Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hobbit

Alonso Vows To Defend Title

ALONSO VOWS TO DEFEND TITLE

Last Updated: Thursday, 09, March, 2006, 16:07

Click to enlarge

Fernando Alonso has vowed to do the "maximum" to retain his world championship crown after refuting suggestions that 2006 is a transitional year before he switches to McLaren.

The Spaniard told the pre-season press conference that he was determined to defend his title as a Renault driver and that as world champion he can bring even more to his campaign.

"I see 2006 as a year to defend the title and to win again," he said.

"It's my last year with Renault and I need to win for them and for me and I will do my maximum.

"I'm much more relaxed now, for the future, and I can really concentrate to win this year, not talking about which team I will be with next year in the coming races."

Alonso said that now he has a title behind him he realises that there is more to winning titles than just winning races and that, in the end, being world champion was more important to him.

"I always arrived at the first race, in the past, planning to fight for the races or to be on the podium, winning races or something like that.

"Now I have much more confidence in myself and much more looking forward to the championship, at the end, to be world champion again. It doesn't matter how many races you win, maybe.

"It's only a matter of being champion at the end and this is a different approach."

Alonso warned his rivals, that although any title-double aspirations he might have are dependant on the competitiveness of the Renault, he fully expects the R25 to be a race-winner.

"It all depends on how quick the car is," he said.

"It doesn't matter how motivated you are because as soon as you start the race and the green lights go on, all the drivers do their maximum, their best and sometimes you can do it and sometimes not.

"The best thing is that we arrive ready again, the new car is competitive and strong enough to be quick on race pace.

"I think we are ready for the first race, we'll see what happens on Sunday."

FA sounds like a man still on a mission. I do not expect him to sit back this year. His comment about the # 1 on his car shows he is ready to defend.

although im a fan of him and button. I certainly hope neither will win too many races as i want an open season :)

5-6 wins is enough i reckon :) each

although im a fan of him and button. I certainly hope neither will win too many races as i want an open season :)

5-6 wins is enough i reckon :) each

I'll be happy if JB & Alonso fight it out, as long as JB comes out on top!!

lol, yeah. My two fave drivers battleing it out for the title. That would be a dream come true!

FA, FR, JPM and JB.....these 4 drivers should be on top.....Ok maybe RB too.

FA is the driver to beat in 2006!

Common Fernando!!!!!

So Alonso is going to try hard. Oh he means he's going to do his job? Big deal. Why on earth would he not give it full beans even thought he's Woking bound? Anyone who suggests otherwise knows nothing about either Alonso, F1 or sport in general.

:naughty: I hope he doesnt win a single race, to make up for all the good luck he got last year

Get ready to cry Jemstride :naughty::naughty::naughty: