Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Today In F1

Ferrari can't catch Red Bull - Alonso

By Jay

June 1 2010

Fernando Alonso is starting to lose confidence in the Ferrari team and its development pace with the season almost half-way through. Team boss, Stefano Domenicali has promised to bring in huge updates at the Valencia GP, which he is confident of bringing the car on par with the Red Bulls.

Rumours have also suggested that Ferrari are in fact planning updated exhaust a la Red Bull. This looks to be in the right direction rather than focussing on the f-duct development which saw their investment go down the drain with no improvements.

However, Alonso it seems is not impressed with all this. Speaking to La Razon, he said “We know that McLaren and Red Bull are very far away and we don’t know if that’s enough. We have to work hard.”

"We don’t know how long it is going to take, but the truth is that we are almost 8 tenths from Red Bull and 6 or 7 tenths from McLaren, and these developments (for Valencia) are not going to give us that much.”

Ferrari are known for the ability to develop car faster during the season, but somehow this season their technical team seem to be not headed in the right direction.

The team that started with the best race pace are suddenly stuck at the development stage, with all others including McLaren, Mercedes and even Force India showing much more improvement since the start of the season.

Domenicali speaking at the team’s usual Monday debrief said, “We have to react immediately and show what we can do. The ability to develop the car has always been a strong point for Ferrari and there is no reason why that should not be the case now: the people are the same, as are our work methods."

It remains to be seen whether this last ditch effort by the red team would make any difference.

Their lead driver doesn't think so, or is he just making us believe the opposite?

All this would be clear by Valencia, while the team is gearing up for the next GP at Montreal. A track, with slow corners, that should definitely suit their car.

I know that Muzza will love this news. :naughty:

We know F1 is full of liars, Alonso never said Ferrari can't catch Red Bull no matter how you put the sheet of paper to read it.

The truth is that some journos in Italy wondered if wouldn't it be better to focus on 2011 Ferrari and Domenicalli said in an interview no way they will do that. They have a major upgrade for Valencia, but they know it won't give them more than a few tenths. They know Red Bull and McLaren are far away and they improve their cars nearly every race.

I know Alonso is suppose to win every single race just because he's driving a red car with a prancing horse on it but as I said long before he joined Ferrari, they might not be the team you would like to be for the next few season.

We know F1 is full of liars, Alonso never said Ferrari can't catch Red Bull no matter how you put the sheet of paper to read it.

The truth is that some journos in Italy wondered if wouldn't it be better to focus on 2011 Ferrari and Domenicalli said in an interview no way they will do that. They have a major upgrade for Valencia, but they know it won't give them more than a few tenths. They know Red Bull and McLaren are far away and they improve their cars nearly every race.

I know Alonso is suppose to win every single race just because he's driving a red car with a prancing horse on it but as I said long before he joined Ferrari, they might not be the team you would like to be for the next few season.

The point here is that Ferrari sacrified last season in order to work for this car, I believed that Ferrari would be unbeatable this season not because of Alonso but because of that, but Ferrari is a complete failure this season given the point that I already mentioned, last season wans't worse because they had the best driver :naughty: with them and Kimi made some drives to give some podiums to Ferrari even when they were not developing that car, if they couldn't make a car that work in all those months they won't do it now with the season progressing, the rest of the team moving forward and having to work with the next season car too, I really think Ferrari is going to have a hard time to catch up the guys in front but I also think there will be some circuits were they can do a better job and the difference won't be that much actually I don't think they are that far behind because they as in Alonso was very fast in Monaco so that depend of the circuit they are as it suit one team better than the other.

The point here is that Ferrari sacrified last season in order to work for this car, I believed that Ferrari would be unbeatable this season not because of Alonso but because of that, but Ferrari is a complete failure this season given the point that I already mentioned, last season wans't worse because they had the best driver naughty.gif with them and Kimi made some drives to give some podiums to Ferrari even when they were not developing that car, if they couldn't make a car that work in all those months they won't do it now with the season progressing, the rest of the team moving forward and having to work with the next season car too, I really think Ferrari is going to have a hard time to catch up the guys in front but I also think there will be some circuits were they can do a better job and the difference won't be that much actually I don't think they are that far behind because they as in Alonso was very fast in Monaco so that depend of the circuit they are as it suit one team better than the other.

I wasn't too sure about how good Ferrari's car would be this season but what I had never expected was Ferrari having so poor development pace, not because of Alonso but because they used to have a great team of engineers. If someone thought a driver can work as engineer it wasn't me, the only technical input a driver can provide is telling the engineers what the car lacks from his point of view and his driving style, a good driver should be quick saying whether a development makes the car feel better or not, quicker or not, and of course he must know what set-up he needs for a given track. Some drivers can be better than others from a technical point of view but even the best drivers need a good base to work on and a competitive car to make a difference against a less experienced driver.

As I said many times last year when Alonso joined Ferrari I think they made two big mistakes. The first and biggest one was Raikkonen leaving Ferrari and the second one was stopping the development of the F60 so early in the Championship. I don't think they have to win every year, every championship, but if they can't find the path to make the F10 more competitive it would be a major failure.

Neither Alonso nor Ferrari can be happy about their performance so far this season.

You know, with all the "we fail" and "we might as well just not bother turning up on a weekend" talk from Alonso, I'd love to know what the Tifosi makes to his comments. I dare say they don't take it kindly. Is this really Alonso's great motivating ability we've heard so much about?

I wasn't too sure about how good Ferrari's car would be this season but what I had never expected was Ferrari having so poor development pace, not because of Alonso but because they used to have a great team of engineers. If someone thought a driver can work as engineer it wasn't me, the only technical input a driver can provide is telling the engineers what the car lacks from his point of view and his driving style, a good driver should be quick saying whether a development makes the car feel better or not, quicker or not, and of course he must know what set-up he needs for a given track. Some drivers can be better than others from a technical point of view but even the best drivers need a good base to work on and a competitive car to make a difference against a less experienced driver.

As I said many times last year when Alonso joined Ferrari I think they made two big mistakes. The first and biggest one was Raikkonen leaving Ferrari and the second one was stopping the development of the F60 so early in the Championship. I don't think they have to win every year, every championship, but if they can't find the path to make the F10 more competitive it would be a major failure.

Neither Alonso nor Ferrari can be happy about their performance so far this season.

I like you post, not sure why but I like it and talking about the second mistake you mentioned that brought to my mind when Martin W. was asked about Ferrari stopping development so early in the season and he said something like "I don't know what they means, because next season rules are very similar to this this season and you test on track what you will use next year" probably is in this point that Ferrari is failing or let's say failed but the truth is that I ws expecting a very good packege from Ferrari as that was what Honda did, they stop developing their car and focused on the next one and came out with the 2009 winner, I was also expecting a stronger Mclaren right now it looks pretty good but that was nt the case from the beggining, I was expecting Mercedes to be more or less where they are but Red Bull definitely did their homework.

You know, with all the "we fail" and "we might as well just not bother turning up on a weekend" talk from Alonso, I'd love to know what the Tifosi makes to his comments. I dare say they don't take it kindly. Is this really Alonso's great motivating ability we've heard so much about?

Well I never believed he had those extra 0.6 second per lap that he could bring to any team nor that super ability to develop a car but I know he could motivated the whole team to do a better if they are counting on him to deliver but those words definitelly are going to help, he seriuosly need to come out and say "my words were mistranlated or taken out of context" or something similar because if he meant that there won't be much to do with this season, they better focus on the next one.

Well I never believed he had those extra 0.6 second per lap that he could bring to any team nor that super ability to develop a car but I know he could motivated the whole team to do a better if they are counting on him to deliver but those words definitelly are going to help, he seriuosly need to come out and say "my words were mistranlated or taken out of context" or something similar because if he meant that there won't be much to do with this season, they better focus on the next one.

I have no doubt Alonso is surprised about Ferrari's lack of development/improvement but I doubt he has lost faith in the team. Besides, he said what Tombazis himself had said in another interview. I don't think it would be good to hear different answers to similar questions from different team members. Alonso's never too optimistic, he's rather realistic and cautious.

I think they're really worried in Ferrari.

Meanwhile it isn't only Alonso who has his doubts. Chief designer, Nicholas Tombazis, has also admitted that the updates planned for the Valencia GP, which Stefano Domenicali described as 'major', won't be enough to catch the leading two."In Valencia we will have a major change with many new parts," he stated. "But, the improvement we think will not be enough to reach the level of development of the strongest [teams]."

Despite this, team principal Domenicali, is adamant the team will not give up on the 2010 season, like they did in '09.

"We are not going to stop developing this car -- we are not throwing away these races so far," he told Spanish newspaper AS.

"We will continue working on the F10 until the end of the season."

http://www.thef1times.com/news/display/01242

Canada and Valencia should be better tracks for the F10, although I see RBR and McL on the podium there, but the real test will be Silverstone.

I have no doubt Alonso is surprised about Ferrari's lack of development/improvement but I doubt he has lost faith in the team. Besides, he said what Tombazis himself had said in another interview. I don't think it would be good to hear different answers to similar questions from different team members. Alonso's never too optimistic, he's rather realistic and cautious.

I think they're really worried in Ferrari.

Canada and Valencia should be better tracks for the F10, although I see RBR and McL on the podium there, but the real test will be Silverstone.

I do find it weird that things have changed from "The F10 is the best car I've ever driven." to "...the truth is that we are almost 8 tenths from Red Bull..."

I'm not saying there's anything good or bad about either comment, I'm just surprised that such a change has occured in the span of 7 races.

Ferrari started off the season as serious contenders, they have the money to develop, they have a brilliant driver in Alonso and a very compitent one in Massa, they have the design expertise, so why is it not coming together?

The only reason I can think of is that the communication within the team isn't working yet. Designers have to understand the feedback they're given from the drivers and drivers have to understand the precise questions the designers are asking. I think there's not enough attention to detail going on within the Ferrari team or perhaps frustration on all sides from not being fully understood, trusted or not knowing where their responsibilities start and end. It'll work itself out in the end, but as a proffesional outfit with such a history as theirs, they shouldn't be going through these kinds of teething issues.

If you look at a hyper organised team like McLaren - you can see how precisely everyone's responsibilities are defined and how easy that makes it for new team members to fit straight in (a la Button). Perhaps Ferrari could learn to be a bit more anal like those damn anglo saxons.

I do find it weird that things have changed from "The F10 is the best car I've ever driven." to "...the truth is that we are almost 8 tenths from Red Bull..."

I'm not saying there's anything good or bad about either comment, I'm just surprised that such a change has occured in the span of 7 races.

Ferrari started off the season as serious contenders, they have the money to develop, they have a brilliant driver in Alonso and a very compitent one in Massa, they have the design expertise, so why is it not coming together?

That's true I was thinking about that and like I said before they were very competitive at Monaco were Alonso claimed he could fight for pole and victory and just the next race and the are giving up already even when they say there are not, this may be a trick to make things look worse and claim that everything achieved from now on in a great result, personally I don't think the gap is that big as they are saying I think they are rather surprised because of the developement rate of the other teams, I don't een think they are behind Mercedes like it looked in this race I just think they didn't manage to get a good set up for this race and I expect to see them doing a better job in Canada.

That's the million dollar question.

IIf you look at a hyper organised team like McLaren - you can see how precisely everyone's responsibilities are defined and how easy that makes it for new team members to fit straight in (a la Button). Perhaps Ferrari could learn to be a bit more anal like those damn anglo saxons.

I agree with you in some way. They should hire the best professionals they can no matter whether they are Italian or any other nacionality.

I don't think an italian team could lack communication tongue.gif , even less when both Alonso and Massa speak a fluent Italian. Alonso is new to the team but Massa's been there for nearly 4 years.

I don't een think they are behind Mercedes like it looked in this race I just think they didn't manage to get a good set up for this race and I expect to see them doing a better job in Canada.

A not good enough set-up might be part of the problem in Turkey but I think there's something else that we don't know. If they aren't competitive in Montreal we could see a thunderstorm above Ferrari's garage the whole weekend.

I agree with you in some way. They should hire the best professionals they can no matter whether they are Italian or any other nacionality.

I don't think an italian team could lack communication tongue.gif , even less when both Alonso and Massa speak a fluent Italian. Alonso is new to the team but Massa's been there for nearly 4 years.

Yep - totally agree - but also not quite what I'm talking about...

Ferrari can have brilliantly talented people in every position in the company, but if the channels of communication are muddled or not clearly defined, they end up running around in circles.

An analogy...

When cabling up an office for a computer network a decent network engineer will label and organise every single cable, cut it to exactly the right length and lay them in a standard way.

Why?

