Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oli

Honda Rescued!

I do wish newspapers would check their sources before they give false hope to people who are about to lose their jobs. I must have been a miserable Xmas for most of Honda's Brackley work force and this Carlos Slim story is clearly without substance. Lets hope some other options come to fruition for the beleaguered squad.

I do hope so.

It amazes me how these stories come out and ultimately have no substance to them.

It was part of my life for so long that nothing amazes me with regard to the press anymore. The Telegraph or the Times wouldn' t have gone with a story like that without having at least, two independently confirmed sources. The Italian press are a law unto themselves.

It was part of my life for so long that nothing amazes me with regard to the press anymore. The Telegraph or the Times wouldn' t have gone with a story like that without having at least, two independently confirmed sources. The Italian press are a law unto themselves.

Yes. And they're not the worst. :rolleyes:

I can confirm it's true.

Your good for nothing spam Prophecy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Telmex Racing team owned by Carlos Slim has denied reports that the Mexican billionaire is set to buy Honda

Ross Brawn told Telegraph Sport on Sunday that, while talks are ongoing with "a number of interested parties," speculation concerning the Mexican billionaire is wide of the mark.

"We would love it if it were true," Brawn said, "but it's pure speculation from various members of the media. It's just been one of those rumours which has developed a life of its own."

However, Brawn stressed that discussions were ongoing with a number of other parties and stressed that the team, who have continued to develop their 2009 car, were still an attractive proposition to potential investors.

"There has been a huge amount of interest," Brawn said. "It's now got to the stage where we need to filter out the serious from the not so serious. We're all hopeful that something will happen and we're anxious to turn up the wick again in the new year."

Time, though, is of the essence. Brackley's 700-odd staff are serving their statutory 90-day notice period. Brawn, though, insisted that the team could limp through to the season opener in Melbourne on March 29.

Good. A bona fide report, at last. Reading Ross's remarks, one might be forgiven for thinking there are no rock-solid players involved at this stage at all, just a lot of 'feelers and touchers'. They will need more than that to 'limp' to the grid in Melbourne, as Brawn put it. I believe that what we might see is a completely independant team, sponsored by various interested parties, a buy drive second seat for Senna and operating on a miniscule budget with a third-party engine/drivetrain package. The time window is closing fast.

Is anyone else thinking that this isn't going to happen?. Surely, any potential purchaser realises that time is of the essence. What's the delay? The longer it goes on the less viable a propsosition the team becomes because of them falling behind with development. What's the latest on the engine supply situation? Will the new car have to undergo a complete redesign to accomodate a new engine? If so, any hard work done over the winter will be a complete waste of time. It seems to me that it has become desperate days.

Is anyone else thinking that this isn't going to happen?. Surely, any potential purchaser realises that time is of the essence. What's the delay? The longer it goes on the less viable a propsosition the team becomes because of them falling behind with development. What's the latest on the engine supply situation? Will the new car have to undergo a complete redesign to accomodate a new engine? If so, any hard work done over the winter will be a complete waste of time. It seems to me that it has become desperate days.

Of course, you are right. Brawn did say that development work has continued uninterrupted but I am reliably informed that there are no Honda engines available, nor will there be. I am sure Ross has made contingencies for that since Honda bailed but it a major step back, for sure.

Of course, you are right. Brawn did say that development work has continued uninterrupted but I am reliably informed that there are no Honda engines available, nor will there be. I am sure Ross has made contingencies for that since Honda bailed but it a major step back, for sure.

Indeed, its just so disheartening - I just wish they would get on with it.

They will find a partner, it will be along the lines of a management buyout - Brawn & Fry see this as an ideal opportunity to acquire a team for themselves, they will have investors/sponsors/partners to suit their plans. They will be on the grid in Melbourne with everything they need in place for the year.

It's OK to quote me on that.

Your Stephness, don't be disheartened. ;)

Where would the engine come from then.

If we are talking Cosworth as before then would they come in a year early.

The Cosworth is to be introduced for the 2010 season (as far as I understand).

The common belief is that Ross's good relationship with Ferrari would make them the natural choice. Earlier reports quoted Ross as saying the team were already assessing the changes necessary for the change of engine, so obviously not a good situation, but not impossible yet.

