Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

What Kimi Needs To Do To Keep His Seat.

Even though he is not performing and should probably go, I think that they will keep him. For the moment he is a 'safe' bet, he is experienced and a good No.2 driver.

Ricciardo has openly said that he'll be at RBR next year (and Vettel will fight tooth and nail not to have him at Ferrari with him) and Bottas has gone off the boil.

Kimi is in my view performing as good as most level headed folk feel he should be at this stage. 3rd was the only achieveable position he could be holding, and he's currently 4th in the standings. Hardly a disaster when the person whose 3rd is both your team mate and a 4x WDC. Neither Ferrari drivers were going to be beating the Mercs. Malaysia was an anomaly more so that I even think Merc turned their engine way down out of arrogance.

I welcome for anyone to actually explain how Kimi is under performing, is "Sh#t", passed it, over the hill and so forth. The only area he needs to improve on is qualy. His race pace is excellent. How he improves on qualy I don't know. I think most of it comes down to tyres and not getting enough heat into them. Rather than do the zigzags and go all Alonso weaving this way and that, I think the car itself is not helping to generate the heat needed in such quick time.

He is performing the best he can at the moment and IMO he would be safe for next year providing he keeps scoring points the way he is. The truth is, he could do better as you only have to look at how Vettel is extracting the most from the car but in saying that, he has made a drastic improvement since last season. Just sharing the article is all I was doing mate .

Its unrealistic to expect a 36 year old to do what he was doing in his mid twenties. He's nearly 40 for gods sake. The fact that he is still performing at that level is in and of itself amazing. Put him in a car he loves and he would PWN ALL YO MOTHERF*CKERS*

Its unrealistic to expect a 36 year old to do what he was doing in his mid twenties. He's nearly 40 for gods sake. The fact that he is still performing at that level is in and of itself amazing. Put him in a car he loves and he would PWN ALL YO MOTHERF*CKERS*

That age thing is now excuse, Schumi was still winning races at that age and almost an 8th title in 2006 when he was 36 so that excuse doesn't mean anything IMO.

Damon Hill won a WDC at 36. And if Kimi is now slow because he's old etc, then why the hell would Ferrari want to give him a 3rd year and keep paying him a sky-high salary?

I've said before that being 4th in standings doesn't prove he's doing a great job, they have a performance advantage over Williams & RBR so he'd have to be REALLY bad to be lower than 4th.

The reason the world expects him to at least match Vettel is because Kimi isn't any old no.2, he's a former champ who's won a lot of races & used to be regarded as arguably the best out there.

Damon Hill won a WDC at 36. And if Kimi is now slow because he's old etc, then why the hell would Ferrari want to give him a 3rd year and keep paying him a sky-high salary?

I've said before that being 4th in standings doesn't prove he's doing a great job, they have a performance advantage over Williams & RBR so he'd have to be REALLY bad to be lower than 4th.

The reason the world expects him to at least match Vettel is because Kimi isn't any old no.2, he's a former champ who's won a lot of races & used to be regarded as arguably the best out there.

Yep totally agree and not only that,Vettel has moved into a new environment, like I've said before its a huge change to how Redbull run there operation so he would have to get used to that on top of a new chassis. Raikkonen knows how it works at Ferrari and much hasn't really changed since he was there last in terms if there day to day running. That's the biggest win for Vettel IMO, not only is he beating kimi on the circuit and in the standings but he has come in and hit the ground running. With kimis experience and prior knowledge of Ferrari and being chewed up last year, you would think he would be doing his absolute best to make this his advantage. It's not that kimi isn't trying but he simply might not be good enough in that aspect anymore and like you said Jem, if Williams and Redbull were at there level in performance, I highly doubt Raikkonen would be sitting fourth in the standings, most likely he wouldn't be. Buts that's my 2 cents worth and I know it's going to start something again if I keep stating my opinion or monkey and spiral will say iam bringing kimi up again and be completly blinded by the other posts iam replying to. Happens to often now it's like a movie script.

That age thing is now excuse, Schumi was still winning races at that age and almost an 8th title in 2006 when he was 36 so that excuse doesn't mean anything IMO.

