is decided and, for now, I'm just focused on what we have to do for the rest of the season," said Gronholm, who would not deny the move as a possibility when asked about it in Spain.

"When it comes to Monte Carlo, I might go and spectate. I would just stand at the side of the road and laugh as they are trying to decide about the tyre choice. But, when Sweden comes, maybe it's more interesting."

Gronholm's current teammate Mikko Hirvonen admitted that he has told team boss Malcolm Wilson to get Gronholm back in the car after his planned retirement.

"I've been telling Malcolm we should get Marcus back for a few rallies next year," said Hirvonen. "If (my teammate) is not Marcus, then I don't really care who it is going to be."

Autosport

Cool.