Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sadam

Why Is Jacques Villeneuve So Bitter About Raikkonen?!

What is key with such a driver is to listen to their instructions and do what they say, like Mclaren always did, like Ferrari didn't, and like Lotus should do if they want long-term results rather than short-term rewards that Grosjean can offer.

What is also key is what u said here....I remember when Fernando tried Kimi's setup when he joined Mclaren and discarded it because it was so difficult to drive...

In support of my view of Kimi as above, here's Andrea Stella, engineer to Alonso and former engineer of Kimi and Schumacher: "Kimi was very, very quick when the car was operating in a certain window. In this situation he can be the fastest, although when the car was not in that window, he had to work harder to find the optimal point with the car". He also has a few words about Alonso and Schumacher.

http://www.ferrari.c...e-attitude.aspx

While I wouldn't dismiss what he says, he oviously knows a thing or two, but I find it hard to accept that you are getting the whole truth when a person/engineer is involved with another driver, or indeed, to some extent, while still involved in the F1 circus. Also, saying a driver has no weak points is a sure indication of keeping your employer sweet laugh.png

It's also slightly ambiguous what he says, I think. We know every driver has a sweet spot, but some drivers cope better when not in the sweet spot than others. What I can't quite make out, is he saying when he is not in the sweet spot, Kimi tries harder than Schumi and Alonso to find the sweet spot? Or is he saying he has to work harder behind the wheel when he is not in the sweet spot? If the latter, I would have said that was true of every driver.

It's also slightly ambiguous what he says, I think. We know every driver has a sweet spot, but some drivers cope better when not in the sweet spot than others. What I can't quite make out, is he saying when he is not in the sweet spot, Kimi tries harder than Schumi and Alonso to find the sweet spot? Or is he saying he has to work harder behind the wheel when he is not in the sweet spot? If the latter, I would have said that was true of every driver.

I interpret that comment meaning that Kimi's style is fairly sensitive to the set-up of the car, and if the car is outside that optimal window, he needs to adjust his driving style more than some of the other drivers (specifically Michael and Fernando now).

I interpret that comment meaning that Kimi's style is fairly sensitive to the set-up of the car, and if the car is outside that optimal window, he needs to adjust his driving style more than some of the other drivers (specifically Michael and Fernando now).

He's a manipulative driver, actually Schumacher falls under the same catagory, very in touch with the feel for the surface of the road. Thats why he is so sensitive with the steering etc. Alonso is more of the reactory type, a modern day Prost

While I wouldn't dismiss what he says, he oviously knows a thing or two, but I find it hard to accept that you are getting the whole truth when a person/engineer is involved with another driver, or indeed, to some extent, while still involved in the F1 circus. Also, saying a driver has no weak points is a sure indication of keeping your employer sweet laugh.png

I think he's saying that Kimi suffers more than Schumi and Alonso (and no doubt some others) when a car doesn't suit his driving style. It seems to me to be about adaptability; saying yes this guy can be really quick, but you have to give him a certain type of handling before that happens. Something which is less true of Alonso and Schumi (of old). There's room for interpretation though!

You definitely have to take the quote in the context of who it came from but at least in the case of Schumi and Kimi I don't see why he would be untruthful in any way. His comment on Alonso could just be seen as covering himself but then again I wouldn't dismiss it entirely either; it's not as if Alonso isn't a very complete driver.

I think he's saying that Kimi suffers more than Schumi and Alonso (and no doubt some others) when a car doesn't suit his driving style. It seems to me to be about adaptability; saying yes this guy can be really quick, but you have to give him a certain type of handling before that happens. Something which is less true of Alonso and Schumi (of old). There's room for interpretation though!

You definitely have to take the quote in the context of who it came from but at least in the case of Schumi and Kimi I don't see why he would be untruthful in any way. His comment on Alonso could just be seen as covering himself but then again I wouldn't dismiss it entirely either; it's not as if Alonso isn't a very complete driver.

Stella is not making anyy earth shattering revelations with his comments. A pity because he hints at some comments about Schumi's style of driving but he does not go beyond that. It would have been great if they let him explain the differences in more detail. As it is, all he says is that Kimi is less adaptable than Schumi and Alonso...well, duh. The Nando arse kissing is, as Button noted, formulaic. :P is not as if in the past days Alonso has evoked any praise from guys like Kovalainen, Brawn and Horner, James Allen and Gary Anderson all of whom just want to keep their jobs as well, right? :P

On the other hand, I recall an interview with Andrea Stella after Monaco 2010 iirc, I think it is the only other interview I read with him. It was not as over the top about Nando, but I think he commented about the need of feedback and data each driver demanded from him, Schumi being at the top "he wants to know EVERYTHING about the car and track" or something like that he said about MS, with Kimi wanting to know as little as possible and Alonso somewhere in the middle. Alonso was already his boss, yet he was not as ecstatic. Good for a comparison if somebody can find it. Will try to look for it when I get home.

On the other hand, I recall an interview with Andrea Stella after Monaco 2010 iirc, I think it is the only other interview I read with him. It was not as over the top about Nando, but I think he commented about the need of feedback and data each driver demanded from him, Schumi being at the top "he wants to know EVERYTHING about the car and track" or something like that he said about MS, with Kimi wanting to know as little as possible and Alonso somewhere in the middle. Alonso was already his boss, yet he was not as ecstatic. Good for a comparison if somebody can find it. Will try to look for it when I get home.

