Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rainmaster

2008 Australian Grand Prix Thread

Was DC's fault, think he should get himself the arse kicking for being a first class tool.

Was DC's fault, think he should get himself the arse kicking for being a first class tool.

hahahah - just a racing incident. they are big boys and must get over it!! :lol:

What to make of all the DNF's???? The race was gripping, but if this sort of retirement rate continues through the season, it won't look good for F1 at all!

I don't think it's going to continue, many of them were reliability issues, let's assume it's more normal for the start of the season. Can you imagine what would it be like with the two Ferraris retiring every other race? Hell XD

I love DC so much after his little outburst! Let's hope he does do what he promised, should make next weekend if they end up near each other though :)

Lewis was faultless, fast and quite brilliant. Aswell as having a cool head, this was a day to demonstrate the virtues of securing pole position. Whilst all manner of incidents caused big names to drop the ball, Lewis had the advantage of being able to get his head down and concentrate purely on the park.

Kimi was dissapointingly rattled. His traditional cool was replaced with erratic behaviour and sometimes just pure dumbness. His speed was never in question though and once Ferrari take a deep breath and calm down a little they will no doubt be the main force alongside McLaren.

BMW were puzzling, specifically Kubica. He wasn't significantly short fuelled; his qualifying lap was pretty genuine. And yet there was no conviction in his charge. There seems to be a fundamental problem in the way that he can translate a strong grid position into a great result. Is he the new Trulli?

Guys like Heidfeld and Alonso made hay whilst the sun shone. Consistent, calm and fast.

The big shame early on was seeing Button, Vettel and Webber go out. Specifically, i wanted to see how these three were going to do. Would Button muscle the car? Yes, look what Rubens did with it. Could Vettel tranlate a super qualifying into something special? Yes, look what Bourdais did (Oh, poor Bourdais....damn shame) and could Mark show us what was in the Red Bull? With DC out too it was tricky assesing their form. These guys will especially rue the day because it's days like these, early in the season that if they are going to score, whilst bigger guns settle in, they will. How good was it seeing Nico on the podium? How wonderful to see big smiles on the faces of Team Willy's mechanics. The genuine admiration and joy between Nico and Lewis was lovely.

The racing itself wasn't that great. The best battle was between Alonso and Kovalainen. Alonso was brilliant, but then i think we all knew he would be; back at Enstone, fresh, fit and that big kneck looking like it could pull a tree down, he's well up for the fight.

Today though was about Lewis. Sorry, but it just was.

Just seen on the official f1 site that Rubens was disqualified, Kimi therefore has scored his first point of the season! But only 6 official finishers! :(

I love DC so much after his little outburst! Let's hope he does do what he promised, should make next weekend if they end up near each other though :)

He has always had a witty sound bite for Louise. It was funny. Like when he called Montoya fat. Dry humour. It won't be shown in the British re-run; that's why i'll be up at 3am next year.

Lewis was faultless, fast and quite brilliant. Aswell as having a cool head, this was a day to demonstrate the virtues of securing pole position. Whilst all manner of incidents caused big names to drop the ball, Lewis had the advantage of being able to get his head down and concentrate purely on the park.

Kimi was dissapointingly rattled. His traditional cool was replaced with erratic behaviour and sometimes just pure dumbness. His speed was never in question though and once Ferrari take a deep breath and calm down a little they will no doubt be the main force alongside McLaren.

BMW were puzzling, specifically Kubica. He wasn't significantly short fuelled; his qualifying lap was pretty genuine. And yet there was no conviction in his charge. There seems to be a fundamental problem in the way that he can translate a strong grid position into a great result. Is he the new Trulli?

Guys like Heidfeld and Alonso made hay whilst the sun shone. Consistent, calm and fast.

The big shame early on was seeing Button, Vettel and Webber go out. Specifically, i wanted to see how these three were going to do. Would Button muscle the car? Yes, look what Rubens did with it. Could Vettel tranlate a super qualifying into something special? Yes, look what Bourdais did (Oh, poor Bourdais....damn shame) and could Mark show us what was in the Red Bull? With DC out too it was tricky assesing their form. These guys will especially rue the day because it's days like these, early in the season that if they are going to score, whilst bigger guns settle in, they will. How good was it seeing Nico on the podium? How wonderful to see big smiles on the faces of Team Willy's mechanics. The genuine admiration and joy between Nico and Lewis was lovely.

The racing itself wasn't that great. The best battle was between Alonso and Kovalainen. Alonso was brilliant, but then i think we all knew he would be; back at Enstone, fresh, fit and that big kneck looking like it could pull a tree down, he's well up for the fight.

Eloquently written as usual

In short -- Lewis was luckiest guy out there. He would have gotten 1st or 2nd place regardless of SC's, but it made sure not only Kovalainen will not be able to challenge him for win, but also SC screwed Kimi race. I think that latter part must have frustrated Kimi as i do admit his second half was not as good.

Now Hamilton has good lead over his biggest rivals, lets see if Malaysia will increase it or not :P

Yes Sir! :D

In short -- Lewis was luckiest guy out there. He would have gotten 1st or 2nd place regardless of SC's, but it made sure not only Kovalainen will not be able to challenge him for win, but also SC screwed Kimi race. I think that latter part must have frustrated Kimi as i do admit his second half was not as good.

Now Hamilton has good lead over his biggest rivals, lets see if Malaysia will increase it or not :P

SC didn't screw any part of Kimi's race, it could only help him and it would have if he didn't start doing weird and stupid things in the second half. I think it was loss of concentration, but still, no redeeming factors there. But just for his first half of the race I won't be so sorry.

Alonso was really good, and Heikki should have been luckier.

Lewis was Lewis, starting first, and looking only forward. He might be good but I can't like him for that. Either he provides some fun or I'll rate him bad each time xD

Otherwise, I agree with dribbler, as he explains things way better than me :)

There must be something in the air against Ferrari.

Their drivers.

Agree.

What to make of all the DNF's???? The race was gripping, but if this sort of retirement rate continues through the season, it won't look good for F1 at all!

Agree, I don't like the way it looks.

My thoughts..

1) Kimi was shocking today, just poor. Great start, on for what could've been described as a champion's drive to finish on the podium, but throws away massive points to Lewis with rookie errors - in overtaking no less (where he is normally so strong).

2) Massa, what to say, almost as poor as Kimi. Terrible start, then the incident with DC.

3) Kova makes a good start to his Mclaren career, sets fastest lap and would've finished 2nd. He has already proven he is not going to be walked over. A strong pass on Alonso, then he somehow lost it?

4) Strong drive from Bourdais, Rosberg, Alonso, Barrichello and Heidfeld.

5) The finishing rate was poor and if this trend continues F1 looks amateurish.

6) Lewis is the man.

5) The finishing rate was poor and if this trend continues F1 looks amateurish.

I disagree. I quite liked the high attrition rate. It keeps the drivers on their toes. Many were clearly flumoxed by the demands of actually having to drive their cars and i found that very interesting. Not only that but it gives the potential for a wildcard winner, just like Monaco '96.

I bet Kimi and Felipe would not have expected the mild bollocking that they will no doubt get. I found it amusingly ironic that pre-season they were two drivers saying how wonderful their car was. They looked more than a little complacent, to me; Kimi needs to remember that even world champions have to concentrate and will spin on grass. Felipe needs to get a tape rule and measure the width of his car.

wasne't he given the stop go for that??

He was given a ten seconds penalty for pitting under the Safety Car period, but he olso exited the pit lane under red light and that is why he was DQed.

I think the luckiest guy was Kimi, he had the right strategy starting the race with soft tires, he gained a lot fo position right from the start, he lost a lot of time with RB but he gain that time back with the SC, HE didn't manage to overtake RB (and who said that he would have a better time with the faster cars ahead of Rubens), He messed up his own race by going out of the track, forcing him to stop right in that lap when he could go for a couple more laps, then he got another safety car when he was more than one minute behind Lewis, from that point and for ten more laps it was in his hands to gain position from a lot of slower cars in front of him then came his olny period of bad luck, teh engine failure (probably cause by him) his didn't finished the race but he still got one point for RB's disqualification, I honestly see him as the luckiest guy of the race.

I disagree. I quite liked the high attrition rate. It keeps the drivers on their toes. Many were clearly flumoxed by the demands of actually having to drive their cars and i found that very interesting. Not only that but it gives the potential for a wildcard winner, just like Monaco '96.

I bet Kimi and Felipe would not have expected the mild bollocking that they will no doubt get. I found it amusingly ironic that pre-season they were two drivers saying how wonderful their car was. They looked more than a little complacent, to me; Kimi needs to remember that even world champions have to concentrate and will spin on grass. Felipe needs to get a tape rule and measure the width of his car.

I guess you're saying this because of his crash with DC, but was DC the one who closed the door on Massa, DC is the only responsible for the crash (as always).

I guess you're saying this because of his crash with DC, but was DC the one who closed the door on Massa, DC is the only responsible for the crash (as always).

Yup.

Aside from the drivers and teams, I would like to thank the Director. We were not treated (as in the Shuey era) to endless shots of Hamilton cruising around the track. We only saw Hamilton when his position was being threatened and on his pit stops. The rest of the time we were shown the myriad battles and trials and tribulations of the Lesser Ones. It was utterly fantastic and went a long way towards renewing my love for Formula 1.

Yup.

Aside from the drivers and teams, I would like to thank the Director. We were not treated (as in the Shuey era) to endless shots of Hamilton cruising around the track. We only saw Hamilton when his position was being threatened and on his pit stops. The rest of the time we were shown the myriad battles and trials and tribulations of the Lesser Ones. It was utterly fantastic and went a long way towards renewing my love for Formula 1.

Definitely was an action packed race, I didn't like the final result but I did enjoyed the race from the very same lap to the last one, and like you said there was a very good job from the tv people this time, this race make me think that we are going to have an interesting season.