Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SuperKimi

Flooding

It is possible. Where is the world going to put 60 million pomes :D

Though from what ive heard the biggest problem in the near future will be Bangladesh which is very close to sea level and will be one of the first countries to go completely underwater. Where on earth are we going to put 150 million people?

India and Pak.

That's just typical of Britain, isn't it? Global warming and we get colder and wetter.
It was raining in Ireland for 2-3 weeks constantly but somehow, it's boiling today! Clouds are starting to appear though but they don't do nothin!

I still can't help but remember that in the 70's it was 'Global Cooling' that was supposed to do us in. Hogwash, the lot of it.

And centuries ago, they thought that the earth was flat. So, since they were wrong then, we must be wrong now, because science never progresses.

Errr. That's a bit of a leaky boat you've got there.

Edit: atrocious grammar expunged.

Science talk. Way over my head.

Global warming. Woopty friggin do. We're all just paranoid and looking for a reason for us to all die.

I recycle. So I do my part. You should recycle too.

But by no means will I drive a Honda Insight to save the planet. Or use E85 Ethanol. Because Ethanol sucks. You get worse mileage, it's impossible to find, the US exports so much corn and if we use it all for fuel it sucks, and it takes a lot of energy to make. BAD.

Ok. That's all. Continue on talking about who knows what.

& if you think about it, the Koenigsegg CCX will become 4X as dangerous if it ran on Biofuel! Like what happened to the CCXR when it crashed into a ditch! 1018bhp because of biofuel & it crashed & it was the only production CCXR ever made so what will happen if more people tune their fast cars to biofuel, if their car manufacturer can allow them to??? More deaths on the M50, that's what! Oh wait, M25. Sorry.

Biofuel smells bad.

If they can get biofuel to smell likes gasoline, to get better mileage, to cost less, and to not waste an important crop, I'll go for it.

Of course, the death rate might not go up because not very many people drive a supercar. But would this have the same effect on F1 when they go biofuel? How exactly did biofuel cause this accident?

Biofuel smells bad.

If they can get biofuel to smell likes gasoline, to get better mileage, to cost less, and to not waste an important crop, I'll go for it.

Of course, the death rate might not go up because not very many people drive a supercar. But would this have the same effect on F1 when they go biofuel? How exactly did biofuel cause this accident?

Ask the Top Gear producer! He'll explain cos he was in the car at the time, but what I think happened was thta.. well they might've gone way too fast & they crashed into a ditch & that was the end o the only Koenigsegg CCXR to ever be built but I'd say they'll build more for next year but that's what Koenigsegg have done! Make them super powerful with this low emission, environmentally friendly flower power juice known as biofuel & make them crash, badly, & cause huge tailbackes on the M25 with debris scattered everywhere & on fire!

That's strange. Still not making sense. If he was going too fast, wouldn't he have been going too fast on regular gasoline (which is actually E10 Ethanol in the US)

That's strange. Still not making sense. If he was going too fast, wouldn't he have been going too fast on regular gasoline (which is actually E10 Ethanol in the US)

Yes but not as fast on biofuel so it turns out that this environmentally friendly stuff is'nt a benefit to the environment after all!

I know everything I say is a beautifully constructed sentance of pure genuis, but geez Danny, you didn't need to re-post it 5 times :P

Science talk. Way over my head.

Global warming. Woopty friggin do. We're all just paranoid and looking for a reason for us to all die.

I recycle. So I do my part. You should recycle too.

But by no means will I drive a Honda Insight to save the planet. Or use E85 Ethanol. Because Ethanol sucks. You get worse mileage, it's impossible to find, the US exports so much corn and if we use it all for fuel it sucks, and it takes a lot of energy to make. BAD.

Ok. That's all. Continue on talking about who knows what.

Really. Ive heard the exact opposite. Ive heard that ethanol actually gives you better mileage.

Environmentally friendly, my arse. Ever wondered how much land you need to grow the raw materials? Bring back the Stanley Steamer.

There's another problem with Ethanol.

