Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jenson_Rules

The Film Thread

Peter Dinklage was also superb in The Station Agent, which should be seen by all looking for something other than loud explosions and special effects. (In and of themselves, they are fine but there are moments when something of substance is preferred.) The film rolls along like a well written short story.

As for Watchmen, a young fellow loaned it to me this past winter and insisted I give it a try. I did. I wish I could get that block of time back.

Watchmen was only ever meant as a comic book. The whole point was to show comic book superheroes in a very different light from what they had been shown in up to 1986. A big part of the 'statement' of the book was dependent on it being a comic book. The contrast was more striking between the iconic heroes of the regular books and these flawed heroes in Watchmen. When you take all that and put it into a totally different media, it loses it's punch. That being said, if it were made into a movie in the late 80's it might have worked. In 2009 it's treading ground already broken many times before, ironically started by the Watchmen comic book.

And if anyone is wondering if they would enjoy the comic book, well, only if you liked comic books and remember the hero archetypes in them circa 1986 ;)

'The Limey'. Oi, it's one helluva tough little entertaining movie. Terrence Stamp on top form. The scene where he talks to the US police chief (or anti-drug dude) in a Brit accent is hilarious. Interesting to know of some Brit slang. Like 'China' stands for mate, using the rhyming logic. China plate -> mate. I think I had heard of this rhyming logic in 'Green Street Hooligans' (another excellent movie) too.

c#ckney Rhyming Slang, me ol china! Green Street was Ok. Not as good as Football Factory. Watch anything with Ray Winstone in. Scum is a good start. Good film.

c#ckney Rhyming Slang, me ol china! Green Street was Ok. Not as good as Football Factory. Watch anything with Ray Winstone in. Scum is a good start. Good film.

Did watch Scum a long time back. Full of unpleasant truths & savage brutalities. Pretty good movie. Strike that, it's bloody good.

Speaking of football, no movie can ever top 'Shaolin Soccer'. Fucking hilarious.

:lol: I'll have to watch that when I can.

I watched Deathwatch, with young Jamie Bell (the lad from Billy Elliot) - certainly is one hell of an actor. One of the best films I've watched in recent times.

[font="Tahoma"]Watched Prince of Persia, and like so many game to film adaptations, it didn't quite do it justice (it really is a great game). [/font]

Watched Prince of Persia, and like so many game to film adaptations, it didn't quite do it justice (it really is a great game).

Yeah. I liked the game too but thanks for this as I was pondering whether to go see it, but I guess I'll wait for the blu-ray!

While we're on the subject of game to film adaptation, Resident Evil is OK at best, Hitman, nope. Tomb Raider is entertaining enough and both Final Fantasy films are good though I preferred Advent Children in Japanese with english subs. The best by far is Silent Hill. I think though they changed the characters about a bit, it really worked. I loved it.

I'd love to see what they could do with Assassins Creed, Metal Gear Solid and GTA: San Andreas!

Metal Gear Solid is practically a film anyway, with the amount of cut-scenes they have! But yeah, that would be fun.

Metal Gear Solid is practically a film anyway, with the amount of cut-scenes they have! But yeah, that would be fun.

Yeah! There is a lot! I would love to see Revolver/Liquid Ocelot, Solid and Liquid Snake, Big Boss, Meryl Silverburgh, Sniper Wolf, Otacon, Psycho Mantis etc on the big screen. Let you into a secret - I think I'd make an awesome Sniper Wolf lol. :lol: but Ocelot's definitely my favourite. 'I like to re-loooooad during battle.' immortal!

Watched Prince of Persia, and like so many game to film adaptations, it didn't quite do it justice (it really is a great game).

Yeah. I liked the game too but thanks for this as I was pondering whether to go see it, but I guess I'll wait for the blu-ray!

While we're on the subject of game to film adaptation, Resident Evil is OK at best, Hitman, nope. Tomb Raider is entertaining enough and both Final Fantasy films are good though I preferred Advent Children in Japanese with english subs. The best by far is Silent Hill. I think though they changed the characters about a bit, it really worked. I loved it.

I'd love to see what they could do with Assassins Creed, Metal Gear Solid and GTA: San Andreas!

Yeah, game-to-film adaptations typically suck. For example, 'Doom' (based on Doom 3, duh) sucked ass. And if you really want to find out how badly games can get mangled in the transition to movies, look no further than the work of German auteur Uwe Boll. The motherfucker, who makes only game-based movies, has a virtual monopoly over IMDB's bottom 100.

But the reverse can sometimes throw up pleasant results. For example, Vin Diesel's videogame (from his game studio Tigon) 'Chronicles of Ridd#ck: Escape from Butcher Bay" is a fantastic one, based on the movies 'Pitch Black' & 'Chronicles of Ridd#ck'. Vin Diesel rules!

And agreed, Steph, though I haven't played Silent Hill, the movie's fantastic.

Don't know if this should be in the game thread, but here it goes: Saw a video of the game 'Half Life'. What was unusual about it? Well, the entire game (which takes no less than 20 hours to finish) was completed in 45 minutes flat. It's jawdroppingly sick. I've never seen anything like it.

c#ckney Rhyming Slang, me ol china! Green Street was Ok. Not as good as Football Factory.

Saw 'Football Factory'. Found it okayish. 'Green Street Hooligans' is the better movie. Have you seen the movie 'I.D.'? It's another movie based on the football hooligans. It's got pretty good ratings on IMDB.

I watched Lady Vendetta.

Japanese made, this film really got to me at my very core. I cried like a baby, cheered and screamed at the TV through certain parts. Loved every minute, very good film. Though I do advise, even the strongest of blokes will be feeling emotional in certain parts - to say the least.

I watched Lady Vendetta.

Japanese made, this film really got to me at my very core. I cried like a baby, cheered and screamed at the TV through certain parts. Loved every minute, very good film. Though I do advise, even the strongest of blokes will be feeling emotional in certain parts - to say the least.

It's South Korean. Agreed that it's superb. After all, it's from teh director of 'Oldboy' , Chan Wook Park. In fact these 2 movies & 'Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance' (another fantastic movie) form his revenge trilogy.

Ah. Was going to say SK but wasn't 100% sure! Thanks for that.

I'll look out for those others. What did you think of the end? I thought was ingenious, I'd have done the same myself. Thats the part where I was screaming at the TV. I wanted them to show it! Yeah its a film, but so much more satisfying that way!

Ah. Was going to say SK but wasn't 100% sure! Thanks for that.

I'll look out for those others. What did you think of the end? I thought was ingenious, I'd have done the same myself. Thats the part where I was screaming at the TV. I wanted them to show it! Yeah its a film, but so much more satisfying that way!

The ending? Superb. Nobody could have come up with a better one. And yea, it's hard not to get involved even if it's just a movie!

Though I found 'Iron Man 2' to be immensely entertaining, I'm bitterly disappointed that Scarlett Johansson wasn't Stark naked.

So another movie and still no boobs from scarlett?? what must we do to see her naked on the big screen?? :eusa_think: :eusa_think: :eusa_think:

Saw this twisted, humorous Japanese movie 'Visitor Q' a long time back. I've no idea if I've already written about it in this thread, but anyway here it goes: No big surprise that it's twisted & bizarre. After all, it's from the madcap Jap director Takashi Miike. It's about a dysfunctional family. No, wait. The word 'dysfunctional' doesn't come remotely close to describing the eccentricities of this family. Incest, a daughter whoring herself, dad into drugs & necrophilia, a son who beats up his mother, a mother who complusively squirts milk from her funbags...well, you get the picture. Do see this movie if you've the stomach for twisted, dark, psychotic humour. Else you're better off laughing at Tellytubbies. Me, I loved this movie to bits.

Saw 'Hurt Locker'. Okayish movie. I think the director's cult movie 'Near Dark' will prove to be far more entertaining. Anyway, sigh, Katheryn Bigelow is so beautiful. wub.gif I'd be too willing to do her!

Saw 'Hurt Locker'. Okayish movie. I think the director's cult movie 'Near Dark' will prove to be far more entertaining. Anyway, sigh, Katheryn Bigelow is so beautiful. wub.gif I'd be too willing to do her!

Yes, Near Dark did have an appealing weirdness to it that worked for me. I'll be catching up with The Hurt Locker soon.

...And while I'm tempted to remind you that Ms. Bigelow is old enough to be your mother I am nonetheless fearful of your response. Remember, this is a family-based Forum.

(Have fun with that, Jay.)

Yes, Near Dark did have an appealing weirdness to it that worked for me. I'll be catching up with The Hurt Locker soon.

...And while I'm tempted to remind you that Ms. Bigelow is old enough to be your mother I am nonetheless fearful of your response. Remember, this is a family-based Forum.

(Have fun with that, Jay.)

What makes you think I didn't know her age? naughty.gif

JD the regular Dustin Hoffman. ;)

God bless you please, Mrs. Robinson

laugh.gif I'll have to watch that when I can.

I watched Deathwatch, with young Jamie Bell (the lad from Billy Elliot) - certainly is one hell of an actor. One of the best films I've watched in recent times.

Saw Deathwatch. Yeah, it's good. Bell was good but Andy Serkis ate everybody raw.

Also saw 'eXistenZ'. A trippy mind-bender with lots of humour. No idea why 'comedy' wasn't one of the categorising keywords on its IMDB page. Yep, Cronenberg delivers as usual. And also present is his fetish for ugly-squigly things worming their way into holes.