Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LabradoRacer

Monza

Mercedes looking quite strong in practice, both cars in the top three. But don't worry, they'll probably come up with a great way to f*ck it up in qualifying and/or the race.

Red Bull a little down the order, maybe to be expected here, but earlier stages yet.

You are clairvoyant, Jim. Schumi suffered DRS failure in FP2.

Never!

I'm so surprised...wait, I don't mean surprised do I?

Nevertheless, McLaren, Ferrari and Mercedes looking very close, particularly over long runs. Red Bull needing to find some more pace.

Nevertheless, McLaren, Ferrari and Mercedes looking very close, particularly over long runs. Red Bull needing to find some more pace.

"If the headline lap times were close, so was the the performance on the long runs. Lotus’ Kimi Raikkonen was astonishingly consistent on a 17 lap run and a little faster than Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari, but based on previous weekend’s it’s possible Lotus may have slightly less fuel on board. Either way we have the front running teams very well matched with McLaren still the team to beat."

jamesallen.com

Would'n bet on a win, but should be pretty close...

End of Q1 with the Hulk out and ALO and HAM on a league of their own. Which obviously means that VET and RAI will get P1 and P2 respectively.

DAM P17. The good thing is that even if he crashes like GRO, he will only pprobably kill some midfield driver. Nobody will notice if one of the STR drivers gets killed until next race, most likely.

This seems like a good weekend for Ferrari and Alonso. Ferrari seem very fast, along with McLaren, with Red Bull and Lotus, Alonso's closest rivals, struggling for speed.

Yup, Renault engines just don't have enough juice for Monza. Webber out for the third time in as many races in Q2. Not good at all.

Supreme quali by Hamilton. Hope he goes on to win. McLaren are truly head & shoulders above the rest of the field now.

Superb show by di Resta & Massa. The former's penalty means Schumi starts 4th but I think he's got a dim chance of a podium.

Vettel outdrove his car to slot ahead of Rosberg.

Dunno what gremlins visited Alonso, but I'm not complaining. However, Ferrari's pace should see him moving up the field, assuming there's no incident.

Dunno what gremlins visited Alonso, but I'm not complaining. However, Ferrari's pace should see him moving up the field, assuming there's no incident.

Suspected anti-rollbar failure, according to autosport. Can they fix that for the race?

I'd be curious as to what went wrong for Alonso.

McLaren at the top is what I've come to expect, and that has to have Alonso worried. As we've all said, if one driver/team can steal points from him week after week, he's over. He needs a different winner each week to hold on and Red Bull have been MIA since they've not been allowed to adjust ride height after qualifying something happened that we don't know anything about. Which isn't to say it will stay like this, because this season, it hasn't.

Basically, McLaren need to execute flawlessly now. Don't blow it like the first few races of the year, when they had the best car but not the best results. Everyone else had a poor qualifying so it's damage limitation for them. They need to hold 1-2 and they have a great chance of getting back in it. The one thing about this season is that you cannot blow the weekends when you have the best package.

Which, to an extent, happened to the #5 Ferrari in qualifying today. But that's good. Having faster cars starting further back is good for us. Not so good for Alonso, and even worse considering Ferrari have had some bad strategies this year.

We'll see. Hopefully it will be a good one.

Also, where's the DRS zone here? I can't find anywhere to put one that would make any sense at all.

Two Maccas a tenth apart but Massa just another tenth away. Game on! The main thing wrong with Felipe is the team he's with. He was meant to be Nando's 'tow-boy' today but the No.1 car broke. Hey ho. Problem for JB and LH is Alonso's pace. Even in10th he's a danger. So is Michael and Felipe.

Probably Alonso's best chance of pole in the season so far. Tough break. I hope he avoids the potential for first corner Monza chaos and gives us an exciting race.

Two Maccas a tenth apart but Massa just another tenth away. Game on! The main thing wrong with Felipe is the team he's with. He was meant to be Nando's 'tow-boy' today but the No.1 car broke. Hey ho. Problem for JB and LH is Alonso's pace. Even in10th he's a danger. So is Michael and Felipe.

Schumi's in good form, however his car's tyre munching disease may deprive him of podium.

About Ferrari's slipstream plan, I think they both were helping each other in turn. I read on ESPNF1 how Alonso provided Massa a tow on his first Q3 run.

Indeed, they were helping each other. Although Massa said he did his best lap of Q3 without the tow, I believe. I think the idea Ferrari had (and probably other teams which weren't focussed on) is a cute one, but also seems like quite a good way of tripping yourself up.

Apparently an anti-roll bar broke on Alonso's car, giving him loads of understeer. Same thing happened to Vettel a couple of years ago at Istanbul.

Should be able to make progress through the field though hopefully. Massa just needs to get in front of the McLarens at the start and try and hold them up a bit and mess with their race.

About Ferrari's slipstream plan, I think they both were helping each other in turn. I read on ESPNF1 how Alonso provided Massa a tow on his first Q3 run.

Yes, it seemed like the idea in Q3 was for Alonso to give Massa a tow first, which he did, and then Massa help Alonso, which he was also doing on next lap went Alonso car failed.

Sorry, but I cannot imagine any other reason than mechanical failure for that...or perhaps it's Ferrari conspiring against Nando...you know, the Ron Dennis way with Massa....

Todt must have had a hard time trying not to giggle watching Alonso's lap from the Ferrari's garage! Wait...Todt+Massa+Nicolas...ohhhh I get it! Not to mention Alessi who is jealous because Alonso and Alessi ae not so different (just a few letters here and there) and that makes people approach Jean saying "ohhh, Mr.Alonso! can you sign an autograph for me?" which drives Alessi mad.

Don't think for a minute I cannot see through your miserable conspiracies, you b#####ds!!!!!! :furious:

I think McLaren can control the start and prevent Ferrari from getting ahead.

That said, Massa's had some great starts in his life.

He's also had some pretty bad ones.

I do wonder what the plan is for Massa. Is it just take what you can get and keep rebuilding your reputation by stringing together some not-really-all-that-bad races, or is it take a massive risk, with nothing to lose, for the sake of your team, to try to get ahead? I hope he just stays calm and doesn't do anything dumb.

After all, if he gets a one-race ban for Singapore, he'd be denied all 0 points he would have scored in that race.

After all, if he gets a one-race ban for Singapore, he'd be denied all 0 points he would have scored in that race.

Oh, shut up you!

Although, I've heard that selling tickets for turn 17 at Singapore have suddenly got a raise in demand... :whistling:

It would be ironic if Massa did somehow manage to win tomorrow.

Sadly, that'd probably end any talk of anyone replacing him.

He's not a million miles away from McLaren's pace, I think he'll just try and stay in touch and maybe force one of them (most likely Hamilton) into an error. :P

It would be ironic if Massa did somehow manage to win tomorrow.

Spoiler warning: Massa doesn't win.

8 of his 11 wins are from pole. The other 3? He started second. No chance he gets past two teammates.

Massa to crash into both Maccas tomorrow. It's a carefully guarded top secret conspiracy, I tell you.

Honestly, I expect him to. There will be so much pressure on him to not hit the McLarens to 1) not ruin his own race and 2) not get Ferrari into controversy. As a result, he will hit the McLarens by virtue of trying so hard to not hit them. It will be a pure accident. He will lose his Super License and Ferrari will be fined 100,000 Euros.

Maldonado way down the grid.. Grosjean banned.. just when Lewis Hamilton thought he was safe to potentially win a Grand Prix again the King of Racecraft Felipe Massa suddenly makes an appearance at the sharp end! It's a conspiracy, I tell ya! (Just getting into the spirit :P)