Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jenson_Rules

Best Ever Driver?

Senna would have been happy with such an arrangement but Schumacher certainly would not have been. Ayrton was happy to partner Prost at McLaren and battle against him in equal machinery with equal status. Schumacher

well there seems to be a whole load of fuss to anyone who suggests a name other than Senna :P:P ..

just a lil support for MS, (the guy has all the important F1 records and a matter of time b4 the polls rec is his).... and i wouldn agree tht opposition in his era were useless... mika was great, so are KR, JV, jpm, FA ..... and if u think about it if say rubens was the lead driver in ferarri, honestly does anyone feel he would have pulled of 5 WDC titles....well at least i dont think he is capable of tht anyway.... in many ways u can see tht MS was a good and well sad to say a great driver .... his name will be remembered for a long long time (seriouly i know babies tht cant pronounce their fathers name but can say schumacher)....

if u look at how races and titles were won...in this instance i think senna will stand out...(i guess there has been enough points shown in previous posts to support this).... my pick will still be senna for reasons ... well u have to see him race to know it..... the guy has been gone 11 years but ppl still very much remember his name... now thts a name tht has trully stood the test of time...

ps... for the record i hate MS ....

well there seems to be a whole load of fuss to anyone who suggests a name other than Senna :P:P ..

just a lil support for MS, (the guy has all the important F1 records and a matter of time b4 the polls rec is his)....

Probably because most people here have seen both Senna & Schumacher race!

Senna was in a class of his own mate!!!

Probably because most people here have seen both Senna & Schumacher race!

Senna was in a class of his own mate!!!

Indeed. Senna was rightly named the magician. Drives like Monaco 84, Portugal 85, Donington 93 etc were sensational. Ayrton was mesmerizing and his career was littered with wizardry. Schumacher, good as he is (or should that be was?) pails in comparison.

I don't think you just 'find a way' to win a world champion or even races in not such a good car. He was the master at his game but I don't even think Senna had the magic on some of the other drivers who weren't equally but somewhat near the class of himself.

this is Ayrton Senna we are talking about, he WOULD have found a way, easily. Senna took on Prost in the same car and beat him, and to give credit to Alain, actually recommended to McLaren to hire Ayrton.

this is Ayrton Senna we are talking about, he WOULD have found a way, easily. Senna took on Prost in the same car and beat him, and to give credit to Alain, actually recommended to McLaren to hire Ayrton.

Sadly and I say this very sarcastically for the outspoken people on this forum he will be forgotton about and furthermore Michael Schumacher will be remembered more than the great 'I never saw race'.

i've only been watching since 99 so my top 5 are

Micheal schumacher 10

kimi raikkonen 10

Mikahakkinen 9

David coulthard

Fernando

Montoya

villeneuve F it, u cant really tell but the 1st three, im absolutely sure of.

Put kimi in a reliable car, u'll really see that hes amazing. schumacher only betters him on records. but personally i think kimi is brilliant.

Monty is good as well, just takes him time to get the rite balance. what of frentzen. I still feel that button has to prove himself but so far so good. taking pole position on an empty tank is absolutely rubbish

The 'Best Driver Ever' is a hard call. The general opinion from what ive read in this forum is it is in between Schumacher and Senna. I have witnessed both of these guys race(as most of you have). Call me crazy, but as i recall the press generally "loved to hate" Ayrton during his McLaren years, with the same intensity as they do now Micheal. What i loved about both these guys is their focus and at the end of the day, if it came down to a win, they would do what was necessary to come out on top. Both were very involved in set-up, great qualifiers, decisive through lapped traffic, gifted at reading race situations to benefit themselves, awesome in the rain......but at the end of the day......on the last lap..6 foot too far back...they were not beyond a passionate desperation to do whatever it takes to get to that apex before their rival.

Kinda like every overtaking manouevre Montoya makes on a backmarker, but the difference is only when the stakes were high!!! I suppose its comforting to know that Senna and Schu, even though supremely talented,experienced and highly intelligent, still relied on that skill they developed in Karting 20 years ago called......Big Balls!!!....to put them on the top step of that podium so many times.

