Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Piotr

I sworn I will return when Kubica returns...

And so here I am, 7 years later. I bet nobody remembers me, but so be it. I'm excited Kubi is back, and like millions (yes, millions) of his fans, I consider him a winner, regardless where he places next year. 

On 12/22/2018 at 10:33 PM, jackgarrett said:

Cool, nice, I remember you a little.

Cool! So you remember my fights with Kati regarding Nick Heidfeld vs Kubica? Good old times! 

Wow, I just noticed the pic in my avatar. My son was 4 years old then. He is 18 now and going to college... i FEEL old. More Kudos to Kubica for coming back after all that time...

On 12/24/2018 at 11:44 AM, Piotr said:

Wow, I just noticed the pic in my avatar. My son was 4 years old then. He is 18 now and going to college... i FEEL old. More Kudos to Kubica for coming back after all that time...

Old? No, old is remembering being at the 1973 Mid-Ohio round of the dear departed Can-Am Series and watching George Follmer in the 1972 Porsche 917/10K battle Mark Donohue in the 917/30KL!!

Back to Kubica, I was really disappointed when Williams passed him over for Sirotkin. Nothing against Sirotkin, but I think a 2nd year guy and a rookie was not a good way forward. I believe signing Kubica for 2019 is recognition of that mistake.

On 12/26/2018 at 11:53 AM, DeeAnn said:

Old? No, old is remembering being at the 1973 Mid-Ohio round of the dear departed Can-Am Series and watching George Follmer in the 1972 Porsche 917/10K battle Mark Donohue in the 917/30KL!!

Back to Kubica, I was really disappointed when Williams passed him over for Sirotkin. Nothing against Sirotkin, but I think a 2nd year guy and a rookie was not a good way forward. I believe signing Kubica for 2019 is recognition of that mistake.

Well, if we go that far... I remember Ronnie Peterson burning alive on live TV. Besides that, I agree with you... LOL

Sorry guys -

Kubica is One Day Too OLD and One Hair Too BALD.

He shouldn't have forced himself there and let younger dudes have their chance. 

And that's  all I'm gonna say :reddevile:

On 1/4/2019 at 2:53 AM, radical-one said:

Sorry guys -

Kubica is One Day Too OLD and One Hair Too BALD.

He shouldn't have forced himself there and let younger dudes have their chance. 

And that's  all I'm gonna say :reddevile:

Right upfront I admit that didn't like this driver for his stand towards BMW, thus my comments are probably influenced by the past feelings about his ungrateful attitude. Point I wish to however make, that it will be pretty weird situation to see him handling an F1 car whilst others use both hands, and him reading tires during a race correctly (if so). Something is not adding up here in the race analysis, and why he was actually hired. Is it for luring media focus because racing results by any driver will be not that good with the equipment built by Williams? I think Vettel was probably right when he (rather more softly than I am) suggested, this might be colossal waste of an F1 seat. The nomination is not normal IMO for seating one handed driver, whilst Ocon is sitting on sidelines. I do not buy that nonsense that he will be helping to provide proper feedback in post-race debriefing. Look at Button providing feedback to  McLaren-Honda, and where it got them.

Then safety issues. What will happens if there is a bump into his wheel? We know if a car is about to hit barrier, a driver must take hands off the wheel, unless he wishes to incur to have both hands broken. Can this guy handle even any lesser situations without actually collecting other cars with him? I am not sure what was FiA thinking, but I do suspect that Kubica would be out for good, had Sid Watkins anything to say about it.

5 hours ago, Sakae said:

Right upfront I admit that didn't like this driver for his stand towards BMW, thus my comments are probably influenced by the past feelings about his ungrateful attitude. Point I wish to however make, that it will be pretty weird situation to see him handling an F1 car whilst others use both hands, and him reading tires during a race correctly (if so). Something is not adding up here in the race analysis, and why he was actually hired. Is it for luring media focus because racing results by any driver will be not that good with the equipment built by Williams? I think Vettel was probably right when he (rather more softly than I am) suggested, this might be colossal waste of an F1 seat. The nomination is not normal IMO for seating one handed driver, whilst Ocon is sitting on sidelines. I do not buy that nonsense that he will be helping to provide proper feedback in post-race debriefing. Look at Button providing feedback to  McLaren-Honda, and where it got them.