Disclaimer: This is all a vague recollection from a seminar I attended, so don't quote me on it 100%, but it conveys the general idea.

As Ethanol use increases, more land is needed to grow the corn used to make it. Apparently, this is now causing less sweet corn (the kind we eat) to be grown, and more field corn (the kind they make Ethanol out of) to be grown. As this trend continues, the prices of food that contain corn (and LOTS of things contain corn) goes up, while the availability of said foods declines. (Even if you make Ethanol out of sweet corn, that's still corn taken from the food supply).

If it comes to a fight between food and fuel, fuel will always win, because people who drive cars ultimately have more money than people who are starving to death.

IMO, electric cars are the future, because there are many ways to generate electricity. And electric cars can still be fast, without really producing emissions on their own. Sure you make pollution to build the car, but you do that with any car. You make pollution when you create the electricity, but not of you do it using solar, wind, hydro, etc. If the cars are zero emissions, then you only have to find a clean way to generate the power, which is less work than cleaning up the power AND the cars.

Ive heard somewhere that ethanol is made from a waste in the production of sugar. This means if your country is already producing large quantities of sugar then it shouldnt be that hard for your country to become self sefficient in terms of fuel for your cars. I know for a fact that Australia and Cuba both produce large quantities of sugar and if both their governments put their minds to it they could power hundreds of millions of cars.

I thought Ethanol was made from corn? I know it got its name from ethyl alcohol, but I'm not sure what that has to do with. I never really researched it because it seemed like a dumb alternative.

There's another problem with Ethanol.

Disclaimer: This is all a vague recollection from a seminar I attended, so don't quote me on it 100%, but it conveys the general idea.

As Ethanol use increases, more land is needed to grow the corn used to make it. Apparently, this is now causing less sweet corn (the kind we eat) to be grown, and more field corn (the kind they make Ethanol out of) to be grown. As this trend continues, the prices of food that contain corn (and LOTS of things contain corn) goes up, while the availability of said foods declines. (Even if you make Ethanol out of sweet corn, that's still corn taken from the food supply).

If it comes to a fight between food and fuel, fuel will always win, because people who drive cars ultimately have more money than people who are starving to death.

IMO, electric cars are the future, because there are many ways to generate electricity. And electric cars can still be fast, without really producing emissions on their own. Sure you make pollution to build the car, but you do that with any car. You make pollution when you create the electricity, but not of you do it using solar, wind, hydro, etc. If the cars are zero emissions, then you only have to find a clean way to generate the power, which is less work than cleaning up the power AND the cars.

Interesting. One thought I have is that the EU and US encourage farmers through subsidies too much already, which prices African agriculture out of the market often. Maybe increasing demand for corn etc wouldn't be a bad thing, if it means less competition for the African farmers.

I thought Ethanol was made from corn? I know it got its name from ethyl alcohol, but I'm not sure what that has to do with. I never really researched it because it seemed like a dumb alternative.

It seems like a decent alternative to me as in the nest 20 years the world will run out of traditional oil so we need something else to power our cars. The good thing about Ethanol is we already have the technology to run a car with 100% Ethenol its just a matter of putting it into mass production. Im reasonably certain that corn, wheat and sugar crops are all capable of producing Ethenol and i watch a documentary about a year ago which says that my country is throwing millions of litres of ethenol away every day as we are simply not using it. Its really dumb in my opinion. The world could learn alot from what Brazil have done.

:thbup:

Electricity is the future with cars.

Back to floods, we had a few small ones last year, mere puddles compared to what I've seen on the news. Rained constantly the last few weeks but no floods fortunately. Feel sorry for the people who have been flooded, a new island was formed somewhere in the midlands, can't remember what is was called but began with T.

Thanks for bringing this back to discussion on the FLOODS IN BRITAIN lukeB.

Has the water levels gone down like in Tewkesbury after a sunny and hot day today, or did they get more rain? Not got chance to check yet.

The Thames and another river was supposed to peak at midnight or the early hours of today, so hopefully they have the situation under control, but even still, it's gonna take a heck of time to shift that water and repear the damage.

Not good. They are quite posh places as well.