Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ajay Fernando

Mclaren Honda Mp4-31

I bet he still claims the wins Massababy gave him as legit. At least the Schu knew he was gifted those dodgy wins and attempted to appease things by getting Rubens to the top step. Alonso's came about due to his samurai skills clearly... and the fact Massa moved over.

What about when the car was designed for him on 2011/2012? 2012 he had 2 poles and 3 wins and missed out on the title by 3 points. IMO I feel the 2014 Ferrari had a lot of troubles anyway and it affected both drivers, just alonso being there longer have him a bit more insight to the car and allowed him to do better. Look at it like this, I don't think raikkonen is over the hill if he keeps performing like he currently is. Seems like he just had a run of poor form but seems to be finding his feet again and qualifying well. When the car is hard to drive, he is of the pace and that's where alonso was better but in pure pace, still setting fastest laps today proves he still has the speed, just needs a bit more help finding it these days. Iam not denying that alonso's cars weren't built or adapted around him, but when you look at his record against past teammates and his record in general, that's why teams build themselves and the car around him.

Classical chicken and eggs ageless problem. He has achieved good results (because a car is built around his driving style), and the reason why a car is built around him is because he gets good results. It is a false statement to make then, that both cars in one team are the same.

Makes sense?

Kimi, on the other hand, seems sensitive to car handling, and if it is well setup, he is a championship material, however, 2014 car sent him into a dog house; he couldn't drive it.

Classical chicken and eggs ageless problem. He has achieved good results (because a car is built around his driving style), and the reason why a car is built around him is because he gets good results. It is a false statement to make then, that both cars in one team are the same.

Makes sense?

Kimi, on the other hand, seems sensitive to car handling, and if it is well setup, he is a championship material, however, 2014 car sent him into a dog house; he couldn't drive it.

Correct,

Also, lets take a step back to 2012, that car really was'nt the dog of the car it was said to be. The team reached a plateau with a car built around a lead driver, it went all downhill from there. Built around the emperor, fast and reliable but the impression they created that it was slow and bad and that Alfonso the emperor was creating miracles with the car

Correct,

Also, lets take a step back to 2012, that car really was'nt the dog of the car it was said to be. The team reached a plateau with a car built around a lead driver, it went all downhill from there. Built around the emperor, fast and reliable but the impression they created that is was slow and bad and that Alfonso the emperor was creating miracles with the car

I knew something fishy with him when for media benefit he used to claim he got 120% out of that car. It was a good sell, but I wasn't buying.

Yeah I hate hearing how all those Ferrari's were dogs and it was only the mighty Emporer's divine will that got him the results. The fact is those cars were all good until the 2014 one. That really wasn't very good and was the pinacle I think of having the car built around Alonso.

He's right in the sense he'd do well in a good car, but so would any driver. That's the fact of the matter. Button would be winning again, half the grid would be. It doesn't mean he's the best, it just means when a driver of a certain caliber and skill gets a great car, that can win races. Otherwise they cannot unless it's lottery rain races or lucky stragegy calls combined with safety cars.

There's only 2 drivers on the grid who are happy with their cars, and they've been the same 2 drivers whove been happy for the past 2.5 years.

wheb a team develops parts for the car over the season, be it aero improvements or whatever, sometimes the team can't build two supplies of the part immediately therefore it will go to there number one driver. Some situations i have been told about can spread the gap of one car to the next by over a few months, especially if the lead car is competitive, they will throw updates at it. The two cars will never be the same, it's impossible to do so. Maybe back in the day when testing rules were more relaxed but not today. Then you look at Mercedes, because there so dominant they have been able to spread the updates across both cars quite evenly to make them both the same and both just as hard to beat. It's the truth and do we critisise schumi for building a car and a team around him? No we don't and I recall he did a lot more "over the edge" things than alonso has done so what's with the hate and all of sudden being critisised for building a car or a team around a driver? Redbull did it to Seb, teams do this because this particular driver can give them that fraction more than a "normal" driver can. People always say it's alonso's fault in 2014 yet the management and staff had a complete shakeup in 2015, if he was the suposide "cancer" then why redo the whole team? That's money that could've been spent in the car. This means it was majority of personnel that was slacking in the job, infact the only one who was doing there job to full capacity was alonso because it was clear kimi wasn't.

