Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

This Is So So So So F-Ing Wrong In So Many Ways

So I'm flicking though the webpages of the local paper tonight, and come across this.

In a time of graphic movies like Saw and Hostel, so many of us are de-tuned to this sort of thing. Some idiots might even find this funny, and no doubt there are already racist jokes floating around about it.

But as the father of a now 4-yo girl, still as fragile as the day she was born, this.....this makes me mad, sad, sick. Just as the images of small children being led to their deaths in the arms of their parents at a Nazi ditch in the 30's and 40's do too.

What is so wrong with this stupid world? Are we still just savage apes at heart?

So I'm flicking though the webpages of the local paper tonight, and come across this.

In a time of graphic movies like Saw and Hostel, so many of us are de-tuned to this sort of thing. Some idiots might even find this funny, and no doubt there are already racist jokes floating around about it.

But as the father of a now 4-yo girl, still as fragile as the day she was born, this.....this makes me mad, sad, sick. Just as the images of small children being led to their deaths in the arms of their parents at a Nazi ditch in the 30's and 40's do too.

What is so wrong with this stupid world? Are we still just savage apes at heart?

We as human beings are very sick, I'll reserve the word evil for now. We need healing, desperately....

I always think of a scripture when I see how unbrotherly we are, here the law of loving God is on equal footing as loving your neigbour. "And one of the scribes came and heard them arguing, and recognizing that He had answered them well, asked Him, "What commandment is the foremost of all?" Jesus answered, "The foremost is, 'Hear, O Israel! The Lord our God is one Lord; and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.' "The second is this, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these." (NAS, Mark 12:28-31). How far are we from this???

some more perspective on the scripture...

Who is my Neighbor?

We commonly think of neighbors as the people who live near us, but Jesus meant it to include all mankind - even our enemies! Jesus told His famous parable of the Good Samaritan to make it clear that "love your neighbor" means to love all persons, everywhere - not just our friends, allies, countrymen, etc.:

I couldn't watch the video. The expectation of what I was about to see sickened me to the core.

So, I must be normal. The rest of the world can go and rot.

I did'nt watch it too... don't have the stomach for it...

It sometimes makes me wonder, Brad whether watching this sort of stuff could be good in preparing one for lifes horrors. I have been on websites where this sort of stuff is shown in abundance. Reading people's comments to some truly horrific imagery is more sickening than the videos themselves. How some people can be so insensitive, marvelling a human grief is quite beyond me, and something I don't want to begin to understand.

Agree.

Funny thing, this is not a recent thing. Humans have always had a interest in violence/gore - if you've ever done any reading into Roman colosseums - the shows they put on were lavish gore fests. And were amazingly popular.

I do find it amazing that there is a culture where a film showing footage of a couple making love is deemed more likely to "corrupt and deprave" than a horror flick showing someone's head being chopped off with a chainsaw.....

That is awful.

The "bystander effect" is not a phenomenon limited to the Chinese, though, and I think it has been around long before gory movies and such. A similar (albeit less extreme/disgusting) situation has happened in lots of places, for example passers by on the street did not help a man who had been stabbed and lay dying in New York (iirc). I would not blame the media, a moral vacuum or Chinese culture, but rather basic human nature. We look to other people for clues about how to react to a situation, and most of the time this is very useful in everyday life, but in these rare circumstances if everyone else is doing nothing then people tend to think no help is needed for a victim, and so they also do nothing. In this case people probably saw others ahead walking past and so they did too (not going to watch that video, I have enough bad stuff in my head!). There's also the idea of diffusion of responsibility, where people feel that someone (i.e. the next passer by) will intervene and so feel less bad about not doing so.

My point is (and one which I don't like and neither will anybody else), we all like to think we'd help and I am sure many of us would (esp. in a situation where there is no personal danger..), but I am reluctant to condemn those who didn't because studies/historical examples show lots of people would act similarly (or perhaps to put it more accurately: in condemning those passers by we must accept the chance that we're also condemned too, as until you are in such a situation you don't know how you'd behave).

Upshot of this is perhaps an argument for the "duty to rescue" concept (where you are criminally liable for failing to intervene if you could have safely done so) to at least try and counteract this kind of thing; and of course Good Samaritan protection.

Depressing. Either God created a bunch of seriously flawed entities or Evolution doesn't result in the best of the best surviving. Choose your poison.

Depressing. Either God created a bunch of seriously flawed entities or Evolution doesn't result in the best of the best surviving. Choose your poison.

Both...we as humans

are still far away from being completely civilized, cos we have done lotsa crazy things in the name of God, money and power. It happens from the least developed nations to the most developed ones....