Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Geordie

Bizarre BMW Wing

Indeed... In the words of daphne and celeste... U-G-L-Y you aint got no allabi, ur UGLY!!!! Ur Ugly!!!!

oh sweet jesus... I hope to god that never sees the light of a race

Jesus loves you my friend!Dont use his name in vain like that please.

Is that wing Legal???????I cannot see any aero advantage with that.

not all of us are christians or believe in a religion so may we use such phrases as ''for gods sake'' or ''jesus chirst!'' Aferall we are not using them to offend you!

Is that wing Legal???????I cannot see any aero advantage with that.

Maybe you should replace BMW's CFD super computer "Albert", that is some astute analysis my friend, but then again, the BMW super computer is an AMD based system and is probably wrong :naughty:

I doubt that would fly. Arrows ran a wing right there a few years back and it was deemed to 'block the driver's vision'.

Odd looking, isn't it? I'd guess it's use is to somehow get more grip to the front tires on cornering, but I've not checked out any sites to see what the experts are saying... :eusa_think:

Very weird.

It must be cleaning up the air flow from the front wing / nose cone area before it gets to the rear wing, similar to the horns that are used on the Mclaren engine cover / roll over hoop.

Well that's must guess anyway :eusa_think:

with that abonimation in front of a driver it gives him the BEST excuse yet for running into someone.... Can't bloody see anything :clap3:

lol, those wings are useless

lol, those wings are useless

Hardly. If it's there, there's a reason. Looking at the shape, they are airfoils turned sideways with the 'action' side facing out. The air will go faster over the outside of them, forcing them to 'pull' towards the tire. This could increase front-end grip. :eusa_think:

Hardly. If it's there, there's a reason. Looking at the shape, they are airfoils turned sideways with the 'action' side facing out. The air will go faster over the outside of them, forcing them to 'pull' towards the tire. This could increase front-end grip. :eusa_think:

hey...a silly question! what about the air travelling towards the drivers helmet? do u think those wings or flaps actually guide air towards the drivers helmet and helping more air to flow into the air intakes? :naughty: .....just a doubt!

hey...a silly question! what about the air travelling towards the drivers helmet? do u think those wings or flaps actually guide air towards the drivers helmet and helping more air to flow into the air intakes? :naughty: .....just a doubt!

Not a silly question. Air wouldn't flow like that around those wings, however. There would be no point in putting more air into the intake because the intake is positioned so high that it gets a straight flow of air anyway.

Most of the aero devices positioned in that area are for cleaning up airflow coming from over the wheels/suspension for better mass flowrate to the radiator inlet ducts and over the sidepods, i.e., the double winglets on the Renaults.

Jesus loves you my friend!Dont use his name in vain like that please.

Who the McHell are you???

Yea and it must be blocking the drivers vision as well!Innovations are always interesting but that one looks way too weird :blink:

If it's blocking the drivers vison, let Sato drive the car, he usually has his eyes closed anyway... :lol:

Maybe they will use it to hang the fuzzy dice since there is not rear view mirror :o

Even if it's so cleverly designed so that the drivers view is not affected i guess the average driver would get quite irritated by the end of the race because he could surely see something that was not supposed to be there!! :wacko:

looking at them more closely, they do look like they could increase front end grip so I'd agree with autumn. If they work, I see no reason why they shouldn't test a shorter version of them (obviously they could never run the long version in a race), even if there's only a slight increase in grip and thus laptimes. Lets not forget the lovely left over sauber wind tunnels that BMW do their off road aero testing in...

Most of the aero devices positioned in that area are for cleaning up airflow coming from over the wheels/suspension for better mass flowrate to the radiator inlet ducts and over the sidepods, i.e., the double winglets on the Renaults.

The shape as well as the position determine the use. The position of the wings in question wouldn't direct the airflow to any of the mentioned areas. The only areas that would benefit would be the main rear wing.

Another possibility is that the wings generate drag to aid in cornering. When turning right, the right front wheel will tend to loose a certain amount of contact with the road as the car's weight is loaded onto the left front. The wind will be blowing over the car's nose sideways (from the right to left). The wing could be connected to the upper strut so that when the sideways wind catches it during a turn, it pushes slightly in which would push the right front upper strut down, increasing contact with the track and giving more front-end grip.

Now I'm off to write another fantasy novel... :P

I'm sure they will find some way of banning it.

It will be interesting if the concept ever gets to a race weekend, what Bernie thinks of the idea. If he thinks that the design is ugly, he will no doubt start making moves to ban the concept. Everyone remember what Bernie thought of the Tyrrell that sprouted wings!!!!!!!!!

It will be interesting if the concept ever gets to a race weekend, what Bernie thinks of the idea. If he thinks that the design is ugly, he will no doubt start making moves to ban the concept. Everyone remember what Bernie thought of the Tyrrell that sprouted wings!!!!!!!!!

Indeed.

Not a silly question. Air wouldn't flow like that around those wings, however. There would be no point in putting more air into the intake because the intake is positioned so high that it gets a straight flow of air anyway.

but :eusa_think: i used to hear a couple of seasons back that micheals helmet itself helps his ferrari engine gain extra 50bhp mainly due to his helmet design, thats what prompted me to ask you if it could be for the air intake! :eusa_think:

hey...actually i read it some magazine but i really dont remember which one nor the issue...