Then safety issues. What will happens if there is a bump into his wheel? We know if a car is about to hit barrier, a driver must take hands off the wheel, unless he wishes to incur to have both hands broken. Can this guy handle even any lesser situations without actually collecting other cars with him? I am not sure what was FiA thinking, but I do suspect that Kubica would be out for good, had Sid Watkins anything to say about it.

Welcome back Sakae

1 hour ago, radical-one said:

Welcome back Sakae

Thanks radical, but I am not fully committed as yet to stay. This place seems to run on life-support, to be brutally honest.

4 hours ago, Sakae said:

This place seems to run on life-support, to be brutally honest.

Maybe time to consider flipping the switch

12 hours ago, DPR said:

Maybe time to consider flipping the switch

Nah, not yet. People would return and participate - I think - if conversation becomes civil, diverse, and interesting. Problem is, this public bulletin become unreadable at times, voicing hates and nothing more. One fellow hates Vettel (and it seems also Germans), so he comes here from time to time remind us of it. In contrast, I like Vettel who seems a decent man. I also like to talk business of F1, life in paddock and however nothing much more. I do follow only very few drivers during a race, and do not find time for others. You will not catch me to sing ode about hypocrisy of Webber, Hamilton or Alonso, and some in here took offense at that. That kind of "problems" however can be overcome if others focus on the other drivers or subject of their interest, and broaden scope and depth of the conversation.

Example - I am opposed to imposition of team's budgets, and I've listed reasons why such concept is foreign to F1 with problems along-way. Teams have theirs own budgets and do not need Liberty's dictatorship. I am not going to repeat all of it here and now, but a fellow who insists budget will resolve all ills of F1 however never addressed a one single concern on my list, validating his arguments. He has actually moved to another website instead. Well, that's not really supportive of conversation either. Reasonable people can disagree, but we can still talk about it, instead making dogmatic statements if a hockey team can do it, an F1 team should do it as well. (Lord save me from arguing such propositions.) 

We should try to revive this place, methinks. Tools are here, and it is up to us - guys and gals - to develop this place into something people will look forward to return every day as time permits, and use those tools wisely and with care.

3 hours ago, radical-one said:

Well at least you are back-ish Sakae.

We can keep it alive again soon as the Season starts. :milk_carton:

Life goes on every day, including in-between racing seasons. :)

Respectfully, I do laugh my bollocks off when I see comments like, "Then safety issues. What will happens if there is a bump into his wheel?" and other comments that infer he's 'driving with one hand'.

I get we're all entitled to our opinion, though we are talking about the 2013 WRC2 Champion, just 2 years after his accident ffs. Time and healing has gone by, his surgeon has no doubts whatsoever about the strength in his right hand and arm being up to the task of F1.  Knowing this, imo, after going to hell and back and passing every 'test' thrown at him, he deserves the chance again. 

As for his age and younger drivers could be there instead - don't blame people for this opinion, totally understandable.  As far as I'm concerned, anyone with the ability to compete at the front in F1 (which Williams believes he has) deserves their position, regardless of age, and in RK's position, a disability that doesn't get in the way of safety (FIA's already been there). 

By the way, here's RK dealing with a few 'bumps into his wheel

... and "Can this guy handle even any lesser situations ...." lol

....I won't be here for the, "Yeah, but......" :P

Wonderful, yet I am still not sure which point you are making other than F1 is so easy, one can survive and flourish whilst driving with one healthy hand through the entire season. Despite your heartwarming defense of the decision to have this driver on the grid, nothing has changed on the fact he will be competing against others over period of grueling 21 races, several of those back to back. If you think all of that means very little in this case, then you are right, I have no sensible argument to add other than I am hoping he will stay healthy through the season, despite all my doubts about wisdom of this experiment. In conclusion, Williams made all kind of decisions lately, and look where it got them. This is just one more thing in their history. Before I leave this topic altogether, I wish them good luck as well.

On 1/18/2019 at 4:16 AM, Sakae said:

You are ridiculous. WHAT stand toward BMW ? Kubica wanted to push for the win, BMW decided to wait, and then quit F1 altogether, so I am a bit confused here. He is NOT bringing as much money as Sirotkin, so he did not "buy" his seat. Vettel is practically as old as Kubica, which makes Vettel a hypocrite. "Nonsense that he will be helping develop the car?" Do you know ANYTHING about Kubica? Do you know ANYTHING about F1 pre 2018????? Literally EVERY team Kubica worked for indicated that his knowledge about the car sets him apart from all other drivers, VETTEL included. 