The 'Best Driver Ever' is a hard call. The general opinion from what ive read in this forum is it is in between Schumacher and Senna. I have witnessed both of these guys race(as most of you have). Call me crazy, but as i recall the press generally "loved to hate" Ayrton during his McLaren years, with the same intensity as they do now Micheal. What i loved about both these guys is their focus and at the end of the day, if it came down to a win, they would do what was necessary to come out on top. Both were very involved in set-up, great qualifiers, decisive through lapped traffic, gifted at reading race situations to benefit themselves, awesome in the rain......but at the end of the day......on the last lap..6 foot too far back...they were not beyond a passionate desperation to do whatever it takes to get to that apex before their rival.

Kinda like every overtaking manouevre Montoya makes on a backmarker, but the difference is only when the stakes were high!!! I suppose its comforting to know that Senna and Schu, even though supremely talented,experienced and highly intelligent, still relied on that skill they developed in Karting 20 years ago called......Big Balls!!!....to put them on the top step of that podium so many times.

Correction: some not most. Some haven

You are probably right, Senna. One thing I should say, with no disrespect to Ayrton whatsoever, I think theres a bit of "Kurt Cobain Syndrome" within Ayrtons fan base. By that i mean the same people who ranted about him being a dangerous driver with a temper in 92/93, soon as his tragic accident occurred, they

line up for a flag and a t-shirt. If Schu suffered the same fate next gp, i think alot of the Schu-haters would be sitting on each others shoulders to get a space on the bandwagon....Senna was as an idol for me because of his raw talent mixed with passion for victory, with a twist of "mad-man"....Its very sad many people, after his untimely death, back-flipped....I suppose its because i copped it for being a Senna fan, and the same guys who dealt it wanted to buy my mounted "Toleman at Monaco" poster 6 months later!!! <_<

I certainly respect this point of view and yourself. Welcome aboard.

Correction: some not most. Some haven't even seen Michael's entire career, not even most of it.

If here you are referring to me here I don't really think watching either Michael Schumacher's career or Ayrton's is relevant. Everything is based on facts and relyed upon by statistics. Now whether or not Senna was a magician, he currently and for obvious reasons is not statistically the best racing driver so that status goes to Michael Schumacher. I clearly know why everyone on here disagrees with me because they 'saw him race' but that is regardless. And talking about Jerez '97 and Adelaide '94 well let's go back to Suzuka '89 and '90. I wonder what happened there.... well I wasn't even alive then Senna care to enlighten me?

If here you are referring to me here I don't really think watching either Michael Schumacher's career or Ayrton's is relevant.

:blink:

Everything is based on facts and relyed upon by statistics. Now whether or not Senna was a magician, he currently and for obvious reasons is not statistically the best racing driver so that status goes to Michael Schumacher.

In absolute statistical terms Michael is the most successful. In relative terms (which are far more accurate) he

B) Fangio................look at what he drove, a tank compared to modern cars and to boot you make a mistake back then and you were dead more than often than not.................................

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^BUMP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If here you are referring to me here I don't really think watching either Michael Schumacher's career or Ayrton's is relevant. Everything is based on facts and relyed upon by statistics.

you have got to be kidding. Numbers very rarely tell the whole story. Take 1993 for instance. Senna was second in the title race, but if you only looked at the numbers, you wouldn't have known he beat other drivers in vastly inferior cars and won five races that year in a car which was very clearly not the best in the field.

There is nothing more to add to Senna's description of events re. Adelaide '94 and Jerez '97, and Suzuka '89 and '90.

you have got to be kidding. Numbers very rarely tell the whole story. Take 1993 for instance. Senna was second in the title race, but if you only looked at the numbers, you wouldn't have known he beat other drivers in vastly inferior cars and won five races that year in a car which was very clearly not the best in the field.

There is nothing more to add to Senna's description of events re. Adelaide '94 and Jerez '97, and Suzuka '89 and '90.

I'm sure you mean superior. Senna

Not by people who are true afficionados.

Exactly MG!!!

For example, im too young to have seen Jim Clark and Fangio race (apart from highlight video's & documentaries) & yet I believe that Clark was the better driver despite winning 3 championships less (for several reason that I wont go in to right now).

It just so happens that I agree with you on that one.

Why thank you :D

Like Wez, I've only seen limited footage of him, but I think it is fair to say he was a mighty talent and it's a case of what might have been sadly.