Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Massa

Grand Prix Du Canada

It is raining hard in Montreal right now and the morning practice will be on the wet for sure.

And probably a wet quali too, and they say it always rains in Britain :rolleyes: I just hope if it rains like it did the other year we get lots of footage of men with brushes becasue they were so effective in clearing the standing water NOT!!

JV was good, I followed him in CART and he was awesome then.

He just made a huge mistake in staying too long at BAR/Honda (oh and releasing an album).....

Just awful seeing him trudging round mid pack in a crappy car - just like Schui in the Merc sad.png You have to know when to say: "enough"

When JV went to BAR I believe he was sold a dream by Craig Pollock his managed, friend and mentor in many ways. Why he stayed so long I have no clue, but you can't question his loyalty to them I suppose. He's driving a Ferrari now in the French GP championship I believe.

So Maldonado/Grosjean in "the champion's wall" within 3 laps then? smile.png

Oh please, 3 laps, that's so unfair........... I was thinking maybe 2 ;)

The great thing about rain: it would negate the exaggerated DRS plan (two zones, one detection). It might also be a way to alleviate excessive tire wear without eliminating strategy, too. Everyone will be happy!

This race needs no fake boobs to look hot.

Great analogy. :thbup:

lovely stuff Eric...

I really apprecate your inputs and the effort you put into it... even though we're on different spectrums like rating Monaco and now Villeneuve... anyway, fans will always like different aspect of this lovely sport...

Indeed, that's the fun of it.

We were on different spectrums about Vettel once, too. You won that one. tongue.png

Fingers crossed that this race will display the side of Perez that mainly Jean-Pierre and I see in him to all of you.

Hey! I follow his dog on Twitter! tongue.png

(No, really, I do. So embarrassing. I follow his dog, his brother, his sister, and his father. But not him. Never a driver. I don't follow drivers).

(A helpful elaboration: his brother, sister, and father are all TV commentators for F1 in the U.S. on the UniMás broadcast).

(That doesn't excuse the dog, though).

I like Sergio a lot; he's another driver (of many...only talent I ever spotted was Carlos Muñoz, who, to tie this all together, finished second in his first ever Indy 500, just like a certain Jacques Villeneuve) who I was totally wrong about. I'm just also really scared of him every time he tries something. laugh.png

The problem with Canadian people is they are so tiddy they wash the track almost every year during the GP!!!! Another rain qualy lotto? It seems...

laugh.png

Maldonado has crashed already, I don't know where it was on the track, I didn't see it just read that it had happened. But I'm hoping it was champions wall ;)

Could be a wet race now too, oh joy.

Things are starting to look grim in the custardgate:

Not to mention the strong rumours in the paddoks about a Michelin come back.

Ah yes, now that is what F1 really needs. A company that had its image ruined by producing useless tyres replacing a company that has had its image ruined by producing useless tyres.

:P

Ah yes, now that is what F1 really needs. A company that had its image ruined by producing useless tyres replacing a company that has had its image ruined by producing useless tyres.

tongue.png

Michelin is useless?

Thrilling qualy! Too bad Alonso and the Poochies sucked. Great job from Bottas, wow! Ditto for the Toro Rossos, specially Vergne. Jenson kept asking for rain all week so as to hide the Macca's shortcomings. I'd hate to see how bad it would have been in the dry.

What a great effort by Bottas! Things are looking quite good for Vettel, but we may be up for an interesting race. Lotus is still struggling in wet, and Massa crashed out, so quite the expected quali in that sense tongue.png .

Michelin is useless?

Remember Indy '05?

As bad as Pirelli have been, I don't recall them ever producing tyres that meant cars couldn't race at all.

But anyway, great qualifying session. It's always a lot more exciting in those type of conditions where the weather is changing all the time.

Brilliant job by #BOTTAS (not sure anyone will get that reference :P) but I think if he is going to have any hope of points tomorrow, he'll need more rain.

Impressed by the Toro Rosso guys too.