I believe the article you are looking for is this:

http://www.sport.es/es/noticias/formula1/andrea-stella-alonso-nos-sorprendido-todos-843711

Stella is not making anyy earth shattering revelations with his comments. A pity because he hints at some comments about Schumi's style of driving but he does not go beyond that. It would have been great if they let him explain the differences in more detail. As it is, all he says is that Kimi is less adaptable than Schumi and Alonso...well, duh. The Nando arse kissing is, as Button noted, formulaic. tongue.png is not as if in the past days Alonso has evoked any praise from guys like Kovalainen, Brawn and Horner, James Allen and Gary Anderson all of whom just want to keep their jobs as well, right? tongue.png

BTW, in both interviews (2010 and this one) you will notice that Andrea somehow hints that Kimi is the fastest of the trio when it comes to raw speed, provided that the car suits his style. Again, something most people says, but is good to know when these things come from the guys that actually worked with them.

It would be great if they also asked Chris Dyer

Stella is not making anyy earth shattering revelations with his comments. A pity because he hints at some comments about Schumi's style of driving but he does not go beyond that. It would have been great if they let him explain the differences in more detail. As it is, all he says is that Kimi is less adaptable than Schumi and Alonso...well, duh. The Nando arse kissing is, as Button noted, formulaic. tongue.png is not as if in the past days Alonso has evoked any praise from guys like Kovalainen, Brawn and Horner, James Allen and Gary Anderson all of whom just want to keep their jobs as well, right? tongue.png

You have to remember that in 98.26% of all arse kissing statements, there is always an ulterior motive, my illustrious, charming, handsome friend.

You have to remember that in 98.26% of all arse kissing statements, there is always an ulterior motive, my illustrious, charming, handsome friend.

:blush: You are so right in everything you say!

Wait a minute... :eusa_think:

Anyways, I disagree. It is rather obvious that figures can't be above 97,34% and thus not 98,26%. I am no n00b, you know?

BTW, you look so young and strong! Have you been working out?

Ok, I tried to translate as much as I could, it was really confusing at some points (Andrea Stella talks a lot more than Kimi!) I just edited out the parts related to that weekend in particular or about a race engineer's life (rather trivial replies there, not worth the effort). I also couldn't help buut add some pieces of my mind here and there:

Having been Alonso's race engineer for the past 6 GPs and after a very intense pre season, which lead you to know each other a little better, what has suprised you the most about Fernando?

When he first arrived to the team I tried not to hold many expectations, although I was rather impatient to see how things would develop and the whole team has been positively impressed about his team working capacity, establish relationships with the team personnel (guess they were expecting an insufferable prima donna! :D Q.O.) and his leading personality, at the same time that he was consolidating himself as a team worker. On the other side, as a driver, without a doubt his speed as after five or six laps at Valencia we have already taken measure of his raw speed. I was also surprised by his capacity to adapt to every condition and circunstances, wringing them to the max. Another thing I would remark about him is that, as a team, we supported him and helped him on how to optimize his performance on a track or a particular corner and it is notable the capacity he has to listen to what he is being told, and then to apply it with his natural talent.

To summarize, three points: a team worker, who knows how to work with the whole scuderia, his ability to be fast under any conditions and his capacity at the plant to work along with the engineers, to listen and put those advice into practice to bgo faster.

Last year you used to work with Kimi, what are the differences besides the logical characteristics between a Finn and a Spaniard (??? wonder what did they mean with that! Q.O.)

One difference between Fernando and Kimi as a pilot is that he (Nando) has a superior adaptability speed. When there is a sudden change in race conditions or when the car is not ´perfect, Fernando can acapt or compensate much quicker. On the other hand, when the car is perfect, I must say that Kimi has a raw speed or a talent very strong. But a perfect car only comes up in 3 or 4 races during the whole season.

Are pilots too demanding with their engineers?

It is very important that a driver knows all the fundamental bits. For example, it is basic for the driver to know when he arrives to Monaco what does he need to go fast. But the level of detail for those depends on the driver. Some of them prefer to have all the details, like Schumacher and some others prefer less detail, like Kimi. Alonso would be somehwere in the middle, focus placed on the important things that should be very clear. Our job is also to know how much info to provide to each driver, as they must have enough to attain their objectives but not too much ("I don't wanna know!" as Alonso said when being told about Hamilton, anybody? :P Q.O.)

With two drivers willing to win as Alonso and Massa, is there any danger of disagreements between team personnel for each one? Is there some sort of competition?

In the ten years I've been at Ferrari I've never seen a tense situation between two drivers' teams. Perhaps among the pilots themselves, but never the team, as one of the vital requisites for my job is that we are Ferrari engineers and not of a pilot or another. Our interest lies in obtaining the maximum result for Ferrari and as a consequence, in my case it's the same as obtaining the best result for Alonso. Tthe interests are the same. I've never been in a conflict between drivers' teams.

Is Fernando a guy that always makes use of 100% of the car?

In a weekend like Barcelona I'd say yes, as he couldn't do anymore. At qualy he made a fantastic lap that placed him 4th, a place we did not expect as we thought that Merc or McLaren would be ahead. He was also perfect during the race. Anyways, this season start we all made mistakes, including Fernando, and the most important thing is for us to stop making them (so much for arse kissing because he is your boss! Q.O.)

JV couldn't hold a candle to Kimi. End of.

blush.png You are so right in everything you say!

Wait a minute... eusa_think.gif

Anyways, I disagree. It is rather obvious that figures can't be above 97,34% and thus not 98,26%. I am no n00b, you know?

BTW, you look so young and strong! Have you been working out?

It's a well known fact that 88.49% of statistics are made up on the spot, so I suspect your 97.34% is pure rubbish, my suave, debonair friend :whistling:

It's true I do exercise a muscle every night, I knew you would notice even though you wear a blindfold.

Raikkonen and Grosjean are doing well in their Lotus cars and are great drivers. Villeneuve is bitter because Raikkonen is better and a driver in demand, unlike Villeneuve.