Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caesar

Michael Schumacher Passed Away !

In deep sorrow i have to inform F1 community that our dear and beloved Michael passed away.

Cause of death and time of death is still unknown, but it is believed that

in-between 2006-2010 his body just stopped functioning.

He died at the same place where he lived, F1 track.

Fans found him on track during 2010 , and although it seemed that there were some signs

of life in him (his spirit and will to live were strong), his body couldn't cope with it.

They tried to reanimate him with everything that modern technology offers but it was too late.

If there is aF1terlife we all hope that he will enjoy fruits($) of this life there.

He will be remembered as a great driver, a true champion, one of the best, if not the best F1 driver.

You can write your thoughts and feelings about deceased in this thread.

He will be missed...

Michael Schumacher

1991.-2006.

It's too bad I got interested in F1 after his retirement, as now I'll have to rely on the archives to see him at his peak. I am still hoping he can spice things up this year.

I got excited about his return and wondered whether he could replicate his old form. Only the most avid fans will still be thinking that will happen now. Instead of worrying that his comeback could harm his reputation, I rather see this as an entrirely different chapter. For me, it's almost like judging two different drivers.

My fascination now centres around maybe seeing glimmers of the uber analytical Michael, the thoughtful, clever Michael. Seeing whether he can pull out a half decent result here and there.

The fact is, the things that made him special just aren't there anymore. He fades during races instead of coming alive and raising eyebrows. One could always rely on him at some point in a race to switch it on (not to mention his incredible in and out laps). I haven't seen that happen once in the last two seasons. With all the things at his disposal now gone (testing, creative strategy calls and a car somewhere near the best) he look distinctly average.

As I said though, for me this in no way diminishes his previous achievements because frankly, we are not watching the same driver.

The worst bit for me is wondering how all this will play out. It's clear to me that he will not get quicker and beat Nico. So what's left? Does Brawn truely still believe in Michael's ability to deliver like the old days? He would never admit it publicly, but I doubt it. Michael is relying on the fact that Brawn would never betray Michael by publicly questioning his ability, out of respect. In the meantime, Mercedes are frankly carrying a bit of a liability.

Ross Brawn's shake of the head on the prat perch when Michael failed to make it through to Q3 in Malaysia was ambiguous, in my view. Was it because he was annoyed at the supposed failure of the DRS, or was it frustration at Michael's inability to deliver once again?

Steve, in Sepang, Michael was ahead of Nico in FP1, 2, 3 & Q1. So the DRS reason is genuine. And that he finished ahead of Nico in winter testing too is perhaps a sign that he's at least capable of holding his own against Nico. Saw an article on ManipeF1 where each driver was rated for his performance at Sepang. It said Nico, despite not being held up by traffic, started losing time to Michael from mid-race. And I didn't hear Nico saying that he encountered mech gremlins in the race.

I'm still hoping against hope that #92 & later, #8 will happen. But I admit, often I think it's increasingly a chimera.

I think Michael's problem is 70% the car. He's the type of driver that can make a winner car fly, instead he's in a pretty bad car fighting in the middle of the pack with younger people in cars more or less like his. I think he would be flying in a RB7, highly motivated, always pushing the team... I don't think it's so important if Rosberg beats him, it would be important if they were driving a winner car but they aren't.

I think Michael's problem is 70% the car. He's the type of driver that can make a winner car fly, instead he's in a pretty bad car fighting in the middle of the pack with younger people in cars more or less like his. I think he would be flying in a RB7, highly motivated, always pushing the team... I don't think it's so important if Rosberg beats him, it would be important if they were driving a winner car but they aren't.

I disagree. The very fact that Michael has been beaten by Rosberg is precisely why his speed has been brought into question. And the Michael of old would not have based his effort level on the potential of the car. He would have pushed like crazy regardless. The worrying thing is, I still believe he is pushing as hard as he can; it's just that it's getting him nowhere.

wtf I thought that he actually passed away!I've been in shock for a couple of seconds! silly me

oh and I agree wITH DRIBS.

I think with age he lost a bit of fighting spirit, not a lot, but just enough to prevent him from fighting as fiercely as before in the midfield. But I think that's natural. Apart from this little nuance, I agree with Dribbler. Mercedes can't afford to keep him much longer, but while they do it is interesting to watch him.

I disagree. I think he is still the "old" Schumacher, sans the car built specifically for him. That's why I always refused to enter the Cult of him. He is a great driver, it's just that the car does not suit him. If the Ferrari car was not built around him, I doubt he would have been as successful as he was. The difference with Rosberg is that the Merc suits boy-girl's driving style much better (and Nico is a great driver, too).

I disagree. I think he is still the "old" Schumacher, sans the car built specifically for him. That's why I always refused to enter the Cult of him. He is a great driver, it's just that the car does not suit him. If the Ferrari car was not built around him, I doubt he would have been as successful as he was. The difference with Rosberg is that the Merc suits boy-girl's driving style much better (and Nico is a great driver, too).

But we have covered this one off before; Michael of old would drive the wheels off anything, irrespective of whether it had been 'designed around him' (a dubious concept anyway) or not.

But we have covered this one off before; Michael of old would drive the wheels off anything, irrespective of whether it had been 'designed around him' (a dubious concept anyway) or not.

Correct. It is a misconception that a car can be built around a driver.

He just got old and careful.

Needs to quietly exit stage left and go fishing whilst we still have fond memories.

Nothing worse than a great racer flogging around midfield race after race.

Well actually there is *one* thing worse, that's the thought of Andrea De Cesaris coming out of retirement :o

Oh and one of Adam's farts....

Even if he ends up a flop in his comeback, I'm happy he had the courage to stage a return. It's better to try & fail, rather than regret later on that you didn't give it a try. You've only one life. He's a bigger hero in my eyes for giving it another shot.

AND DRIVE INTO ANYONE !!! That's where M.S. seems to have mellowed a lot hense INMHO is why he is not further up the field :naughty: