Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jenson_Rules

General Music Thread

There was an outdoor talent show/concert/thing on campus today.

One gentleman was delayed in his performance of music because he couldn't find the mouse cursor on his MacBook due to the solar glare.

I'm no purist; I'm a young person who likes 80s music, after all. I just found it almost surreal that people would come out to see someone make music on a laptop computer. But, hey, it was a sunny day, and I'm sure the guy was thrilled to have an audience, so good for him. :)

But, FFS, back in the 1800s, they didn't project doing another tire stop until 1947, they raced in the rain, and they didn't have to worry about solar glare to play live music! Senna!!! ;)

I guess my wondering is: where do you guys, personally, draw the line with what is and is not music, and what is and is not a performance? I figure that line continually changes, but I'd be interested to know. Does it detract from the music at all, for you, to be too computerized/electronic? In a way, it's sort of analogous to debates about driving aids in F1 etc.

There is a traditional snobbery around the judgement of talent or worthiness, based on whether someone can play instruments, or not.

I used to feel this way and now realise it is completely wrong. For me Dire Straits have a particular ability to make me totally unmoved by anything they do/did. Knopfler clearly has an ability, but it's not one that stirs my soul.

The electronica of certain Prodigy, or The Orb, stirs emotions inside of me that I am not able to put into words.

If the intent of the artist is to give people pleasure, for me, it doesn't matter how they achieve it. The ability to do this could be judged a greater talent than maybe the most technically accomplished but soulless musician.

Ah, Steve - you are alive! I have to agree with all you say.I will listen to virtually anything that is well-crafted and delivered from the heart, much to the chagrin of most of my contemporaries, I might add. That basically cuts out most things that are currently popular though I always have my ears open.

Music is something that is all down to taste and personal likes and dislikes isn't it? I like a whole load of stuff from BareNaked Ladies, to The Ramones, The Bee Gees, to Garth Brooks, Meatloaf to Phil Collins, Shania Twain to Dr Hook, Okay Go to McFly and so on and so forth. I have a very eclectic taste and what I play varies greatly on how I feel at the time.

As I have got a bit older I have turned into my mother when I say such gems as 'that's not music, it's just noise' and my other personal favourite, 'huh, it was much better first time around'. So yeah, there is a wide range of stuff I like some old, actually mostly older stuff, but some newer stuff too. It doesn't matter when it was made or how, it's whether I like it or not that matters to me. If I don't, I'll probably just describe it as noise anyway ;)

I used to feel this way and now realise it is completely wrong. For me Dire Straits have a particular ability to make me totally unmoved by anything they do/did. Knopfler clearly has an ability, but it's not one that stirs my soul.

Listen to Mark Knopfler's Rudiger again and you'll feel different!

Music is something that is all down to taste and personal likes and dislikes isn't it? I like a whole load of stuff from BareNaked Ladies, to The Ramones, The Bee Gees, to Garth Brooks, Meatloaf to Phil Collins, Shania Twain to Dr Hook, Okay Go to McFly and so on and so forth. I have a very eclectic taste and what I play varies greatly on how I feel at the time.

As I have got a bit older I have turned into my mother when I say such gems as 'that's not music, it's just noise' and my other personal favourite, 'huh, it was much better first time around'. So yeah, there is a wide range of stuff I like some old, actually mostly older stuff, but some newer stuff too. It doesn't matter when it was made or how, it's whether I like it or not that matters to me. If I don't, I'll probably just describe it as noise anyway wink.png

This.

Minus Meatloaf I mean, seriously? :P

This.

Minus Meatloaf I mean, seriously? tongue.png

At least we agree on Meatloaf. ;) Where do you stand on Queen?

You would listen to any type of music, but you won't listen to that? whistling.gif

I have an open mind, but that does not mean I'd like anything.

For example, when you fart Greenleaves...seriously, I told you not to do that in front of our guests!

I have an open mind, but that does not mean I'd like anything.

For example, when you fart Greenleaves...seriously, I told you not to do that in front of our guests!

Hey, that's Green Onions, not Greensleeves laugh.png

Is there a smiley for 'gone completely over your head' ?? Meatloaf - I would do anything for love, but I won't do that. So you would listen to any type of music, but you won't listen to that....................I knew it was tenuous, but ..................oh forget it dam.gif

Is there a smiley for 'gone completely over your head' ?? Meatloaf - I would do anything for love, but I won't do that. So you would listen to any type of music, but you won't listen to that....................I knew it was tenuous, but ..................oh forget it dam.gif

That was some bad pun out of hell...

Wait...:eusa_think:

No, I don't like Meatloaf, and Angellica, I don't like Queen either, although I respect their quallity (something I can't do with Meatloaf)

BTW, if we are having some Meatloaf here, let it be in this version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTPko-aXvJM

I got it, I knew what you meant and I sniggered ;)

That was some bad pun out of hell...

Wait...eusa_think.gif

No, I don't like Meatloaf, and Angellica, I don't like Queen either, although I respect their quallity (something I can't do with Meatloaf)

BTW, if we are having some Meatloaf here, let it be in this version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTPko-aXvJM

I will admit with Meatloaf I only have the Bat Out Of Hell album and I don't listen to it that often, but I have been known to belt out a few of the songs from it from time to time when I am in the mood.

This.

Minus Meatloaf I mean, seriously? tongue.png

Okay, I'll admit it, when I first read your quote I got it wrong, I thought you meant Meatloaf was the only good one on the list!! Shows how wrong you can be doesn't it? dam.gif

I pretty much listen to everything from light rock to stuff like Celine Dion.

A couple of years ago when I was going to the British Grand Prix with my cousin we created an awesome mix cd filled with rock and 80's cheese, couldn't have timed it all better as the last song on the cd which came on just as we were about to pull into the car park was Gustav Holst - Mars: The bringer of war!

If I'm not mistaken, I think Vettel won that race :-)

I pretty much listen to everything from light rock to stuff like Celine Dion.

A couple of years ago when I was going to the British Grand Prix with my cousin we created an awesome mix cd filled with rock and 80's cheese, couldn't have timed it all better as the last song on the cd which came on just as we were about to pull into the car park was Gustav Holst - Mars: The bringer of war!

If I'm not mistaken, I think Vettel won that race :-)

Could you try that song again just before the start of any of the races in July please? Seb has never won a race in that month, (I know, weird stat but apparently true) any help you can give him would be much appreciated :)

Currently enjoying Disclosure's album Settle.

Plus I recently found an instant favourite courtesy of Billy Bragg:

Haven't been to any races since... does it count if I play it at home?

Worth a try ;)