Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

Who Tapped Into Mclaren's Radio?

While Ron Dennis' defence of a 'team strategy' during Sunday's Monaco GP has proved typically verbose, the McLaren team boss' discourse did include one incredible claim worthy of lengthy comment: that 'someone tapped into' the team's radio system during the 1998 Australian GP.

The race remains one of the most controversial in the sport's history after Mika Hakkinen and David Coulthard pre-arranged the result by agreeing that whichever driver led the season-opening event at the first corner would enjoy an uncontested ride to victory.

Hakkinen, though, appeared to have wrecked his chances when he made an unscheduled and entirely unexpected visit to the pits, only for Coulthard to slow down on the main straight with two laps remaining. The ensuing outrage was considerable, with Sporting Life declaring that motor racing had "ceased to be a credible betting sport."

Yet, ten years on, an entirely new twist has been put on the tale. While it has been previously been accepted that the Finn's visit to the pits, in which he simply drove past his team's garage when realising that his pit crew were not anticipating his arrival, was caused by a communications breakdown, Dennis has now put forward a far more sinister explanation.

"We do not, and have not, manipulated grands prix unless there are some exceptional circumstances," he commented after Sunday's Monaco GP in which he instructed Lewis Hamilton to hold station behind Fernando Alonso.

"For example, in Australia, someone tapped into our radio and instructed Mika Hakkinen to enter the pits. He entered the pits, but I reversed that because that was unfair. That was an outside influence influencing the outcome of the race.

"That is one of the very rare occasions there's been a team order."

Although skulduggery is an accepted tactic inside F1, the allegation of radio hacking is unique and certain to raise hackles inside the paddock. Nor was it a particularly useful device in Melbourne in March 1998. Such was McLaren's dominance that third-placed Heinz-Harald Frentzen, driving a Williams-Mecachrome, finished over a lap behind both Coulthard and Hakkinen. The Finn could have taken another two pit-stops and still finished first.

http://www.totalf1.com/view-article.php?newsid=208660

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is very interesting and amazing if its true. If it did actually happen my bet is one McLaren's closest rivals at the time and they would be Ferrari and Williams.

thats very interesting, i had no idea someone had (apparently) hacked into their radio!!!

I also didnt realise that DC was ordered to move over for Hakkinen, I thought he was just being 'a gentleman' and keeping to the agreement that he had made with Hakkinen before the race

The real question is did anyone tap into Mclaren's radio?

First they claimed it was a first corner agreement. Now it's a tapped radio. And DC said he was simply told to move over. I am inclined to believe DC because the other two explanations are contradictory and come from a born liar.

The race remains one of the most controversial in the sport's history after Mika Hakkinen and David Coulthard pre-arranged the result by agreeing that whichever driver led the season-opening event at the first corner would enjoy an uncontested ride to victory.

Hakkinen, though, appeared to have wrecked his chances when he made an unscheduled and entirely unexpected visit to the pits, only for Coulthard to slow down on the main straight with two laps remaining. The ensuing outrage was considerable, with Sporting Life declaring that motor racing had "ceased to be a credible betting sport."

Yet, ten years on, an entirely new twist has been put on the tale. While it has been previously been accepted that the Finn's visit to the pits, in which he simply drove past his team's garage when realising that his pit crew were not anticipating his arrival, was caused by a communications breakdown, Dennis has now put forward a far more sinister explanation.

"We do not, and have not, manipulated grands prix unless there are some exceptional circumstances," he commented after Sunday's Monaco GP in which he instructed Lewis Hamilton to hold station behind Fernando Alonso.

"For example, in Australia, someone tapped into our radio and instructed Mika Hakkinen to enter the pits. He entered the pits, but I reversed that because that was unfair. That was an outside influence influencing the outcome of the race.

"That is one of the very rare occasions there's been a team order."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is very interesting and amazing if its true. If it did actually happen my bet is one McLaren's closest rivals at the time and they would be Ferrari and Williams.

WOW, yes, really interesting news!

The real question is did anyone tap into Mclaren's radio?

First they claimed it was a first corner agreement. Now it's a tapped radio. And DC said he was simply told to move over. I am inclined to believe DC because the other two explanations are contradictory and come from a born liar.

You should write conspiracy theory books.... you would be rich be now :P

You should write conspiracy theory books.... you would be rich be now :P

No he wouldnt because his accusations and theories are all directed at the same person and without any real evidence :P

I'm pretty sure DC said in recent times that the first corner agreement never existed. I may well be totally wrong though.

I'm pretty sure DC said in recent times that the first corner agreement never existed. I may well be totally wrong though.

In a 2005 interview with DC I read that there was an agreement, but looking back on that day DC wishes he had ignored the order to move over

While Ron Dennis' defence of a 'team strategy' during Sunday's Monaco GP has proved typically verbose, the McLaren team boss' discourse did include one incredible claim worthy of lengthy comment: that 'someone tapped into' the team's radio system during the 1998 Australian GP.

So they only manipulate when its an important race

that goes in my sig

thats very interesting, i had no idea someone had (apparently) hacked into their radio!!!

I also didnt realise that DC was ordered to move over for Hakkinen, I thought he was just being 'a gentleman' and keeping to the agreement that he had made with Hakkinen before the race

A gentleman doesn't raise his middle finger in front of the cameras. B)

A gentleman doesn't raise his middle finger in front of the cameras. B)

But its OK when he is directing that middle finger at a w#nker.

It's OK that a w#nker wins 7 WDCs & a "gentleman" has achieved nothing.

whats that got to do with anything?

If there was a poll entitled 'is Schuey a w#nker' I think the 'yes' option would win by a mile!

DC is a w#nker who acheived nothing. Please don't abuse the term gentleman, the language has been mutilated enough anyway.

DC is a w#nker who acheived nothing. Please don't abuse the term gentleman, the language has been mutilated enough anyway.

Can we call it a draw and say that both DC and MS are w#nkers? :lol:

In terms of points scored, DC is the most successful british driver of all time, so i guess he must've achieved something!

The point is DC made the gesture because he thought Schuey was driving like a w#nker. Heat of the moment, frustration and so on. He got past in the end, and won the race, so alls well that ends well

In terms of points scored, DC is the most successful british driver of all time, so i guess he must've achieved something!

The point is DC made the gesture because he thought Schuey was driving like a w#nker. Heat of the moment, frustration and so on. He got past in the end, and won the race, so alls well that ends well

Come on Jem, you are more sensible than that!!MS defended his position and DC later stated that he turns red when reminded of that incident, from shame that is!

So now you are going to believe this?

Do you really believe this story? :blink:

I am the one who's going to be rich now that I know that you believe everything you hear or read, hte closest rival was a lap down, what was the point in a team doing this when they would not be getting any advantage on this? anyway it was going to be a 1-2 for them, this just a lie.

But its OK when he is directing that middle finger at a w#nker.

I had no idea DC gave you the finger.