Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mikathegreat2

Driver Of The Day-italian Gp

DOD Monza  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Driver of the Day?

• Vettel
    • Kovalainen
    • Kubica
    • Alonso
    • Heidfeld
    • Massa
    • Hamilton
    • Webber
    • Other

How on earth you can put Heikki's lackluster drive above Hamilton is beyond me. Hamilton and Kubica made the best of a bad job, but Vettel wins by a mile in this one for me. Not just because he drove well in the rain- he was able to master the changeable conditions and keep his head.

How on earth you can put Heikki's lackluster drive above Hamilton is beyond me. Hamilton and Kubica made the best of a bad job, but Vettel wins by a mile in this one for me. Not just because he drove well in the rain- he was able to master the changeable conditions and keep his head.

Because Heikki finished second, and Hamilton finished 7th. How you finish counts - there are no points for brilliance. Heikki won the points that would have been lost due to Hamilton's failure. Yes, Hamilton was unlucky, but luck is what wins races. Although I agree that Hamilton and Kubica made up the most places and made what they could out of a bad situation.

Vettel win is NOT that strange considering the conditions and, frankly, he had the easiest job after the quali. That's not to take away from his success - he is very, very good, but also was very lucky in this race.

If how you finish counts, Vettel still wins. I see your point, but I just don't see Kubica as DOD today, or for the whole weekend. He did good, but not the best.

And Heikki lost a race that should have been his by a mile.. That's as bad as it gets.

Vettel was the obvious choice, bar a few people who had "moments" in the race..........

No, some of you decided he was an obvious choice (gee, I wonder what place would Fisichella end up id he wasn't Coultharded) because a lot of fans go for glitter and glamour. Vettel won in atrocious conditions due to careful and mistake-free driving (Kubica had all but one of 2008 races mistake-free, and you are welcomed to challenge me on that), great strategy, and a lot of luck. Wonder where would Bourdais ended up if his engine didn't stall...

I am not raining on Seb's parade, and he is one of the most promising drivers out there, but I doubt he would have won (with the same driving and in the same conditions) if he started from anywhere but the pole position. So, if you want to award DOD for a mistake-free driving for 53 laps - go ahead, but there were better drivers out there...

:yes:

Now that I've had a chance to think about it Vettel's performance has got to be one of the best if not the best performance I've seen ever!

Driver of the day by a mile....from Lewis :P

Didn't Hamilton pass Kubica?

Hamilton would have won if for not a spot of rain. He could have passed Vettel had he another laps worth of fuel on board.

Vettel did a great job keeping it on the island, but even he admitted that with being able to see and all he could drive so much faster than everyone else in the first stages of the race. He drove an excellent race, and took the laurels for it. Congrats and well done.

Kubica kept fairly clean all race, and moved from 11th to 3rd - 8 places. Lewis went from 15th to 7th - also 8 places. So a tie, except Lewis passed Kubica, so theres the tie breaker.

Kubica kept fairly clean all race, and moved from 11th to 3rd - 8 places. Lewis went from 15th to 7th - also 8 places. So a tie, except Lewis passed Kubica, so theres the tie breaker.

Why is 15th-7th as hard as 11th-3rd in a worse car.

Gaining higher positions is harder because the cars are more competitive. :eusa_think:

For petes sake Kay - take the WHOLE race into account - who was it that drove from 15th to 2nd? Who was it that left Kimi in his literal wake? Who was it that could very well have won the race if the predicted rain came again?

Touchy.

I merely questioned whether two eight place gains were really a 'tie'.

We can talk about the what ifs etc, but that was not my question.

I guess you don't want to answer it. Ah well.

They weren't a tie, as Hamilton passed Kubica therefore breaking the tie. And I guess Kimi isn't a competitive racer, or that Webber guy either. And then where do we rank the Toyota's or Rosberg that were infront of Kubica, yet finished behind both Kubica and Lewis...hmmm.....once again, you've proved the results do not give a true indication of the story of the race, or any race for that matter.

Someone pass me a brick wall...

I have no idea what on earth you're going on about.