wheb a team develops parts for the car over the season, be it aero improvements or whatever, sometimes the team can't build two supplies of the part immediately therefore it will go to there number one driver. Some situations i have been told about can spread the gap of one car to the next by over a few months, especially if the lead car is competitive, they will throw updates at it. The two cars will never be the same, it's impossible to do so. Maybe back in the day when testing rules were more relaxed but not today. Then you look at Mercedes, because there so dominant they have been able to spread the updates across both cars quite evenly to make them both the same and both just as hard to beat. It's the truth and do we critisise schumi for building a car and a team around him? No we don't and I recall he did a lot more "over the edge" things than alonso has done so what's with the hate and all of sudden being critisised for building a car or a team around a driver? Redbull did it to Seb, teams do this because this particular driver can give them that fraction more than a "normal" driver can. People always say it's alonso's fault in 2014 yet the management and staff had a complete shakeup in 2015, if he was the suposide "cancer" then why redo the whole team? That's money that could've been spent in the car. This means it was majority of personnel that was slacking in the job, infact the only one who was doing there job to full capacity was alonso because it was clear kimi wasn't.

Inequalities of various kinds exist between teammates, just as between competing teams for legitimate, or less legitimate reasons; we all know it, but we do not walk around and issuing inflated, arrogant and dubious statements based on beliefs only.

So any driver who thinks there faster than the rest is arrogant? Senna,schumi all arrogant? I see what you mean but when does a persons interpretation of c0cky or confidence kick in a decide the two? I think when you have a resume like alonso's it's kind of hard to argue. Different when it's someone like Maldonado who won a race and imeddiaty says he will challenge for the title, then only go on to score 3 more points for the year. People also forget, he was the only driver ever to de-thrown Michael, no other driver has done it.

So any driver who thinks there faster than the rest is arrogant? Senna,schumi all arrogant? I see what you mean but when does a persons interpretation of c0cky or confidence kick in a decide the two? I think when you have a resume like alonso's it's kind of hard to argue. Different when it's someone like Maldonado who won a race and imeddiaty says he will challenge for the title, then only go on to score 3 more points for the year. People also forget, he was the only driver ever to de-thrown Michael, no other driver has done it.

I am sorry, but I do not interpret sport the same way.

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/563835/Dennis_I_would_sue_the_FIA_over_the_new_rule/

Does anyone understand what Dennis's problem is? One can, of course, brainstorm and enumerate a bunch of pro and con factors, but I am not sure if Dennis ever explained for his demand that Honda becomes his sole engine partner. From Honda's point of view having two or three customers would offset some expenses they incurring through R&D.

I wonder if he just wants McLaren to focus on them for now. They aren't competitive, so then supplying two extra teams would stretch them more and potentially lenthen the time it takes for them to get competitive.

Dennis was quoted that he will agree with adding another Honda's client only and after McLaren won the championship. What kind of condition is that to this world class manufacturer? I think Honda made a mistake tying their fortunes with him.

Dennis on sharing Honda PU:

“Yes, we at McLaren want to be good formula one citizens, and we always have been, but altruistic behaviour of that nature must also be set against a background of fair, pragmatic and sensible business practices.

“So if you want to hear it in blunt terms, let’s get to the point where we’ve won the world championship first and then we’ll think about it,” he added.

Well, I am not sure if Dennis owns Honda, and what Honda thinks of such attitude, but surely he got away with it, in contrast to Ferrari and Mercedes. I am however not feeling sorry for Honda; they wanted to tie their fortunes with McLaren, so they got what they wished for.

What kind of condition is that to this world class manufacturer?