Because at some point someone else will have to come along and add a network printer, or 5 new PCs or replace a wifi router and they should be able to understand immediately what cables are going where and doing what.

It's not that people aren't talking in Ferrari (I'm sure they are). The problem is that the channels of communication are mixed up.

Alonso's trying to find a place for his laptop and he's ended up on the desk next to the photocopier at the other end of the office from Massa while Domenicali's sitting in the meeting room because that's the only place with a 3 pin socket that fits his UK-bought iphone charger.

Meanwhile head office is still using faxes and no one's set up an email account for [email protected], so he can't read any confidential data from the other teams yet.:bigwink::eekout:

(that last bit was a joke)

Ferrari can have brilliantly talented people in every position in the company, but if the channels of communication are muddled or not clearly defined, they end up running around in circles.

I see your point. That would be some sort of organisational problem they didn't have a few years back and Domenicalli should have a look at it or LdM will have to do it for him. I hope they can ahieve a better result in the next 3 races or... ph34r.gif

If you look at a hyper organised team like McLaren - you can see how precisely everyone's responsibilities are defined and how easy that makes it for new team members to fit straight in (a la Button). Perhaps Ferrari could learn to be a bit more anal like those damn anglo saxons.

It takes a lot of work and commitment to learn to be a bit more anal... but at least it give you a lot of satisfaction!

(Macca learnt a lot during 2000 to 2004 seasons...)

Alonso: 'Without doubt the worst race so far'

Wednesday 02nd June 2010, 17:09 | Ryan Wood

Fernando Alonso has given a damning verdict on his Turkish GP performance, which saw the Spaniard duelling in the mid-field after failing to make the third round in qualifying.

"The Turkish Grand Prix was without doubt the worst event of the season," he said in his blog. "Our performance level was simply not competitive compared to McLaren and Red Bull and in qualifying, we even struggled against teams that up until now, were behind us. I wasn’t able to get to Q3 and so that compromised my race: when you start from twelfth, there is not much you can do.

"I managed to get ahead of some cars thanks to a good pit stop strategy. Then came the most boring part of the race. I was at the back of a train made up of the two Mercedes, the two Renaults and the two Ferraris."

Alonso had a narrow escape after coming together with Vitaly Petrov, who sustained a puncture, in the closing few laps of the race. The contact resulted in Alonso damaging a wheel-rim which could have easily deflated his tyre.

"I damaged a wheel rim, but luckily I was able to finish the race without any problems, bringing home at least a few points. I am sorry I was not able to celebrate Ferrari’s eight hundredth Grand Prix in a fitting way," said Alonso.

The Spaniard is pushing the Italian outfit to make a strong comeback at the Canadian GP where he reckons the F10 will be better suited.

"In Istanbul we were not quick enough and we have to react immediately," he explained. "The championship is still wide open with everything to play for. I am fourth in the classification, fourteen points off the leader and if the old points system still applied, the difference would be just four.

"However, it’s clear we need to make a jump forward in terms of developing the car. Over the first four races, we matched the pace of our main rivals, but since we have been back in Europe, that is no longer the case.

"When I was racing against Ferrari, I admired its ability to react, producing probably the best development during the season. The people are the same now, so there is no reason why the same thing cannot happen this year: I trust our team and, above all, I trust in the will to win that every last one of us shares.

"For Valencia, we will have a major update package which should see us make a good step forward, but I believe that already in Canada, we will have a different situation. The Montreal circuit will be better suited to the characteristics of the F10 and I think we will definitely be more competitive."

Red:Isn't this the guy that started dead last in Monaco and manages to finish in a very good position? how does he said that when you start 12 there is nothing you can do, I guess it is better to start last. :P

Bold: I knew he would change his words, I think he is reading this forum, if it is so I guess he is looking forward to meet me in person. :naughty:

http://www.espnstar.com/motorsport/f1/news/detail/item448271/Whitemarsh:-McLaren-spirit-lives-on/

Yesterday was the 40th anniversary of the passing of Bruce McLaren. In my usual trip down that dark memory lane I remember the intense sadness that came over me upon hearing the news of his testing accident. If left me with the same empty, helpless and sickening feeling I had when Clark died. Amongst all the brave souls before and since who met their end in motor sport these two gentlemen - and gentle men - will never be distant from my thoughts. Some wounds don't heal with time.

