Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Medilloni

Obama's Inauguration

Well, it's history in the making for our American friends today, so, whoever you voted for guys 'n gals, I hope he's a great President for you.

I'm interested to hear how you think he's going to do........... whether you think he's the right guy to have in the present financial situation, whether he'll have radical reforms, how he'll deal with Iraq etc etc.

Oli, Bruce, Mike, AR5 and the rest of the gang, what do you reckon?

Because, above all, he's a politician.

Indeed Monza!

Tbh, that's one of the reasons why I'd like to hear from the guys over the pond, our press is so sh1te it's hard to get a reliable/accurate impression - but I think because he's the first black president a lot more is expected of him than previous presidents.

I am watching his speech as I type this.

At least he speaks English unlike Bush, that is a start. I hope he is a good President for America, and I hope he is a good President for everybody else, too.

I give it six months before a wheel falls off.

I think you are being a bit generous, myself.

Indeed Monza!

Tbh, that's one of the reasons why I'd like to hear from the guys over the pond, our press is so sh1te it's hard to get a reliable/accurate impression - but I think because he's the first black president a lot more is expected of him than previous presidents.

Yeah, like Russell says, he'll have to be exceptionally good if he doesn't want folk to be disappointed given the expectations. His predecessor left a right mess for him: a terrible recession, awful public finances, fragile gains in Iraq, a worsening Afghanistan, a peace process killed in Gaza and America's standing at a low point. Maybe his biggest advantage is that he has a good chance of convincing everyone that when things inevitably go wrong it must be to do with something Bush did.

I am watching his speech as I type this.

Any good? I might watch it later. He's a great orator.

Yeah, like Russell says, he'll have to be exceptionally good if he doesn't want folk to be disappointed given the expectations. His predecessor left a right mess for him: a terrible recession, awful public finances, fragile gains in Iraq, a worsening Afghanistan, a peace process killed in Gaza and America's standing at a low point. Maybe his biggest advantage is that he has a good chance of convincing everyone that when things inevitably go wrong it must be to do with something Bush did.

Any good? I might watch it later. He's a great orator.

It was pretty good as far as someone talking goes. Powerful stuff.

I switched on the radio this morning and the first words I heard were "former president George Bush" which was fantastic.

My feeling is that Obama can't possibly live up to his hype, but that everybody I know is hopeful he will at least steady the sinking ship in his first couple of years. In general most of the media commentators I have heard think that his honeymoon period will be a lot longer than previous presidents, since it's hard to think of a time in history where a new president has inherited a worse situation, but after that everybody is going to expect a return on the risk (that of electing someone relatively inexperienced in a time of crisis).

But in general at the moment I don't think it matters. Right now everybody is just glad to see the back of GW. Even the most strident right-wingers have their hatred of Obama slightly tempered by a relief that George Bush has gone, because it's their belief that it's a chance for the Republican party to rebuild its image and have some credibility again. Let's hope they don't go the way of the Tories.

And of course all the liberal commie lefties like me think it's wonderful.

I wish him well, and it was time for change, as somebody said recently..... But the weight of expectation may be too great, and the disappointments not too distant.

One thing I've always liked about the American people is their can-do and supportive attitude. No offence to Monza (as I think he is a really great bloke) but thats a typical british trait, not in the job for a day and we're already writing him off.

I wish him and his family well and hope that he can provide the US with honesty and integrity. Now wouldn't that be a refreshing change!

(Just to make up for my brit-bashing - I have to say our friends over the water really like their conspiracies though!) :P

It was pretty good as far as someone talking goes. Powerful stuff.

Great. But you're right: next time he should rap it. Dude's gotta spit some Inaugural rhymes and get the Cristal flowing.

And of course all the liberal commie lefties like me think it's wonderful.

:lol: Wonder why he doesn't dampen expectations as best he can? Maybe he's trying.

I wish him well, and it was time for change, as somebody said recently..... But the weight of expectation may be too great, and the disappointments not too distant.

Yeah.

One thing I've always liked about the American people is their can-do and supportive attitude. No offence to Monza (as I think he is a really great bloke) but thats a typical british trait, not in the job for a day and we're already writing him off.

Yes I like that about him. It's a good attitude they all have. One article I read on Sunday said Obama was most like a moderate Tory.

Best of luck, but realize he won't get re-elected in 2012. That would have gone for McCain as well.

I wouldn't have voted for him if I was able to get to the polling place.

In other news, Ted Kennedy collapses at luncheon today.

Great. But you're right: next time he should rap it. Dude's gotta spit some Inaugural rhymes and get the Cristal flowing.

:lol:

I would have enjoyed that much more, I might make him do it again.

Best of luck, but realize he won't get re-elected in 2012. That would have gone for McCain as well.

That depends so much on who runs against him. I thought the Democrats would have a good shot in '04 but then along comes John Kerry, the world's most unlikeable man.

From a comic strip in an Argentinian newspaper:

One bystander to another: "I think people has put too many expectations on Obama"

Meanwhile, the following dialogue takes place between two guys in front of the bystanders:

Guy #1: So many bullet-resistance glass was used during Obama's Inauguration!

Guy#2: What for?

Guy#1: To prevent any terrorist attacks.

Guy#2: What? You mean he is not bulletproof?

From a comic strip in an Argentinian newspaper:

One bystander to another: "I think people has put too many expectations on Obama"

Meanwhile, the following dialogue takes place between two guys in front of the bystanders:

Guy #1: So many bullet-resistance glass was used during Obama's Inauguration!

Guy#2: What for?

Guy#1: To prevent any terrorist attacks.

Guy#2: What? You mean he is not bulletproof?

:lol:

But he's already accomplished more in his 1st day than Bush in his 2 terms in office.

At least he speaks English unlike Bush, that is a start.

Did he do two speeches? The one I heard (part of) definitely wasn't in any kind of English I've ever heard. It sounded much more like the strange English/German-variant known as "wankspiel" to me.

Is anyone else reminded of Hitler?