And most drivers can do that I suppose.

And Ive said before if F1 was about driving fast and in cars that require driving, he would be at the front.

Yep totally agree and not only that,Vettel has moved into a new environment, like I've said before its a huge change to how Redbull run there operation so he would have to get used to that on top of a new chassis. Raikkonen knows how it works at Ferrari and much hasn't really changed since he was there last in terms if there day to day running. That's the biggest win for Vettel IMO, not only is he beating kimi on the circuit and in the standings but he has come in and hit the ground running. With kimis experience and prior knowledge of Ferrari and being chewed up last year, you would think he would be doing his absolute best to make this his advantage. It's not that kimi isn't trying but he simply might not be good enough in that aspect anymore and like you said Jem, if Williams and Redbull were at there level in performance, I highly doubt Raikkonen would be sitting fourth in the standings, most likely he wouldn't be. Buts that's my 2 cents worth and I know it's going to start something again if I keep stating my opinion or monkey and spiral will say iam bringing kimi up again and be completly blinded by the other posts iam replying to. Happens to often now it's like a movie script.

tldr

And most drivers can do that I suppose.

And Ive said before if F1 was about driving fast and in cars that require driving, he would be at the front.

tldr

homer-brain-leave-o.gif

Frankly people are going after Kimi simply beacuse of his age, he is after all the oldest driver on the grid and will be 36 in October, just as they did when Webber was the oldest driver.

He's doing a reasonable job, Seb isnt wiping the floor with him and their pace has been pretty evenly matched, both have had Qualy disasters and if it werent for Kimi's retirement in Australia they'd be closer on points too.

Frankly people are going after Kimi simply beacuse of his age, he is after all the oldest driver on the grid and will be 36 in October, just as they did when Webber was the oldest driver.

He's doing a reasonable job, Seb isnt wiping the floor with him and their pace has been pretty evenly matched, both have had Qualy disasters and if it werent for Kimi's retirement in Australia they'd be closer on points too.

That is true, that retirement probably makes thinks look worse, but it's his qualifying that puts him on the back foot for the race, if he sorta that out, then the results would come easier.

Driver management has been a mess for longer than I can remember. So I don't expect any rational decisions to take place. Kimi will stay or go on whatever the swing c#cks decide as they helicopter between their palaces.

Were driver management to make any sense, teams would hire drivers that do more with the car than the car is capable of.

It is bizarre to say that Ferrari has made a 2nd best car and that a driver is "safe" from getting the boot as long as he drives it as 2nd best. It amounts to saying that a driver can do worse but no better than what the car gives. It makes no sense. It is ridiculous.

And yet, as ridiculous as it is, that's the dominant philosophy. It is about who produces a supercar each season. It was RB before, it is Mercedes now. Racing over.

The best we can hope for is for two teams to manufacture supercars... but, then, it is a freaking coin toss because drivers are not expected to get more than the car gives. It's a total screwup.

Maure, it's true though. A team having the 2nd best car, and getting 2nds and 3rds in races, is then nearly the maximum they can. If we take away the excitement element, then for instance in Vettel's case he's doing good to better than expected. Let's take Nico for example. I get the feeling people think he's doing worse than expected and should be getting more wins and poles. He's still 2nd. Most people expected him to be 2nd. So in that sense he's right on target. But compare that with Vettel. Both are still where they are expected, but Vettel has gone over and above what has been expected.

Applying this to Kimi, whilst he's 4th which was hoped for since we really didn't know how good the Williams or RBR were until racing started this year, it became apparent quickly 3rd or 4th was going to be the realistic best outcome. In that regard he's delivering. Certainly enough to not lose his seat. Qualifying is letting him down, but his race pace is excellent. And he's still raking up fast laps. It's like he just keeps getting faster as the race goes on. I know that happens anyway with less fuel & weight, but he's got great consistency. Thus I think Ferrari need to either sit down with him and really work out how to heat his tyres quickly, or his style may never really be able to get these Pirellis up to scratch in one lap.

WebRic, Kimi's retirement does skew the points in Vettel's favour. Add another 10-12 points for a 5th or 4th in AUS and he's then only 20 odd points behind Vettel.

