Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wez

Interview With A Hacker

Here is an interesting interview with one of the top hackers around.

This guy, Gary McKinnon hacked into NASA, the Army, the Navy, the Air Force & the Department of Defense.

He has since been caught but actually seems like a 'good' guy with a good cause.

Read on...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/clic...ine/4977134.stm

Here's another link to a site with petitions to save the guy... If you feel the need, help out a fellow geek here...

http://freegary.org.uk/

I only heard about him recently, but there is tons of stuff about him on the net.

Hackers should die, same with a-holes that write virus's

I hate anyone who writes viruses and distributes spam, but this guy is sa hero in my eyes ;)

I wish you wouldn't sit on the fence on these sort of issues, Bruce!! :lol:

What I find interesting, and I don't know if it's just cynicism creeping in, is that he was able to hack into all these different computer systems and not able to download any evidence whatsoever, apparently.

Here's another interesting interview...

It shows what a mockery the American defense sectors are, hows this quote by him:

"Unfortunately for them, the local system administrator's password was blank. So you don't even need to become the domain administrator. That's 5,000 machines all with a blank system level administrator password."

The Americans always get paranoid when something bad happens... After WW2, the cold war happened and the US goverment though every second person was a comunist, now since 9/11 they think everyone is a terrorist.

I mean this poor guy was having a bit of fun, its not his fault the IT administrators of NASA, the Army, the Navy, the Air Force & the Department of Defense are idiots!

I wish you wouldn't sit on the fence on these sort of issues, Bruce!! :lol:

What I find interesting, and I don't know if it's just cynicism creeping in, is that he was able to hack into all these different computer systems and not able to download any evidence whatsoever, apparently.

Because there is no evidence.........................

Amazingly, I actually agree with Bruce on this one. Next thing you know, I'll be a member of the NRA!

Is the heavy hand of the mods again! They are brainwashing us!

The man who reaally should be locked up for years is a Canadian who invented SPAM emails. Canada has alot to answer for in my opinion.

Indeed....i could provide some firepower to put those a-holes to the eternal rest. ;)

The man who reaally should be locked up for years is a Canadian who invented SPAM emails. Canada has alot to answer for in my opinion.

Yeah, thats exactly what I say... someone who releases spam and malicious programs to do damage needs to get f**ked up.

BUT someone who hacks into Nasa and the pentagon because he can is not a risk to society.

The guys trying to bring this guy down are embarrassed that they have been made to look like fools and/or just looking for a scapegoat.

England should tell America to Fcuk off and sentence the guy in England.

How can someone get 70 years in prison for hacking into Nasa? Thats ridiculous!

How can someone get 70 years in prison for hacking into Nasa? Thats ridiculous!

They should give him 10MIO USD reward for telling them that their program sucks :D

Serious...he deserves to be in jail, but 60 years??? that is a little too much...5-10 would be more than enough.

I really dont understand why the English government doesnt hire him. There have been many cases where a hacker has managed to get into sensitive government files and then been caught and then offered a job so they can help and stop futher hacking attempts by showing the methods they used to get into the system in the first place.

I really dont understand why the English government doesnt hire him. There have been many cases where a hacker has managed to get into sensitive government files and then been caught and then offered a job so they can help and stop futher hacking attempts by showing the methods they used to get into the system in the first place.

There were similar teams of hackers recruited by corporations in USA to test their security measures. Were called Tiger teams. Some of their stories are legendary amongst hackers.

Thats a bit silly, there are good hackers out there. I don't really remember the whole colours they had, but from memory there were 3 or 4 types, and White hat hackers were good, who find vunrbilities in software and then warn the developers to it, to stop the bad hackers from getting through it first.

Thats a bit silly, there are good hackers out there. I don't really remember the whole colours they had, but from memory there were 3 or 4 types, and White hat hackers were good, who find vunrbilities in software and then warn the developers to it, to stop the bad hackers from getting through it first.

Is it like Dungeons and Dragon players have moved on into the real world or something?? :lol:

See i don't see why hackers should be punished? as long as he comes clean tells the method he used he should be given a max of 1 -2 years. If he steals data and passed it on then obviously for more but otherwise he just made the government look stupid and is behind bars??

It is like the guy who created a website to print fake boarding pass which can go through US security and even clicked a picture of a smuggled swiss army knife in the plane

He did it to show how the system is soo crap and was arrested

I'm sorry, Wez, but I see a guy who set out to deliberately break into government computers and steal information stored there. He then exposes, to everyone, how he did this. In my view, this so-called noble cause can now endanger quite a few people's lives. I think he got the sentence he deserved. I'm only glad all he got from the experience is the nutball idea that aliens exist. His motives were relatively harmless until he disclosed how he did it.

I'm with you 100% on Alonso, but I'm gonna have to side with Bruce on this one.

I'm sorry, Wez, but I see a guy who set out to deliberately break into government computers and steal information stored there. He then exposes, to everyone, how he did this. In my view, this so-called noble cause can now endanger quite a few people's lives. I think he got the sentence he deserved. I'm only glad all he got from the experience is the nutball idea that aliens exist. His motives were relatively harmless until he disclosed how he did it.

See Mike he could sell the info for millions, but instead he came out, he is trying to tell the department that they need a better security system than they currently have or other countries could/would hack and steal/delete confidential data

Exactly... Theres always going to be bad hackers out there, so its important to have good ones to find the loopholes first so the people know what they need to fix!

haha, thx... i understand :unsure:

Exactly... Theres always going to be bad hackers out there, so its important to have good ones to find the loopholes first so the people know what they need to fix!

Yes, This guy has indirectly done the US defense departments a huge favor. Like he said, while he was hacking into the systems he often noticed other hackers in the system at the same time. He has brought this to their attention and hopefully for they defense sectors they will now fix the loopholes in their systems.

I wouldn't be surprised if the US government offered him a job, like Ykick says its happened on several occasions in the past with hackers & the same thing happened in the movie "Catch me if you can" which was based on a true story.

Instead of putting the poor guy in the slammer,the US govt would do very well to give him a 2nd chance in life by hiring him. That's a win-win solution.

Instead of putting the poor guy in the slammer,the US govt would do very well to give him a 2nd chance in life by hiring him. That's a win-win solution.

Well, lets remember... he did get caught!