Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jenson_Rules

The Film Thread

Saw 'Reanimator' (1985). One hell of a B-horror movie. Why is it so? Let me give you a for instance. See, this decapitated doctor's head & body are still alive. Holding his head in his hand, he manages to strap a sexy, voluptous, nude blonde to a table. And what happens next, is mindblowing. His head's in a tray on the table, next to her rack. Leering at her natural baps, he controls the rest of his body to fondle her. When done with fondling, he pries her legs apart, holds his head in his hand and gives her a cunnilingus. Whoa! Creativity at its finest, no sarcasm!

Only you, Jay. Only you.

I watched El Secreto de sus Ojos recently on DVD and loved it as well. Ricardo Darin is awesome, I think the best movies I've watched in Spanish in the last many years are his like 9 Reinas and El hijo de la novia.

May/would you recommend others maybe not so famous Darin films?

Two very good non US movies I remember are Katyn and Das Leben der Anderen. There's a very good story behind the actual film in both cases around the directors.

There is another Darin film called "el Aura" is not as good as the ones you mentioned but he performed as usual. Nevertheles I like to point out that Soledad Villamil stole the movie: she achieved something very extrange nowadays, her eyes spoke! She could say "I love you" only with her eyes!

I recommend you another argentine director: Eliseo Subiela. He made a masterpiece -for me- "Hombre Mirando al sudeste". It´s almost 30 year old and lack some "speed" regarding today movies. I can only tell you hollywood copy the movie and called "K-pax" and did a far inferiro work.

I recommend you another argentine director: Eliseo Subiela. He made a masterpiece -for me- "Hombre Mirando al sudeste". It´s almost 30 year old and lack some "speed" regarding today movies. I can only tell you hollywood copy the movie and called "K-pax" and did a far inferiro work.

Indeed, I saw K-Pax, came away thinking it's a damned fine movie. Imagine my shock when I found out it's a rip off of the 'The man from teh southeast". I was hopping mad at not having seen the original. If there's one thing I zealously observe, it's watching a movie in its original avatar. Well, too bad I failed this time.

Yet to see this German movie, but recommending anyway: "The White Ribbon".

And this strange Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese, don't remember it) movie, 'Red to Kill'. From what I gather, this psycho goes ape Sh#t crazy if he sees any sexy woman dressed in red. I saw just a few scenes. He killed a lady in red & proceeded to knock up her lifeless body. This movie is what is labeled as a 'CAT3' movie in Hong Kong/other parts of Asia. Another movie in this category, though a lot funnier is 'Chinese Torture Chamber'. Seeing is believing : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwLLVrAgNL4

Saw '500 days of Summer'. Brill but depressing.

'Bitch Slap' is a hoot. Plenty of girl-on-girl action (of the bedding & fighting variety), foul language, over-the-top scenes, intentional cheapness and a whole lot of features that only an entertaining B-movie can have.

And speaking of B-movies, anyone ever heard of 'Basketcase'? Probably only David has, given that he's seen 'Reanimator'.

Yet to see this German movie, but recommending anyway: "The White Ribbon".

(Having seen a few films by this director I too am eager to watch this.)

And this strange Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese, don't remember it) movie, 'Red to Kill'. From what I gather, this psycho goes ape Sh#t crazy if he sees any sexy woman dressed in red. I saw just a few scenes. He killed a lady in red & proceeded to knock up her lifeless body. This movie is what is labeled as a 'CAT3' movie in Hong Kong/other parts of Asia. Another movie in this category, though a lot funnier is 'Chinese Torture Chamber'. Seeing is believing : http://www.youtube.c...h?v=uwLLVrAgNL4

Saw '500 days of Summer'. Brill but depressing.

'Bitch Slap' is a hoot. Plenty of girl-on-girl action (of the bedding & fighting variety), foul language, over-the-top scenes, intentional cheapness and a whole lot of features that only an entertaining B-movie can have.

And speaking of B-movies, anyone ever heard of 'Basketcase'? Probably only David has, given that he's seen 'Reanimator'.

(Know it by title and reputation - quite gruesome if memory serves.)

Caught up with Almodovar's Broken Embraces this past weekend. The 'look' of his films - the cinematography, the lighting, the sound, the set design - is invariably of the highest quality and he exhibits true gifts in his direction of actors. Even when his scripts have failings the finished film has real worth.

Sex and the City. Now. I used to love the series. I'm female. What female doesn't. It was funny, witty and had good issues dealt with. I loved Samantha. My friends say am like her - confident most of the time, not afraid of sex, and her character went through cancer too and kicked its arse. So Yeah, I identified with her.