On that sombre note, I am glad I have never witnessed a driver being killed in the level of motorsport I follow the most. And I hope it stays that way.

I was thinking(a nice change for me as I don't do that often) about the last race and the next one, and a question came to my mind about the fuel loads for the next race, given the fact that some teams had to order their drives to go to fuel save mode, will they do the same again? I mean putting just enough fuel to finish the race or now tha they know this can happen will the top up the car with fuel to go the whole race flat out? that could be an advantage espacially for the fastest one as their extra speed can be trade for fuel once they get the pole but the same can be said for the ones close to the pole, they could comprimise some speed to be faster at the end and this way pass a saving fuel driver or even make then run out fo fuel trying to stay ahead, that will be something to watch in this race.

I was thinking(a nice change for me as I don't do that often) about the last race and the next one, and a question came to my mind about the fuel loads for the next race, given the fact that some teams had to order their drives to go to fuel save mode, will they do the same again? I mean putting just enough fuel to finish the race or now tha they know this can happen will the top up the car with fuel to go the whole race flat out? that could be an advantage espacially for the fastest one as their extra speed can be trade for fuel once they get the pole but the same can be said for the ones close to the pole, they could comprimise some speed to be faster at the end and this way pass a saving fuel driver or even make then run out fo fuel trying to stay ahead, that will be something to watch in this race.

That could add another dimension to racing.

I'm not entirely sure that this fuel saving business was real though. Isn't it just code for slow down no one can take our position, stop racing your team mate? Martin Brundle said there was no way McLaren would have not put enough fuel into those cars, they apparently do the calculations on the quali pace (that's what Brundle said, I didn't know myself) which was three seconds faster than the fastest race day time of Petrov. If Lewis or Button was on pole would McLaren have expected them to drive slower the whole race? Or drive as fast as possible to make a comfortable gap? Surely being lighter and qualifying one place up is not as effective than being slightly heavier but able to be flat out for 60 laps. I personally just don't buy it.

That could add another dimension to racing.

I'm not entirely sure that this fuel saving business was real though. Isn't it just code for slow down no one can take our position, stop racing your team mate? Martin Brundle said there was no way McLaren would have not put enough fuel into those cars, they apparently do the calculations on the quali pace (that's what Brundle said, I didn't know myself) which was three seconds faster than the fastest race day time of Petrov. If Lewis or Button was on pole would McLaren have expected them to drive slower the whole race? Or drive as fast as possible to make a comfortable gap? Surely being lighter and qualifying one place up is not as effective than being slightly heavier but able to be flat out for 60 laps. I personally just don't buy it.

If you go back to the previous non-refueling era you'll find out many times when a driver didn't finish(including Mclaren) because the driver run out of fuel so I totally believe it, I even remember drivers like Prost pushing his car because of this, I know F1 have what hey call optimization and they use the optimum amount of fuel, nothing extra, just enough to finish hte race anything more than that is just ballast for the car but now there should be a new consideration based on this or maybe not, probably they feel what they are doing is the way to go and certanly worth taking the risk, who knows? :eusa_think:

Massa extends Ferrari contract until '12

By Pablo Elizalde Wednesday, June 9th 2010, 10:48 GMT

Ferrari announced on Wednesday morning that it has extended its contract with Felipe Massa, who will stay on at the team at least until the end of the 2012 season.

Massa has been with the Italian squad since the 2001 season and his contract was expiring at the end of this year.

The new deal means Ferrari will have an unchanged driver line-up for the next two years, with Fernando Alonso also contracted to the Maranello outfit.

"I am happy to be given the opportunity to drive for Ferrari for a further two seasons," said Massa.

"Throughout my entire Formula 1 career, I have always raced with an engine made in Maranello and it is a matter of pride for me to be able to continue working with a team that I regard as a second family."

Massa has competed in 69 grands prix for Ferrari, having won 11 races, 30 podiums and 15 pole positions.

"Felipe has been part of Ferrari for almost a decade and together with us, he has grown as a driver and as a man, going through some very difficult times as well as giving us moments of great happiness," said team boss Stefano Domenicali.

"We wanted to show proof of stability for the future, believing in the worth of a driver pairing that is without equal in terms of talent, speed and its ability to work together for the good of the team."

The announcement comes just two days after Red Bull confirmed Mark Webber's new contract. Both Webber and Renault's Robert Kubica had been linked with Massa's drive.