A condition that binds Honda, but is aimed more at Red Bull than anything else. No one wants Red Bull to have the same engine as them because it guarantees Red Bull will beat them. At least when Red Bull has someone else's engine, you have a chance of yours getting you ahead of them (not that the Honda has done so for McLaren yet).

I hate to defend Dennis because I am The One Guy Who Supports Whitmarsh® (I like Domenicali, too, but not for Ferrari—he was a bad fit for the Scuderia's culture, but someone who could've been a good leader somewhere else. Maybe American racing, actually, where the paddock vibe is different than F1's, or even the World Endurance Championship that is a little more laidback, too, but just as big a challenge as F1 with a good deal of prestige and manufacturer support. A good balance between the cold extreme of F1 and the goofy lack of professionalism in America. Of course, his role with the FIA is just fine, too.), but I sort of get it. McLaren took a big gamble. They agreed in 2013 to sacrifice their 2014 season for a power unit that, in 2015, would be new against three that had a year's running to work out reliability issues. I think they knew they were giving up a couple seasons in the short and intermediate term to try to get something in the long-run, and it was only that willingness that allowed Honda back into F1 in a meaningful way (no other top team was going to do that for them, in my opinion, and there was no sense in the investment if Honda were returning with Manor and Sauber). So, Dennis has some justification for feeling a little owed by Honda.

But as a Honda fan, I can't even care about who has what justifications. I just want them to stop sucking at every single form of four-wheel motorsport they're involved in.

Don't be so harsh on Honda, they don't have thenfacilities like Ferrari,Mercedes for example and I agree with this post, it's a along term process than a short term one.

Not much discussed subject is Honda's plan to introduce in 2017 totally new engine design (clean sheet). This might not be a such big deal, but it confirms what has been suspected all along (and denied by a few), how damaging to competitiveness some of the existing regulations are. Not only Honda, but Renault as well, and had they were permitted to take on corrections already last year, we would see today perhaps totally different picture on the grid, and Mercedes boys working little harder for their money. Mercedes's victories forever in my book will be marred with the process that got them there.

Yep totally and the lack of consistant competition due to regulations

I believe Honda will do as they please and Dennis will have to swallow. Rumour was rife in the pit lane at the weekend that Button had a two-year deal in his pocket that included a customer engine for Williams from 2018 on. I'm not sure that is too far from the truth. As long as RBR don't get a Honda customer lump I am sure Dennis can be placated.

Yay if Button goes to Williams. Finally! Massa said very recently he wasn't so sure he'd be at Williams next year either.

I see Mag and Palmer in trouble for their seats. GRO is oddly looking at Nascar. The Sauber drivers will be replaced at some point. Kvyat is still moaning, which is a death sentence. Clearly the guy hasn't heard about not criticizing ones employer. As usual the Kimster is always being replaced, always. Alonso might as well head to Ibiza and lay on the beach. Perez seems to be doing ok. The Hulk is the on par. He'll never get a top drive either. And I think by now it's clear why. He's the modern day Quick Nick!

Yeah he seems to be heading that way doesn't he? I mean Perez has what? 3/4 podiums to his none now since they have been teammates. Yeah, his stock has defaulted massively hasn't it? Still shows the odd bit of speed like we saw at Monaco in qually but he's never consistent enough come race day. Correct me if Ian wrong but doesn't he hold the record now for most races contested without a podium?

Yay if Button goes to Williams. Finally! Massa said very recently he wasn't so sure he'd be at Williams next year either.

I see Mag and Palmer in trouble for their seats. GRO is oddly looking at Nascar. The Sauber drivers will be replaced at some point. Kvyat is still moaning, which is a death sentence. Clearly the guy hasn't heard about not criticizing ones employer. As usual the Kimster is always being replaced, always. Alonso might as well head to Ibiza and lay on the beach. Perez seems to be doing ok. The Hulk is the on par. He'll never get a top drive either. And I think by now it's clear why. He's the modern day Quick Nick!

Doornbos told DR to cool down as well along those lines.