[quote name='dribbler' post='279623' date='Dec 29 2008, 09:49 AM']Is anyone else thinking that this isn't going to happen?. Surely, any potential purchaser realises that time is of the essence. What's the delay? The longer it goes on the less viable a propsosition the team becomes because of them falling behind with development. What's the latest on the engine supply situation? Will the new car have to undergo a complete redesign to accomodate a new engine? If so, any hard work done over the winter will be a complete waste of time. It seems to me that it has become desperate days.[/quote]
Yes, well said. Even if they survive in some form, it looks depressingly grim for them. We saw with STR last year that 'independent' teams can do well sometimes, so there's always hope for them but I'm not optimistic. They have no track record of success despite the backing of a huge car company.

The Cosworth is to be introduced for the 2010 season (as far as I understand).

The common belief is that Ross's good relationship with Ferrari would make them the natural choice. Earlier reports quoted Ross as saying the team were already assessing the changes necessary for the change of engine, so obviously not a good situation, but not impossible yet.

Not impossible, no. I mentioned Cosworth as an option for 2010 if they had engines over from last year. They clearly don't so I think BMW. Ferrari could be an option but they already have a customer in STR. BMW don't and would certainly like the link up with Brawn I think.

I don't doubt for a minute that is correct and forgive me for just throwing ideas in here but didn't BMW quit Williams to go on their own and if so, would they be willing to get involved with the politics of another team.

Not impossible, no. I mentioned Cosworth as an option for 2010 if they had engines over from last year. They clearly don't so I think BMW. Ferrari could be an option but they already have a customer in STR. BMW don't and would certainly like the link up with Brawn I think.
Ferrari does make sense so let's hope a deal is reached.

I'd prefer them to have BMW Sid - seems they've got one of the very best reliablity/power combinations so far.

The only reason I thought Ferrari would be keen to go is the capacity - they were ready to supply FIF1 (don't they ever think how daft a name can be? Fifi :lol: ) as well as STR.

Unless..... they give the tub dimensions to each manufacturer and ask if they've got anything that'll fit :lol: Come on Muzza, there's your intro :P

:lol: Standardised tub dimensions for everyone would solve this problem and keep teams in business. I've said it once and a thousand times.

I don't doubt for a minute that is correct and forgive me for just throwing ideas in here but didn't BMW quit Williams to go on their own and if so, would they be willing to get involved with the politics of another team.

Nothing to forgive - this is a forum isn't it? The Williams thing was pre-FOMA and FIA accord - BMW need the income like anyone else out there. That's my thinking. Ross may prefer to have a Ferrari lump as it's a familiar package - who knows?

And one more thing................if Brawn and Fry don't get their finger out they'll have to use a lawnmower. It takes time to make engines.

I was beginning to think that.

He said they can limp on to Melbourne so let's hope before then a buyer is found.

In fact I doubt there is an economic crisis and people must be queuing up to buy them. I've seen the shops today.

He said they can limp on to Melbourne so let's hope before then a buyer is found.

Without a buyer, how do you secure an engine deal, then redesign your car and make it competitive enough to be on the grid in three months from now? I must be missing something.

Without a buyer, how do you secure an engine deal, then redesign your car and make it competitive enough to be on the grid in three months from now? I must be missing something.

A couple of crates 'n some pitza's for the lads, sketches on a pad, an all-nighter, t45 tubing, chalk marks on the floor, black coffee, aircraft spec aluminium sheets all over the shop, rivet gun, epoxy resin........... Oh. Sorry. Wrong era. ;)

I don't think they'll be after competitive, more like a taster of what's possible.

I really do live in hope. It's messy, but she's fine with that. :lol:

Indeed

They will find a partner, it will be along the lines of a management buyout - Brawn & Fry see this as an ideal opportunity to acquire a team for themselves, they will have investors/sponsors/partners to suit their plans. They will be on the grid in Melbourne with everything they need in place for the year.

It's OK to quote me on that.

Your Stephness, don't be disheartened. ;)

I hope you're right Meds -_-