However. The movie is pure drivel. Its ruined by stupid romance plots and changes the characters too much. A lot of Sh#t really.

Also, I didn't really like Avatar. I got bored.

I watched Silent Hill on Film 4 again. Love the film and the game. Transition is wonderful. And one of my favourite pieces of music is 'Promise Reprise' - Steve has heard it. The song fits perfectly. Its a childs playful innocence with the darkened heart overtone. Sinister. Haunting. I love the film and music. You should listen for yourself. Search for Silent Hill - Promise Reprise on YouTube.

Caught up with Almodovar's Broken Embraces this past weekend. The 'look' of his films - the cinematography, the lighting, the sound, the set design - is invariably of the highest quality and he exhibits true gifts in his direction of actors. Even when his scripts have failings the finished film has real worth.

I guess you've seen Almo's 'Carne trémula' too. It's on my to-see list.

Heard & read good things about this French movie 'Prophet'.

Hope to do an Al Pacino double bill over the weekend. 'Dog Day Afternoon' & 'You don't know Jack'.

Mike, Bradley, Ecapdeville, here's one docu-movie I think you should see: Art & Copy http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1333631/

The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas.

Beautiful, amazing film, but needs a "Heartbreaking - Get Some Kleenex" warning.

I

Agreed! A very beautiful, touching movie. Perhaps better than 'Life is beautiful'.

And don't leave your posts incompl

Mike, Bradley, Ecapdeville, here's one docu-movie I think you should see: Art & Copy http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1333631/

Thanks Jay! It's now on my 'must see' list. I laugh a bit at gallery artists who paint what's in their soul and call it art but never stop to see that we folks in advertising and illustration paint the soul of our culture.

Thanks Jay! It's now on my 'must see' list. I laugh a bit at gallery artists who paint what's in their soul and call it art but never stop to see that we folks in advertising and illustration paint the soul of our culture.

nicely put, actually quite a bit of poetry from you there Mike....

thanks for the link Jay

Saw Jim Jarmusch's 'Broken Flowers'. Superb movie. Bill Murray in top form. As is everyone else, albeit in cameos. Liked the ambiguous ending. Andres, no wonder you're a huge fan of JJ.

And speaking of Bill Murray, hope to catch 'Stripes' soon. Promises to be a rollicking comedy. I won't be surprised if David & a few guys who liked 'Caddyshack' (the 'Guilty Pleasures' thread) have seen it.

Nolaugh.gif . I've no life.

neither do i.... :D

but this its good that u get so much time for movies.. Here i dont get time even on weekends :(

Saw Jim Jarmusch's 'Broken Flowers'. Superb movie. Bill Murray in top form. As is everyone else, albeit in cameos. Liked the ambiguous ending. Andres, no wonder you're a huge fan of JJ.

And speaking of Bill Murray, hope to catch 'Stripes' soon. Promises to be a rollicking comedy. I won't be surprised if David & a few guys who liked 'Caddyshack' (the 'Guilty Pleasures' thread) have seen it.

Yes. When you're in the 'right' mood, and when he has the right material, Bill Murray is as good as anyone out there.

:oMost recent films I've seen:

Kick a##: very good, very funny & very action packed. The ads make it out to look like a comedy but trust me, what ya see on the ads is pretty much all the comedy in the film!

Iron Man 2: very good, plenty of guns & action & OMG Scarlett Johansson :o:o:o:o !!

"I want one"

(OK, I wouldn't go for Scarlett with that one, but it's a funny joke anyways :lol: )

...Mike, Bradley, Ecapdeville, here's one docu-movie I think you should see: Art & Copy http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1333631/

As I'm often up quite early on weekends I try to watch a film whenever possible. Yesterday I was pleased to discover that Art & Copy was available as an 'Instant Play' feature at the Netflix site. Watched it this morning; thanks for bringing this one to our attention, Jay. Most definitely worth your time and you certainly don't need to be in the business to appreciate this.

Saw 'Lassie' (2005). Simply marvelous wub.gif . A simple, inspiring and touching story about a dog's love for her "human pet". Good performances all around, especially by the kid and Lassie. But the best performance comes from Peter Dinklage. You'll have to have a heart of stone not to be touched by his performance.

And the humourous moments in this movie aren't too many, but as and when they occur they're devastatingly funny.

I also think this movie is an attack on the starched elites of the society. Though of course, the Duke does display "eccentricities" normally associated with unpretentious, poor people.

I just watched Watchmen. Regretfuly, as I later learned, it was the "Mega-extended-supercalifragilisticexpialidocious-Director's cut" which lasts slightly over 180 minutes.

I don't fear a painful death, after that experience.