What I more interested about is how Williams have fallen back. They had the clear 2nd best car last year but couldn't get a win out of it. They still have a Merc engine btw. But I think this shows that whilst they started last year with a great package, they don't have the know how to develop it and get more out of it. Thus this year to me shows them at basically the same stage as the end of last year, whilst the others have made advancements forward.

Driver management has been a mess for longer than I can remember. So I don't expect any rational decisions to take place. Kimi will stay or go on whatever the swing c#cks decide as they helicopter between their palaces.

Were driver management to make any sense, teams would hire drivers that do more with the car than the car is capable of.

It is bizarre to say that Ferrari has made a 2nd best car and that a driver is "safe" from getting the boot as long as he drives it as 2nd best. It amounts to saying that a driver can do worse but no better than what the car gives. It makes no sense. It is ridiculous.

And yet, as ridiculous as it is, that's the dominant philosophy. It is about who produces a supercar each season. It was RB before, it is Mercedes now. Racing over.

The best we can hope for is for two teams to manufacture supercars... but, then, it is a freaking coin toss because drivers are not expected to get more than the car gives. It's a total screwup.

Yep totally, we haven't had a proper season with two teams able to fight it out neck and neck every race weekend since Schumi and Ferrari and alonso and Renault back in 2006 and that's the truth. The years after that it has been mainly one team, some will argue and say Ferrari and Mclaren in 2007 but realistically that was Mclaren's season to loose and they did so by poor management,giving there drivers to much room to flex there muscles. 2008 was a so so season where reliability played the most part and since then it's been brawn, then Redbull for 4 yrs and now Mercedes.

I think 2010 was a two team race. Alonso had every chance of winning it in the last race had it not been for the legend that is Petrov.

2009 could also be considered a two team race because Brawn had the best car at the start, and RBR the best at the end. One or two more races and Vettel would have beaten Button. Vettel had 3 retirements vs Buttons 1x yet finished only 9 points behind him.

It's like youre denying reality then agreeing with it. I cant work this out.

I think 2010 was a two team race. Alonso had every chance of winning it in the last race had it not been for the legend that is Petrov.

2009 could also be considered a two team race because Brawn had the best car at the start, and RBR the best at the end. One or two more races and Vettel would have beaten Button. Vettel had 3 retirements vs Buttons 1x yet finished only 9 points behind him.

True but iam talking about a horse race virtually from the word go.

We've learned to have low expectations.

It is true that over the last few years there have been some close calls championship-wise but not because of drivers excelling. Remember 2008, I don't think that Massa and Hamilton were ever in the same TV shot. If one screwed up or crashed, the other got ahead and viceversa. The least incompetent eventually won.

I too think that last proper championship was between Alonso and Schumacher but only because of Schumacher. Alonso was not enough of a driver yet and would have lost the championship had not Schumacher broke down in Suzuka.

After that, I can't say there has been much to be happy about. Kimi did great in 2007 but he had no competition because RD was busy destroying McLaren. In 2009, there was no competition because Whiting forbade Renault and RBR from implementing the infamous diffuser while ushering Brawn along. Button collapsed once the gap was closed and eventually won the championship on the back of a single race. Good for him, sure, but sucking for all of us. In 2010, RBR had to backstab Webber to gift Vettel the championship. That's not racing.

And so on.

Out of the last few years, only Alonso has consistently (but not always) raced beyond his car. But instead of making him the standard, he has been vilified. As a result, we've have many years of hero-worship but little to account for.

I would boot 70% of the grid and get fresh faces by tomorrow. These guys just go round and round waiting to land a supercar. The fvckers even dare to talk about scoring podiums in 2016 or beyond.

WTF?

Out of the last few years, only Alonso has consistently (but not always) raced beyond his car. But instead of making him the standard, he has been vilified.

not possible to "race beyond a car"

I would boot 70% of the grid and get fresh faces by tomorrow. These guys just go round and round waiting to land a supercar. The fvckers even dare to talk about scoring podiums in 2016 or beyond.

WTF?