Again, it cracks me up when a arm-chair "expert" worries about "the safety." F1 evaluated him in 2017 and determined it is safe for him to drive. People who forgot more than WE will ever know about the safety in F1 declared that Kubica is safe. Kubica clearly has shown he was faster than both Williams drivers to date. 

So, what is it really that you have a problem with?? 

In general terms I find difficult to conduct rational discussion after an emotional and perhaps obnoxious outburst, but to clarify, yes, I know about BMW (a lot actually), and I also know a thing or two about the F1 prior 2018. I am sorry to disappoint you, but I still do not see what's the big deal with Kubica. He was overrated than, and nothing has changed today, regardless of noise on sidelines. I do however credit him for trying, despite all adversity he had in his life. His mental dedication is exemplary, and not everyone is that strong. As said before, I wish him trouble free, healthy season.

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/3990/kubica-injuries-no-concern-to-williams-lowe/  I guess Mr Lowe has substantially more insight into the situation than a forum member that states ' I know about BMW (a lot actually), and I also know a thing or two about the F1 prior 2018.'  without giving any back story or information. 

I'm out of the scene, an old race mechanic from F5000 and other formula many years ago, still in contact with people I can get very little info from these days, but some snippets that give good opinions and insight, and happy to share if asked.  So, what about you Sakae, with your "insight" and what you "know" about BMW which you say is "a lot actually".  Then enlighten us about the 'lot' you know of, give a snippet, examples, your experience with BMW, the 'insight' you had/have. 

Maybe you could tell us a story of your association with an F1 team?  When you do, and you verify it, I'll offer my sincere apologies - seriously.  If you can't, and you reply with the usual fudge of 'finding it difficult' (you poor boy) with another 'emotional or obnoxious outburst' then I'll know you're just a forum twat. 

No wonder this place is dead.

On 24/12/2018 at 9:44 PM, Piotr said:

Hi Piotrr. Yes I remember you. Old Kubuca faithful. Your son was 3 yrs old now 18!!! My, how have the years just flown by!!! Great to have u back... hopefully :)

Good to see you again Med

On the subject of Kubica, I must admit having concerns too. Sure, its great to see him back... but as Sakae has indicated...WHY? Why cling so desperately to a return in abit of handicap (I might get slated for this) position, after so many years. Is it more for sentimental reasons? What is BMW hoping to gain? It's valid q's and concerns. Make no mistake, there was great potential before he went rallying ahead of the start of a F1 season.

I guess if the powers that be has considered and deemed him capable... so let it be. I await to see him perform back on the grid, albeit with some scepticism. Hope he proves me wrong

On 1/26/2019 at 1:00 AM, Medilloni said:

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/3990/kubica-injuries-no-concern-to-williams-lowe/  I guess Mr Lowe has substantially more insight into the situation than a forum member that states ' I know about BMW (a lot actually), and I also know a thing or two about the F1 prior 2018.'  without giving any back story or information. 

I'm out of the scene, an old race mechanic from F5000 and other formula many years ago, still in contact with people I can get very little info from these days, but some snippets that give good opinions and insight, and happy to share if asked.  So, what about you Sakae, with your "insight" and what you "know" about BMW which you say is "a lot actually".  Then enlighten us about the 'lot' you know of, give a snippet, examples, your experience with BMW, the 'insight' you had/have. 

Maybe you could tell us a story of your association with an F1 team?  When you do, and you verify it, I'll offer my sincere apologies - seriously.  If you can't, and you reply with the usual fudge of 'finding it difficult' (you poor boy) with another 'emotional or obnoxious outburst' then I'll know you're just a forum twat. 

No wonder this place is dead.

There is no need for my insight when you are here. Perhaps you can tell us how it matters not when you drive an F1 car with one healthy hand only, or rather with both, while reading with precision degradation of tires, etc. It is long time ago when I stop reading about or listening to Mr. Lowe. On second point, I am not sure where do you think you read it, but I've never claimed working for an F1 team. Past BMW association is slightly different one than you simply made up in your imagination.

Kubica F1 return makes Webber 'nervous'