yurp 0 Report post Posted June 17, 2008 From the BBC... The Netherlands have won Group C and will play the Group D runners-up in the quarter-finals.Romania will qualify for the quarter-finals if they beat the Netherlands, eliminating France and Italy. If Romania fail to beat the Netherlands, the winner of France v Italy will go through. If France and Italy draw, a point against the Netherlands would be enough to send Romania through. France must win to have any chance of qualifying. If France and Italy share a score draw (1-1, 2-2, 3-3 etc), Italy will go through if Romania lose (by any score). In this scenario, Italy, Romania and France will be level on two points each but Italy would have scored more goals in games between the 3 teams. Romania will finish bottom of the group if they lose and France and Italy draw 2-2, 3-3 or 4-4. France will finish bottom if they draw 1-1 unless Romania lose 3-0 or by a four-goal margin. If France and Italy draw 0-0, Romania can lose by one goal, two goals or by a three-goal margin other than 3-0 but still qualify. In this scenario, Italy and Romania would have identical head-to-head records, but Romania would have better goal difference in ALL group matches or, in the case of the three-goal defeats, goals scored. France would finish bottom, having scored fewer goals head-to-head v Italy and Romania. If Romania lose 3-0 to the Dutch, Italy would qualify with a 0-0 draw against France because of their superior coefficient points. France would finish bottom as they would have scored fewer goals head-to-head v Italy and Romania. If Romania lose by four goals or more and the other game ends 0-0, Italy would proceed with a better overall goal difference than Romania. France would finish bottom as they would have scored fewer goals head-to-head v Italy and Romania. If France and Italy draw AND Romania avoid defeat, then Romania go through. right - everyone clear now? Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Eric 0 Report post Posted June 17, 2008 How's this: If my team wins, it doesn't matter cuz at least they won. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
dribbler 6 Report post Posted June 17, 2008 Even if England were in this tournament (apparently they are not, is that right?) i wouldn't give a tuppeny f*ck. I don't mind watching a good kick about. It's the mentality of the fans that turns me off the sport. They probably say the same about me and F1, though. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
yurp 0 Report post Posted June 18, 2008 Even if England were in this tournament (apparently they are not, is that right?) i wouldn't give a tuppeny f*ck.I don't mind watching a good kick about. It's the mentality of the fans that turns me off the sport. They probably say the same about me and F1, though. I just posted it for the fact that I thought it funny how the BBC could make such a hash of attempting to simplify things. As for what sports people like - horses for courses really. Football and F1 are pretty much all I'm interested in (sports-wise). But others will say Cricket and Golf are their sports of choice. As for the "mentality of the fans" - are we to assume all football fans have the same mentality dribs? If we do, then we should assume that all F1 fans do too. Now we can see from this forum that that's simply not true. Dribs - you're more intelligent than that comment. I agree that some "fans" are plonkers, but then the same's true of any sport - perhaps footy has more than it's fair share, but then footy has more fans than any other sport, so that's not surprising. There are a lot of us quiet admirers of footy, who don't throw plastic chairs and beer bottles around. Personally, I play a lot of footy - it's what keeps me fit. I absolutely love the simplicity of the game and the cheap pleasures of passing, dribbling , scoring, a good first touch, running, jumping etc. I think that playing the game is far better than watching - I really only enjoy some of the top flight matches and the internationals and my watching pleasure is garnered, not from supporting 1 team or my country, but rather admiring some of the amazing tallent exhibited by the likes of Zidan (in his day) and many others. Much like my love of F1 - I love watching the driving skills and the technology involved in getting those cars around the track as fast as they do, but I'm not at all partisan in either sport. England not being in the tournament pleases me to be honest - they weren't good enough and that's that. (Notice I say "they" rather than "we" even though I'm English - that's the difference between me and many of those fans who's mentality you dislike. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
