Oli

Honda Rescued!

628 posts in this topic

Mexican billionaire rescues Honda F1 team - report

Sat 27 Dec, 08:07 PM

ROME (AFP) - Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim, the world's second richest man, has rescued the Honda Formula One team, Italian newspaper La Stampa reported on Saturday.

"The saviour has arrived: Carlos Slim, 67 years old, the second richest man in the world," said the newspaper.

"The news is not official as all the details have yet to be formalised. But two things are certain - the team has been saved and the drivers will be Jenson Button and rookie Bruno Senna in place of Rubens Barrichello."

Honda, believed to have an annual racing budget of around 400 million dollars, announced earlier this month that they were pulling out of Formula One as a result of the global financial meltdown.

La Stampa, which did not identify the source of its story, added that Bruno Senna, the nephew of former triple world champion Ayrton Senna, is sponsored by Embratel, part of Slim's Telmex group.

Honda first competed in F1 in 1964 and clocked up three Grand Prix wins, including Jenson Button's in Hungary in 2006.

Its engines were also been behind dozens of victories by stars such as Nelson Piquet, Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost.

The team finished ninth in the constructors championship this season with 14 points.

Veteran driver Barrichello achieved the team's best result with a third-place finish at Silverstone.

Honda Motor also supplied engines and other technical support to Formula One team Super Aguri, which called it quits due to financial problems in May.

Motorsport in Japan had been particularly hit by the recession with Subaru and Suzuki pulling out of the world rally championship.

-------------------------------------------------------

No idea whether this is true or not, but it sounds promising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That would be excellent news if true, but it seems there is genuine interest for the team by more buyers so one way or the other we might have a decent grid next year!

The "Slim Team"...

Sounds like a cool place to work at :D !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Slim pickings down at Honda?

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Surely wouldn't they be called Slim Fast? :D

(no place for Montoya in that team) :)

Nor for Barrichello, it seems. He's got a bit porky lately, knocking on for 75kg which is not good for a man of 5' 6", especially in an F1 car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mexican billionaire rescues Honda F1 team - report

Sat 27 Dec, 08:07 PM

ROME (AFP) - Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim, the world's second richest man, has rescued the Honda Formula One team, Italian newspaper La Stampa reported on Saturday.

"The saviour has arrived: Carlos Slim, 67 years old, the second richest man in the world," said the newspaper.

"The news is not official as all the details have yet to be formalised. But two things are certain - the team has been saved and the drivers will be Jenson Button and rookie Bruno Senna in place of Rubens Barrichello."

Honda, believed to have an annual racing budget of around 400 million dollars, announced earlier this month that they were pulling out of Formula One as a result of the global financial meltdown.

La Stampa, which did not identify the source of its story, added that Bruno Senna, the nephew of former triple world champion Ayrton Senna, is sponsored by Embratel, part of Slim's Telmex group.

Honda first competed in F1 in 1964 and clocked up three Grand Prix wins, including Jenson Button's in Hungary in 2006.

Its engines were also been behind dozens of victories by stars such as Nelson Piquet, Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost.

The team finished ninth in the constructors championship this season with 14 points.

Veteran driver Barrichello achieved the team's best result with a third-place finish at Silverstone.

Honda Motor also supplied engines and other technical support to Formula One team Super Aguri, which called it quits due to financial problems in May.

Motorsport in Japan had been particularly hit by the recession with Subaru and Suzuki pulling out of the world rally championship.

-------------------------------------------------------

No idea whether this is true or not, but it sounds promising.

La Stampa is not trash press but with no source quoted, I doubt this is a done deal yet. I still hear Hyundai are very hot but I guess it's first come, first served.

Edited by Insider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
La Stampa is not trash press but with no source quoted, I doubt this is a done deal yet. I still hear Hyundai are very hot but I guess it's first come, first served.

I should expand on this. La Stampa, ['The Press' in English] is the most widely read daily newspaper in Italy. Also, it is owned by the FIAT group and it's editor is, reputedly a good friend of Ross Brawn. Is it possible ................?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It is being reported by the BBC as a more or less done deal.

I think it must be true.

I agree the reports are becoming more widespread but I would still err on the side of caution. Slim sponsored a Nascar race in Mexico three years ago which was hardly a success. I know he was talking to the team at the end of last season about a Telmex sponsorship, conditional on Senna getting a ride. If he going for the whole nine yards, then great. Even better if JB is retained. If it's true, Fry will be talking tomorrow, no doubt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I wonder what the name of the team will be in 2009, Force Mexico??

Team Telmex Formula One?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Team Telmex Formula One?
Maybe Telmex Force Mexico Formula One Team? Telmex can be the main sponsor! Now, who's gonna give him the engine?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Maybe Telmex Force Mexico Formula One Team? Telmex can be the main sponsor! Now, who's gonna give him the engine?

How about Delta Force Mexico Team Telmex? There may be Honda lumps in the storeroom that fit the new chassis - who knows? I would have thought if Ross has to go shopping and the rumours about a $300m budget are true, he may go to BMW as opposed to Cosworth. BMW need help with KERS and the word is that Ross has nailed it.

Edited by Insider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Is it likely Cosworth would come back to F1.

For my money, it would have to be BMW or Renault.

I don't know where you've been, my friend but Cosworth won the FIA engine tender. In addition, Mecachrome who prepare Renault's lumps are in administration but still operational under Canadian Chapter 11 protection. I doubt Ross would take a chance on them. It also depends on what other teams are using too. Red Bull may go back to Ferrari or take the tender lump. The only greally good news is that there have been no denials from Senor Slim or Brackley today. We wait and see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My bad.

I had totally forgotten, or even not known that.

Apologies.

Well, its irrelevant because AFP have just reported that an anonymous member of Carlos Slim's staff has denied that he is buying Honda or even negotiating with them. I did suggest that everyone err on the side of caution. I still feel there are other moves taking place behind the scenes that will bear fruit for the Brackley outfit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now