I wonder if Vergne's good under pressure. His performance has really picked up since some Red Bull and Toro Rosso guys were making it clear he had no chance to replace Webber.

There's a lot out there for these young drivers. A Red Bull seat and a Ferrari seat are going to be open in 2014, I suspect.

Bottas, as noted, was very impressive. As I've said dozens of times, it is such a shame we're not getting to see the real potential of Bottas and Maldonado, who are both capable drivers (though Maldonado has his obvious flaws).

I'm not sure how the race will go tomorrow. It will be dry, I believe, so tire wear may hold those two guys on the front row back, while third place will be held back by the car. Is it going to be another Alonso-from-nowhere race? That's my guess (the first time I've ever guessed anyone other than Vettel to win a race, so this is pretty brave of me). :P

Remember Indy '05?

As bad as Pirelli have been, I don't recall them ever producing tyres that meant cars couldn't race at all.

That's not the whole story, there.

2005 had a lot to do with FIA politics and fears of being sued in the United States, and not a ton to do with tires. The issues with the tires were heavily exaggerated. I can almost promise you that had it been a European round where such a thing had happened, the cars would have raced. That's what a lot of sources have said over the years, and I buy into it. Being in the U.S., and being at a track that's an oval first, really made the situation look worse than it was. Michelin's track record isn't one silly Grand Prix on a track that never should have existed. You know that, of course, as a sports car fan.

Anyway, if Pirelli won't be here in 2014, I just ask that they try to find a tire that operates in a level where multiple strategies can be employed. If you're going to bring a one-stop tire, you need refueling to return, and I'd rather it not. If you have a tire with enough ambiguities to have some teams do one and some two, or some two and some three, or whatever, fine, bring it on. That's just my opinion, of course. I don't know what's "best for F1" tire-wise, but I lose a lot of incentive to watch if the tire doesn't lend itself to multiple, competitive strategies. "Pure racing" is a load of romantic notions that read well in forum posts, and looks like garbage on TV.

Looking forward to the race tomorrow. Should be fun. :)

Remember Indy '05?

I thought you would bring up Indy...

Pirelli would be catastrophic at Indy. At no other race did Mitchelin have any other concern...

FYI, Bridgestone had valueble info from a series weeks prior to that race which used their tyres, providing them data as to how to design race-trim tyres.

Michelin's track record isn't one silly Grand Prix on a track that never should have existed. You know that, of course, as a sports car fan.

EXACTLY!

I responded directly to JHS b4 reading your post, so sorry for the repeat point lol

and whats with Hamie looking so glum?

Glum?

I'm seeing his twitter account right now and he seems really happy, you know, just relaxing in Hawaii and...

Oh, wait...

Is this the weekend where Bottas found his groove? I hope so. Really impressive job today. He can only go backwards in the race, but let's see how long he can delay that process.

Other than that, interesting qualifying. Nice job from the Toro Rosso boys.

Looking forward to the race. Expect Vettel to be tough to beat but Hamilton has a great affinity with this track, so it's not a lock in.

Damn Seb, everything works in his favour.

Ok, time to become an braindead conspiracionist to endure the pain. Ermmm...let's see...oh, got it!

"Bah, obviously Bernie will not let anything get between Seb and his new title. Scare tactics against Ferrari, public lynching of Mercedes and Pirelli (the latter, for trying to ruin RBRs championship) and now Kimi. And he wants RBR to win because...because...ahh, the FIA and Bernie are still being controlled behind the curtain by Max Mosley, who favors the team that belongs to his hero's birthplace: Austria!"

:unsure:

I suck at conspiracy theories.

did anyone see that the team told Button that there was 2 mint remaining when there was actually 1:59 and he missed out by 1 second?

I think Button and Webber missed out not because they were timing to two minutes, but because they were at the tail of the line and everyone ahead of them was braking hard before the final sequence of corners to try to gap from the car ahead.

Still an interesting coincidence. I feel like we get more radio transmissions from Button than anyone else.