You made the summary; not me. I merely asked why just because two drivers gained the same amount of places from the starting grid it makes them tied. 'Cos then Heikki, Massa and Seb (and no tie breaker) were tied too. Instead of answering it you've gone off on one about how I've proved something despite only asking a question.

Someone pass me a brick wall...

I have no idea what on earth you're going on about.

You made the summary; not me. I merely asked why just because two drivers gained the same amount of places from the starting grid it makes them tied. 'Cos then Heikki, Massa and Seb (and no tie breaker) were tied too. Instead of answering it you've gone off on one about how I've proved something despite only asking a question.

Kay, you are quite knowledgeable on matters F1, but I'm afraid you sometimes allow your dislike for a driver to cloud your judgement. The brick wall might help as it might just knock you out and shut you up in the process.

Best to agree to disagree

Kay, you are quite knowledgeable on matters F1, but I'm afraid you sometimes allow your dislike for a driver to cloud your judgement. The brick wall might help as it might just knock you out and shut you up in the process.

Best to agree to disagree

Ah well done, you assumed I think Kubica had the better race?

I don't.

Hamilton was better.

That's not my point.

My point is just because two drivers gain the same amount of positions doesn't make them tied.

As otherwise Vettel who had a great performance, was tied with Heikki who was slow.

Hence I asked a question and did not make the statement:

'Kubica was better'.

Do you want that broken down any further for you?

Maybe you should take your own advice and not let your dislike for a poster cloud your judgement.

Just a thought.

Ah well done, you assumed I think Kubica had the better race?

I don't.

Hamilton was better.

That's not my point.

My point is just because two drivers gain the same amount of positions doesn't make them tied.

As otherwise Vettel who had a great performance, was tied with Heikki who was slow.

Hence I asked a question and did not make the statement:

'Kubica was better'.

Do you want that broken down any further for you?

Maybe you should take your own advice and not let your dislike for a poster cloud your judgement.

Just a thought.

No dislike Kay.

Hamilton went from 15th on the grid to 2nd on a one stop strategy (having already pitted) Had the track remained wet or Vettel et al missed the window for intermediate tyres Lewis would have won the race. Kubica inherited a podium because his one stop pitstop window luckily meant he could switch to intermediates when he fueled. Kubica did not overtake any driver he simply lucked into a podium.

It's no big deal to me as Lewis only lost 1 point to Massa in the WDC, but the best drivers on the day were Vettel and Lewis.

No dislike Kay.

Hamilton went from 15th on the grid to 2nd on a one stop strategy (having already pitted) Had the track remained wet or Vettel et al missed the window for intermediate tyres Lewis would have won the race. Kubica inherited a podium because his one stop pitstop window luckily meant he could switch to intermediates when he fueled. Kubica did not overtake any driver he simply lucked into a podium.

It's no big deal to me as Lewis only lost 1 point to Massa in the WDC, but the best drivers on the day were Vettel and Lewis.

Then why assume what I was saying to another poster just to have yet another dig at me?

I simply asked why just because two drivers gained the same amount of positions it makes it a tie. As by the same logic, Heikki and Vettel would have been 'tied' as they both gained 0, yet it's clear Vettel was much better. I did not say who I thought was better out of Kubica or Hamilton.

I still haven't got an answer from HandyNZL yet.

Like I said earlier,

when you are given what you want, some of you still whine as if it was too much...

Bye.

Indeed. The forum is just full of a bunch of sanitised pussies now.

Oh bollock me I just got a paper cut.

Indeed. The forum is just full of a bunch of sanitised pussies now.

Oh bollock me I just got a paper cut.

:lol:

BTW, I think the whole field deserves the DOD award. Monza under the rain with no traction control? Yet almost no accidents, only one DNF and a few minor run offs.

Impressive.

I wanted to vote Vettel, but my vote goes to Lewis for his storm-trooping antics. Brilliant drive.

:lol:

BTW, I think the whole field deserves the DOD award. Monza under the rain with no traction control? Yet almost no accidents, only one DNF and a few minor run offs.

Impressive.

Yeah, I completely agree, impressive stuff. Extra kudos to those who changed to inters early too.