What do u expect. The drivers are all pretty much getting the potential out of their cars because a) they are easy to drive and b ) because they spend half their time conserving something. Getting rid of them will do f all.

not possible to "race beyond a car"

What do u expect. The drivers are all pretty much getting the potential out of their cars because a) they are easy to drive and b ) because they spend half their time conserving something. Getting rid of them will do f all.

I agree, getting rid of the current crop will do nothing, you need to change the sport back to a psyical demanding sport once again. You remember when the used to get out the car and they were virtually stuffed, red faced and who can remember ayrton senna in brazil 1991? When he wanted to win so bad he put up with full body cramps to win and had to be lifted out the car and didnt even have the strength to hold up his winners trophy on the podium. Now that's dedication, iam not saying drivers today arnt dedicated but it's a walk in the park compared to say 10/20years ago.

It is you guys the ones that complain about ant races.

If the current lineup were told that they were kissing their seat bye-bye come season's end unless extraordinary results were obtained, they would approach races quite differently.

To me, that's the make or break.

Most drivers would sink, granted. But a few would float, like Ricciardo did last season. Everything was against him and yet, he had an extraordinary year.

That's the measure.

And that's what I said about Alonso providing the standard. It's not about him personally. It's about minimum requirements. To claim that he just drove the car simply implies that no one else did. That's bullsht.

The situation is not unlike with luxury cars. A fool was going on the other day claiming that any car manufacturer could produce a Maserati or a Koenigsegg if only they threw money at it. No, they can't. Manufacturing those cars requires a degree of expertise and dedication that very, very few individuals can muster. That's the standard I'm talking about.

It is you guys the ones that complain about ant races.

If the current lineup were told that they were kissing their seat bye-bye come season's end unless extraordinary results were obtained, they would approach races quite differently.

To me, that's the make or break.

Most drivers would sink, granted. But a few would float, like Ricciardo did last season. Everything was against him and yet, he had an extraordinary year.

That's the measure.

And that's what I said about Alonso providing the standard. It's not about him personally. It's about minimum requirements. To claim that he just drove the car simply implies that no one else did. That's bullsht.

The situation is not unlike with luxury cars. A fool was going on the other day claiming that any car manufacturer could produce a Maserati or a Koenigsegg if only they threw money at it. No, they can't. Manufacturing those cars requires a degree of expertise and dedication that very, very few individuals can muster. That's the standard I'm talking about.

Yeah you make sense but asking this from the current drivers is near impossible granted the rules and regulations. As soon as a driver wants to push, there told to take it easy,just like alonso, who wanted to push to atleast race someone and he is called a whinger, could you imagine what other things would have been said if kimi had that out burst? Not things people said about alonso, that's for sure and that just prooves the frustration of this sport now and refuelling would get rid of that aspect. It's not the full cure but atleast they could race balls out again.

Refueling is a ruse. F1 has died as we know it. When was the last time you can honestly remember a driver going balls out with no regards for tyre wear, brakes, being told to conserve fuel etc.

F1 needs to rid itself of the fallacy of "Green" for starters. No more ERS. Get rid of these V6 unless they allow RPMs to go as high as they like, and remove ALL fuel restrictions. Let them use what they want, and how they like.

Refueling is NOT going to improve things one bit, because they will no doubt introduce something utterly stupid to go with it, like restricting how much they can refuel -- ie. one can only refuel up to 10liters at a time, or force them to have a minimum number of refuel pitstops. I'm serious. The rules as they are now in F1 are a joke. But they keep introducing even more stupid rules ad finem.

F1 needs to not be run by unanimous decision. How can we have Merc holding every other team hostage over the engine freeze situation. The FIA should be the ones to level the playing field and remove any team from holding that sort of power. They allowed all the other teams to modify their aero, exhausts and other things endlessly when RBR were winning, but now won't allow any team to work on their power plants unless ALL the teams agree. It's not fair and it's turning people away. NO body wants to see races when they know Merc are going to crush the competition because the other teams are not allowed to improve. I hope Renault and RBR keep bringing a new engine to each and every race and keep starting at the back of the grid so that it brings out into the open, the lunacy that F1 has become. Maybe then something will finally happen.