Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

raikkonen_rulez

What Type Of Fuel?

You know the fuel in your road car.... Nothing like that! :D

E10

E22

E85

E100

Which type of fuel do formula 1 cars use? This is just out of curiosity.

nowadays it mainly contains nitro methane,as far as i know!

You know the fuel in your road car.... Nothing like that! :D

Actually you are wrong. F1 cars use fuels very similar to commercial fuel available at pumps. One of the chief features of F1 fuel is that it has to be unleaded with a very low sulphur content - in deference to the environment. F1 cars in previous times have used special fuels, but now they use fuels which have to pass EEC regulations and which are very similar to commercial fuels.

:D Yeah the toxic blends of the past are gone forever.

R.I.P jungle juice!! I remember hearing a story about fuel in the Turbo era, does anyone know what sort of fuel that was?

Actually you are wrong. F1 cars use fuels very similar to commercial fuel available at pumps. One of the chief features of F1 fuel is that it has to be unleaded with a very low sulphur content - in deference to the environment. F1 cars in previous times have used special fuels, but now they use fuels which have to pass EEC regulations and which are very similar to commercial fuels.

Apart from the fact both are unleaded there are very few other similarities between the two.

You obviously have never been to an F1 race! When the cars come past on lap 1 you almost get high from the potent fumes.

Apart from the fact both are unleaded there are very few other similarities between the two.

You obviously have never been to an F1 race! When the cars come past on lap 1 you almost get high from the potent fumes.

...and then u get used to it lap after lap...

i think i am indeed correct above when i mentioned that they use nitro methane(had that confirmed from a friend today(he works for castrol)

...and then u get used to it lap after lap...

i think i am indeed correct above when i mentioned that they use nitro methane(had that confirmed from a friend today(he works for castrol)

I think you are indeed.

R.I.P jungle juice!! I remember hearing a story about fuel in the Turbo era, does anyone know what sort of fuel that was?

Exotic blends... They used to mix in the active chemicals found in explosives, like nitro glycerine and so on. It was really dangerous of course so they got rid of them. As was said above, F1 fuel is very similar to commercially available fuels but contains more octane and less sulfur, carbon, etc.

Here is the details about F1 fuel (from formula1.com)

Surprising but true, despite the vast amounts of technical effort spent developing a Formula One car, the fuel it runs on is surprisingly close to the composition of ordinary, commercially available petrol.

It was not always so. Early Grand Prix cars ran on a fierce mixture of powerful chemicals and additives, often featuring large quantities of benzene, alcohol and aviation fuel. Indeed some early fuels were so potent that the car's engine had to be disassembled and washed in ordinary petrol at the end of the race to prevent the mixture from corroding it!

Over the years more and more regulations have been introduced regarding the composition of fuel, a move driven in part by the oil companies' desire to have demonstrable links between race and road fuel.

The modern fuel is only allowed tiny quantities of 'non hydrocarbon' compounds, effectively banning the most volatile power-boosting additives. Each fuel blend must be submitted to the sport

Please read JJosephs post above. You made a mistake, there is nothing wrong in admitting it, instead of trying to defend the indefensible

F1 fule is 98% identical to what you get at the pump, i remeber that from the german pre-race shows, they did a short documantry on fule