US F1 have put up a variety of exciting items for bid, including the Falcon IndyCar US F1 Type 1 tub that we saw months ago as superior evidence that US F1 were working hard and on their way to the top of the grid!

162.jpg

The tub's last reported bid was (seriously) $133, equivalent to €109.83 or £90.45.

That's right...a far-from-complete IndyCar Formula 1 tub for less than £100. Once they unload that thing they'll be able to pay an hour's salary for Windsor, or fund Anderson's weekly Starbucks budget, or divide it evenly and give $3.69 to each of their unpaid employees (they could all chip-in to fund their cute little Cypher Group project). Nice one guys...they dropped something like $30,000,000 into US F1 and now they'll get $133 of it back. It's almost pathetic to think Anderson's actually trying again with Anderson F1. I wonder how far Stefan will progress with their tub; they own the design to this very car, but didn't want what Ken had started (only further fueling the theory that it is indeed an IndyCar with bits glued on to it, as if we needed more evidence beyond the fact that it conclusively is the Falcon IndyCar with bits glued on to it, as Stefan realized the design didn't actually match the tub). It would be rather embarrassing to make less progress than a team as silly as Stefan are!

They were also auctioning one wheel. I guess that's as many as they had.

The television the team's auctioning has a higher bid at the moment than the tub (more useful, I suppose) worth $146. A Dyson vacuum cleaner is also available at $22. The fact that US F1 really are selling household appliances (see toaster-gate) is mildly amusing.

Another item they're auctioning? A Weber grill for around $100. I'd wonder why, exactly, a Formula 1 team that couldn't pay its employees really needed a grill, but then again, they did say they'd be the all-American team, and since they couldn't have American drivers or sponsors or engines or anything else, they may as well have had good old fashioned American meat products.

Hamilton hopes to 'demolish' rivals

ESPNF1 Staff

July 2, 2010

Lewis Hamilton is hoping upgrades to his McLaren for the British Grand Prix will allow him to "demolish the field", but admitted he is still wary of the challenge posed by Red Bull.

McLaren will bring its version of the blown diffuser to British Grand Prix, aimed at improving the under-floor aerodynamics of the car at high speed. If it works it will be a big advantage through Silverstone's sweeping corners and Hamilton is hoping it will be enough to allow him to challenge for victory in front of his home fans.

"Every year we go there it's a mega experience with the support you have," Hamilton told PA Sport. "I really just hope it will be an incredible experience again, that the upgrades we have work, and we're able to demolish the field. Our car is so good. It's just down to me and Jenson [button] doing a solid job, without one or the other having problems. But it's going to be tough. We can't go into it thinking we're the favourites because the Red Bull, as it stands, is definitely the fastest car."

When asked about his rivalry with team-mate and compatriot Jenson Button, Hamilton said the competition would be fierce.

"I'm sure Jenson does want to win, but it doesn't mean he wants it more than me, so we'll have to wait and see," he said. "Although I've won the grand prix before, I'd love to win it again, but if he does a better job than me, so be it, but he has to do a better job than me. We'll race fairly, and the fastest guy will win, hopefully a one-two, which would be special, real special."

Last year Hamilton finished the British Grand Prix 16th as McLaren hit a mid-season slump, but still put on a show for the fans by performing donuts at Copse and Stowe on his way back to the pits. He said he would have to run it past his team before doing something similar this year.

"I need to speak to my engineers to find out what gearbox I'm on, the same with the engine," Hamilton said. "If the gearbox finishes the race and it's the last one, then I'll have a go. It puts on a show. But the amount of fans that came up to me after that, saying it made their weekend seeing the donuts, was amazing. It was pretty awesome because they didn't remember the fact we sucked that weekend. So I just hope I can give them something different to remember this time."

How can you just not love this guy, just look at his expectation To demolish the field it's just not simply winning the race and contrary to even what I was expecting this guy is a team player, jsut look how he wants to have his team mate who is his closest rival on the WDC to finish second, you may think that the idea result for him it would be win the race while putting some distance in the score to the guy who is following him in the score but not, he is thinking about the best result for his team even when it may not be the best result for him and last look how is he thinking about the show and his fans, after a crap race he did this donuts show just to give something back to the fans that went there to support him even when he was not having even an average season.