dribbler 6 Report post Posted June 18, 2008 I just posted it for the fact that I thought it funny how the BBC could make such a hash of attempting to simplify things.As for what sports people like - horses for courses really. Football and F1 are pretty much all I'm interested in (sports-wise). But others will say Cricket and Golf are their sports of choice. As for the "mentality of the fans" - are we to assume all football fans have the same mentality dribs? If we do, then we should assume that all F1 fans do too. Now we can see from this forum that that's simply not true. Dribs - you're more intelligent than that comment. I agree that some "fans" are plonkers, but then the same's true of any sport - perhaps footy has more than it's fair share, but then footy has more fans than any other sport, so that's not surprising. There are a lot of us quiet admirers of footy, who don't throw plastic chairs and beer bottles around. Personally, I play a lot of footy - it's what keeps me fit. I absolutely love the simplicity of the game and the cheap pleasures of passing, dribbling , scoring, a good first touch, running, jumping etc. I think that playing the game is far better than watching - I really only enjoy some of the top flight matches and the internationals and my watching pleasure is garnered, not from supporting 1 team or my country, but rather admiring some of the amazing tallent exhibited by the likes of Zidan (in his day) and many others. Much like my love of F1 - I love watching the driving skills and the technology involved in getting those cars around the track as fast as they do, but I'm not at all partisan in either sport. England not being in the tournament pleases me to be honest - they weren't good enough and that's that. (Notice I say "they" rather than "we" even though I'm English - that's the difference between me and many of those fans who's mentality you dislike. All good points, well made. I just cannot help generalising when it comes to football. I could be slaughtered for some other generalisations i could make about it, so i won't. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
yurp 0 Report post Posted June 18, 2008 All good points, well made. I just cannot help generalising when it comes to football. I could be slaughtered for some other generalisations i could make about it, so i won't. Can't say I blame you dribbler - the press, government, police et al all make a pretty good job of generalising and furthering stereotypical ideas of a generic "football fan mentality". It's to the detriment of the game in the UK that that stereotype is one of drunken nutter. If the writers, business people, doctors etc who love football could become more represented it might help that image in becoming more realistic, but then the press likes hooligans - makes for good copy. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
dribbler 6 Report post Posted June 18, 2008 Can't say I blame you dribbler - the press, government, police et al all make a pretty good job of generalising and furthering stereotypical ideas of a generic "football fan mentality". It's to the detriment of the game in the UK that that stereotype is one of drunken nutter. If the writers, business people, doctors etc who love football could become more represented it might help that image in becoming more realistic, but then the press likes hooligans - makes for good copy. True enough. I guess i should just mingle with a few more meat heads. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
yurp 0 Report post Posted June 18, 2008 are you press, police or politician? time for my generalisations Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
dribbler 6 Report post Posted June 19, 2008 are you press, police or politician?time for my generalisations Nothing as fancy. I'm just your run-of-the-mill albino one legged homosexual leper. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Grabthaw the Hammerslayer 4 Report post Posted June 19, 2008 Nothing as fancy. I'm just your run-of-the-mill albino one legged homosexual leper. Ah leper jokes... Did you hear about the leper F1 driver? He crashed after he left his foot on the accelerator.. Or the prostitute in a leper colony? She left because business kept dropping off.. And finally did you hear about the leper hockey player? He had to quit after there was a "face-off" in the corner Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Medilloni 6 Report post Posted June 19, 2008 Ah leper jokes...Did you hear about the leper F1 driver? He crashed after he left his foot on the accelerator.. Or the prostitute in a leper colony? She left because business kept dropping off.. And finally did you hear about the leper hockey player? He had to quit after there was a "face-off" in the corner I just laughed my c#ck off... Adam.... Can't say I blame you dribbler - the press, government, police et al all make a pretty good job of generalising and furthering stereotypical ideas of a generic "football fan mentality". It's to the detriment of the game in the UK that that stereotype is one of drunken nutter. If the writers, business people, doctors etc who love football could become more represented it might help that image in becoming more realistic, but then the press likes hooligans - makes for good copy. Agreed with most of what you say, then I ask why there's no other sport that attracts the same type of negativity from the press and others. The mix of really bad player behaviour in the match (and off it), how it's marketed almost exclusively to youth and the two sides creating a gang mentality is enough to spark the problems that are more or less unique to the game - yeah, there are bad behaviour examples from fans of other sports, but incidental in comparison to footy. So in a nutshell, followers of football can't really too surprised with the press it gets, it's deserved. Btw, I love to play it too. Just the (majority) of players that give the impression of poor intelligence and self importance that's the problem for me. And for what it's worth, I think this cup thing is better for England not being in it - it's closer to watching a sport rather than the usual xenophobic sh!te we normally get. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
