Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quiet One

My New Blog

There is a way to do that...

Firstly: Get an application called Lavalys Everest Ultimate Edition

Secondly: Get a copy of Prime 95

Open Everest, and go to Computer > Sensor and keep that page open with your temperatures

Then open Prime 95 go to options, and start a blended torture test, which will test the stability of your Ram and CPU. Keep an eye on everest\'s temperature charts, then let me know what the highest CPU temperature you see is.

And yes, it is an 8600 GT. For the record are you using a Laptop or a Desktop? Laptops can freeze due to overheating but it shouldn\'t happen to a desktop PC unless you have a dodgy component

All the programs I saw for monitoring the CPU temp are only useful if I am not running a full screen graphics application like a game. Couldn't find one that lets me monitor the temp while running a game. And my computer only crashes when running games like Bioshock or the FlighSim.

The CPU was checked twice at two different technical stores. They kept both games running for a whole night without any troubles. Of course, they have rooms with air conditioning :lol:

Everything points at some kind of overheating freeze. I must confess I haven't tried to run the FlightSim again in a while. I might as well give it another shot.

Did they definitely run a game something overnight? :lol:

Enabling speedstep in this instance won't make a blind bit of difference - the processor speed ramps up as you call upon it to do more work and running a fairly intensive game would cause it to do that anyway. The only slight difference would be that if the CPU temp was a bit colder before you started playing the game, then the actual game may last a a little longer, but it wouldn't solve the problem.

Although the more modern processors are designed to run slightly cooler than say the pentium 4, for example, they still need sufficient cooling. Also a modern system tends to need more case cooling than years gone by as there are other things contributing to internal case temp - graphic cards exhaust more heat into the case, hard drives run hotter, etc, etc.

Going on the theory that you are right about it being a heat issue and it is a reasonable path to take at this point, then there are a couple of things you can do to alleviate the problem, though they may not eradicate it completely, due to the temp in your house. As you said, new cpu cooler would probably help, especially if you are using the stock cooler as there are some much more efficient ones available. Put some fans in your case, if you have the option, or maybe a new case seems as this is an ongoing problem for you. Giving the inside of your pc a bit of a spring clean may also help, depending on how old & how dusty it is! :lol:

Glad to be flying again, hope you don't mind but I stowed shane in the luggage hold. :naughty:

Glad to be flying again, hope you don't mind but I stowed shane in the luggage hold. :naughty:

That'll be one bunch of p!ssed off suit cases.

:lol:

Andres, can't MS FSX work again, like last time??

I didn't dare to reinstall MSFSX yet. But I will probably give it another try! The problem with FSX and Xplane is that both take huge amounts of space on a HDD and a lot of patience to find the different sceneries and planes used in our flights. To give you an idea: Xplane takes 70Gb of hard disk space, and that without adding any airport buildings or extra planes!

Anyways, somehow we managed to arrive at Johannesburg! :D

I didn't dare to reinstall MSFSX yet. But I will probably give it another try! The problem with FSX and Xplane is that both take huge amounts of space on a HDD and a lot of patience to find the different sceneries and planes used in our flights. To give you an idea: Xplane takes 70Gb of hard disk space, and that without adding any airport buildings or extra planes!

Anyways, somehow we managed to arrive at Johannesburg! :D

A smile as he saw us coming through the door you say? I think poetic licence is going a tad too far now! :lol:

A smile as he saw us coming through the door you say? I think poetic licence is going a tad too far now! :lol:

Well I found later that he wasn't actually smiling at us, he was oggling the stewardesses from another plane...oh, well!