Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

Just How Good Is Daniel Ricciardo?

I ask this as this season isn't like last, do you think he maximising the most out of the car or do you think someone else could do better? IMO I think he is doing a bloody good job with what he has been given and I don't think anyone else out there could be doing a better job, I also think as a driver he is getting better. Whats your opinion on this?

Wait a minute - I'm so fedup of talking about Kimi but I cant help but be tempted to point out your statement there is contradictory to most of your pro-Kimi arguments over the last few months!

Anyway I think Dan is doing a great job. I especially like his aggressive racecraft, in 2014 we saw several outstanding manoeuvres and we've seen a few in 2015 too

Wait a minute - I'm so fedup of talking about Kimi but I cant help but be tempted to point out your statement there is contradictory to most of your pro-Kimi arguments over the last few months!

Anyway I think Dan is doing a great job. I especially like his aggressive racecraft, in 2014 we saw several outstanding manoeuvres and we've seen a few in 2015 too

Please explain Jem.

In F1 you can compare a driver to his team mate. Thats it. The rest is speculation. Too many variables.

That is true, it's an endless list of "what ifs"

First bit on kimi, no hostility just curious.

Because you've been reminding spiral of Alonso's destruction of Kimi in 2014, and he (or she?) has responded with unfounded nonsense IMO to try and convince everyone that the 2014 team-mate comparison is irrelevant. Now he (or she) is saying team-mate comparison is the only way you can judge a driver's ability, odd.

Because you've been reminding spiral of Alonso's destruction of Kimi in 2014, and he (or she?) has responded with unfounded nonsense IMO to try and convince everyone that the 2014 team-mate comparison is irrelevant. Now he (or she) is saying team-mate comparison is the only way you can judge a driver's ability, odd.

Ohh iam with you, I totally agree. I just misunderstood your post bro. Easy to do over the net. But it's clear as day isn't it? It's not rocket science and he and "kool monkey" and "bradspeed" all think I have this vandetta against kimi, when that's not the case, everyone should know me by now, weather I hate or like the driver is irrelevant if they put in a decent performance and i will acknowledge the job they have done, always have and always will. Like I can't stand Vettel, but he is doing a damn good job this year and I say that with all honesty. These individuals also are using this season with alonso at Mclaren as a comparison, when for starters the reliability is that shocking its impossible to tell anything and if there using this excuse after six races and not accepting kimis poor results after what,18/19 races in 2014 is a joke. They are either pulling a leg or they simply have no clue on what there talking about and that's being honest and it's hard to accept as I try respect everyone's opinions but some of the stuff is pure brain farts.

Totally different scenario man, Alonso made that car for himself you see!

But yeah Kimi is past his prime, I havent denied that for a while. He IS 36.

36 man Schumi was still winning races at 36 not to mention almost an 8th title. Fangio was still winning at 46. Age is not an excuse, it's in your preparation. I dont want to brag but iam a black belt (still classed as a black belt even though I can barely walk now lol) in Aikido and age bounds no limits if you have the right mindset, ive seen masters in there 80s dominating men 40/50 years younger than them so age wont pass on me.So your bagging alonso's car development because he didnt give a hand out to kimi? These guys need to sort there own stuff out, kimi is experience enough and I thought talented enough to figure these issues out, looks the same this year. Did Vettel design this car to suit himself also?

I'm assuming theres no actual hard evidence that Ferrari tried to design a car just to suit Alonso's style. In 2009 presumably they would've designed their 2010 car for Massa, and Alonso still walked in the next year and totally dominated him

I'm assuming theres no actual hard evidence that Ferrari tried to design a car just to suit Alonso's style. In 2009 presumably they would've designed their 2010 car for Massa, and Alonso still walked in the next year and totally dominated him

Yeah exactly, there is no proof all there is is results and they are the ones that tell the story. Some situations the points don't tell the whole story but in these two situations, they do as the results back up the points standings.

What's the go with people calling for a penalty for Danny at Monaco with his move on KR7? Ok he made contact but who cares, Kimi still held onto 6th position, n got some points, u need to be aggressive at monaco to do a pass, and the way people have made it sound that Danny deserved a penalty, made my jaw drop, do people want o see passing or a prosession? What's wrong with this sport?

It's only kimi fans that want the penalty bro, it was fair IMO, kimi left the door open and dan took it, you watch the lap earlier he tried the same thing but kimi defended it quite well. If it wasnt an expereinced driver like kimi though, it would have ended in tears. Same with alonso on Hulkenberg, he was way up the inside and the move was done when hulk turned in. The penalties are all over the place, I think they need to explain why certain people get penalised if its not clear cut IMO.

Penalties have always annoyed me cos like you say, they will put drivers off being aggressive. At the time I did think Dan was pushing a very fine line with that move, he pulled it off thank goodness but it's a shame about the penalty because next year he'll think twice about doing something similar, and the fans as usual lose out.

That's right, I think the main issue is there so inconsistant, iam sure you can think of atleast one incident in the past that was a much more aggresive manoeuvre than alonso's and went without a penalty. I know I can, then you watch older races from the 90s even early 2000s and there was alot more aggressive moves and even people cutting chicanes more often the old hockenheim circuit was notorious for people skipping chicanes and they might have done it a few times in a race without a penalty, it's so inconsistant now and that down to having different stewards as each person sees things differently. What was that penalty with alonso anyway? 5 seconds added to a pitstop, it was mentioned on here before how the car was up on the jacks and tyres ready and went at it once the 5 seconds was up. What happened to the rule if not being able to touch the car at all until the penalty was fulfilled? So many rules and changes even hardcore fans struggle to keep up.

I think they did away with the 10 second stop-go penalty cos it was way too harsh. The driver stewards are usually Mansell, Warwick, Herbert, Alesi I think to name a few. You would think those guys would appreciate aggressive racing!

You would think so, especially with some of the push and shove battles they have been involved in in the past:

The only reason I do that is because people around here are so wound up about it so easily. It's disappointing to me that Alonso smashed Kimi lat year for sure. Kimi hasn't been on the boil since his McLaren days. The other side of the coin is that Kimi was more dominant when they were actually racing RACING cars. Nowadays its a ridiculous charade of energy conservation and ridiculously impossible set ups.

Regardless, Kimi in his prime, was unarguably one of the fastest drivers in history, and unquestionably quicker than any current driver in their prime. Yes that includes Alonso.

The only reason I do that is because people around here are so wound up about it so easily. It's disappointing to me that Alonso smashed Kimi lat year for sure. Kimi hasn't been on the boil since his McLaren days. The other side of the coin is that Kimi was more dominant when they were actually racing RACING cars. Nowadays its a ridiculous charade of energy conservation and ridiculously impossible set ups.

Regardless, Kimi in his prime, was unarguably one of the fastest drivers in history, and unquestionably quicker than any current driver in their prime. Yes that includes Alonso.

I do agre with this post, except IMO I don't think he was faster than fernando. I even think Mika Hakkinen was faster IMO, if we're talking about pure pace. But don't get me wrong in his Mclaren days he was bullsh17 fast, especially over a single lap but unfortunately those days are gone now.

Yeah webber seemed to do well at that got a few good qualy positions in the jaguar for that reason.

I freaking loved the one lap qualy days. One car on track, no chance of anyone getting in the way. One lap to fail or be a hero. It was great. I still wish we had this back in F1. But I'd leave it for the top 10 shootout. That way we as fans was watch every single driver do their one lap. Not just who the broadcasters want us to watch, and then usually nothing for most of Q3, until we see a whole bunch of cars crossing the finish line.