yurp 0 Report post Posted June 20, 2008 Adam....Agreed with most of what you say, then I ask why there's no other sport that attracts the same type of negativity from the press and others. The mix of really bad player behaviour in the match (and off it), how it's marketed almost exclusively to youth and the two sides creating a gang mentality is enough to spark the problems that are more or less unique to the game - yeah, there are bad behaviour examples from fans of other sports, but incidental in comparison to footy. So in a nutshell, followers of football can't really too surprised with the press it gets, it's deserved. Btw, I love to play it too. Just the (majority) of players that give the impression of poor intelligence and self importance that's the problem for me. And for what it's worth, I think this cup thing is better for England not being in it - it's closer to watching a sport rather than the usual xenophobic sh!te we normally get. yep - all very true. the only other sport I can think of with the overt connection to badly behaved fans would be aussie rules. you're right - the "spoilt brat" conduct of the players doesn't help matters and the sheer scale of crowds at footy matches means that the affect that the minority of twats can have on the rest of the crowd is intensified. the gang mentality thing is definately a problem. the the tribal-war-like atmosphere at games isn't healthy - funny how those opposing "fans" suddenly become best buddies when it comes to internationals though isn't it. stupidity. yep - that's why I'm enjoying the cup so much this year - the best teams in Europe (apart from the hosts ), impartial commentary and good footy. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Rainmaster 7 Report post Posted June 20, 2008 Jeez. I thought F1 rules were complicated until I saw this. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
pabloh20 1 Report post Posted June 20, 2008 yep - all very true.the only other sport I can think of with the overt connection to badly behaved fans would be aussie rules. you're right - the "spoilt brat" conduct of the players doesn't help matters and the sheer scale of crowds at footy matches means that the affect that the minority of twats can have on the rest of the crowd is intensified. the gang mentality thing is definately a problem. the the tribal-war-like atmosphere at games isn't healthy - funny how those opposing "fans" suddenly become best buddies when it comes to internationals though isn't it. stupidity. yep - that's why I'm enjoying the cup so much this year - the best teams in Europe (apart from the hosts ), impartial commentary and good footy. Do you still think it's like that? The odd game I think it's like that, but the majority of the time it's ok, these days. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Eric 0 Report post Posted June 20, 2008 Croatia sucks. How did they miss 3 penalty kicks? Wow. Then again, I suck. I've played in about 3 soccer games. I never missed a PK, but I could never pass the ball where I wanted it to go. I was better at the more American sports where we use our hands, and not our feet. Because my hands were just more toned; you eat KFC with your hands, you know. Anyway, go Spain. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
yurp 0 Report post Posted June 21, 2008 Do you still think it's like that? The odd game I think it's like that, but the majority of the time it's ok, these days. I think that overtly the situation has improved yes, but mostly through more sensible policing (at least in the UK). In the 70's things would get rough outside most games especially local derbys. Since then they've improved the situation by essentially keeping the fans apart. Whether that has helped in ridding the game of people who are after a fight remains to be seen. As soon as those measures are relaxed will we see the return of the hooligan? I can't say - I do hope not. At the moment it seems sad that supporters can't be trusted to mix as they do at the world and european cups. I think that internationals are generally pretty friendly affairs since die hard supporters tend to follow club teams week in week out and that's where the trouble happens. When they're on foreign soil once every 4 years or so, they tend to behave better (most of the time) although sometimes, infamously not. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites