Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sakae

2017 Pre-season testing

6 posts in this topic

Why?

I've never understood objectives of such strategy, and always suspected it is more of PR tool (we are better than your stop watch is telling you), than anything of practical use. The team, methinks, needs to establish their performance baseline, formulate countermeasures, and balance those with planned developments. The only way to get it is to let it fly on full throttle.

Pre-season testing dates (Barcelona)
February 27 to March 2
March 7-10

Edited by Sakae

A positive so far is hulkenberg has stated that these cars this year are really going to push the drivers limits as he prepares to race the fastest f1 cars he has ever raced.

Vettel crushed into a barrier at Fiorano during wet track testing. He has lost control, as car seemingly lost traction on warm up lap. Drivers criticized the warm-up characteristics of last year's Pirelli wets, and it might be big question mark how much better, if at all, it is going to be this year. It could have been driver's error as well, however from video on the internet his car (modified F15) appears to flick as they do when tires are cold without adhesion. Seb incurred some bruisers but hopefully will be OK.

AMuS is reporting that ambient temperatures were about 5 deg. C, and tires extremely cold. Car was smashed pretty good.

Car for lack of spare parts couldn't be repaired, so it is over for Fiorano wet test. Expected feedback from Vettel - I am guessing - is, we need warm up blankets back, or a different tire characteristics. I can't see driving 10 laps in the race behind a safety car anyone will like much. Seb procured some bruises, but otherwise is fine.

Anyone wants to predict how many cars in average will be finishing races this year?

Edited by Sakae

It is interesting considering the alleged increase in speed the 2017 spec cars will have.  Warming up the tyres will be a huge issue but just who will be able to handle these quick new 'beasts' overall will be key. Personally, I think you can count them on one hand. Alonso, Massa, Verstappen, Hamilton and Ricci. The possibles are perhaps Vettel, Bottas, Perez and the Hulk. The rest may struggle. Button, a veteran of the big lump era is around if the learning curve is too steep for Stoffy. I certainly see a pile of carbon wreckage at the first few races for sure. It's a whole new ball game and the simulators will have been working overtime. Pirelli will certainly have to up their game. 

F1 Rule changes refresher in nutshell.

Scanning internet yields nothing more than confusion and disagreements. From data sheets made available to Pirelli in support of their development (Hemb.) feedback we received - some teams seems very close in performance, some others will not be. (Very clever answer).

Edited by Sakae