Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Senna

"Britain Needs Button To Start Winning"

'Britain needs Button to start winning'

PF1

Jenson Button needs to break his Formula One duck next season for the good of British motorsport, according to former boss David Richards.

Button's disappointing 2005 season concluded with his 100th grand prix, during which time he has failed to stand on the top step of the podium despite several near misses.

Richards, the man who signed Button for BAR-Honda, believes this year is crucial if the 25-year-old Englishman is to back up his formidable reputation with results.

In his role as world rally championship boss, Richards has seen the damaging effect the lack of a British star has had on the sport in this country.

Now he wants Button to step up to the plate and ensure Britain's interest in Formula One does not wane.

"I very much hope he becomes world champion for the sake of British motorsport as much as anything," he told PA Sport.

"He is the great hope out there at the moment.

"This year again will be a very critical year for him. It will help the sport enormously if he starts to win, it will have a positive effect on everything.

"I hope he wins a race next season."

Button is not the only member of the Honda team facing a make-or-break season, according to Richards, who also runs the Prodrive company.

Honda, who now own the team outright, have a glowing reputation in Formula One from their days as world champion engine suppliers and Richards believes their first season back as a constructor will come with high expectations.

BAR's final year was a difficult one, with an embarrassing two-race ban adding to a below-par car and their former boss knows the kind of pressure the Brackley-based squad are under.

"It is easy to criticise from the outside but I am sure they are their best critics from that point of view," said Richards.

"They know what problems they've had to face.

"Clearly this coming year is a very decisive year because they had so much success in 2004 but took a step back last season. Honda will be expecting a significant step up this season.

"It's not through lack of money because there's nobody spending more money in Formula One at the moment than Honda. That being the case I would expect everyone is looking for the results."

Results...........'Lauda' "that is all that matters most, results"

Richards is right, JB does need to get his act together and start winning! Admittedly he hasnt had cars able to go that little bit further but still!

Britain needs nothing. Button needs Button to start winning.

"It's not through lack of money because there's nobody spending more money in Formula One at the moment than Honda. That being the case I would expect everyone is looking for the results."

Is this true? I thought Toyota spent more and maybe a few others. I wonder if we could see a more competitive financial battle in F1 than ever before as the japanese manufacturers go head to head near the front?

In fact Honda will be in the absurd position of battling hard at the front and back of the grid of course.

In fact Honda will be in the absurd position of battling hard at the front and back of the grid of course.

Indeed.

'Britain needs Button to start winning'

PF1

Jenson Button needs to break his Formula One duck next season for the good of British motorsport, according to former boss David Richards.

Button's disappointing 2005 season concluded with his 100th grand prix, during which time he has failed to stand on the top step of the podium despite several near misses.

Richards, the man who signed Button for BAR-Honda, believes this year is crucial if the 25-year-old Englishman is to back up his formidable reputation with results.

In his role as world rally championship boss, Richards has seen the damaging effect the lack of a British star has had on the sport in this country.

Now he wants Button to step up to the plate and ensure Britain's interest in Formula One does not wane.

"I very much hope he becomes world champion for the sake of British motorsport as much as anything," he told PA Sport.

"He is the great hope out there at the moment.

"This year again will be a very critical year for him. It will help the sport enormously if he starts to win, it will have a positive effect on everything.

"I hope he wins a race next season."

Button is not the only member of the Honda team facing a make-or-break season, according to Richards, who also runs the Prodrive company.

Honda, who now own the team outright, have a glowing reputation in Formula One from their days as world champion engine suppliers and Richards believes their first season back as a constructor will come with high expectations.

BAR's final year was a difficult one, with an embarrassing two-race ban adding to a below-par car and their former boss knows the kind of pressure the Brackley-based squad are under.

"It is easy to criticise from the outside but I am sure they are their best critics from that point of view," said Richards.

"They know what problems they've had to face.

"Clearly this coming year is a very decisive year because they had so much success in 2004 but took a step back last season. Honda will be expecting a significant step up this season.

The last thing I need is for Button to start winning. Think of all the ranting and 'look at the WDC in contention" crap we have to endure from his hysterical fanbase. OMG, i dread the day...

There

The last thing I need is for Button to start winning. Think of all the ranting and 'look at the WDC in contention" crap we have to endure from his hysterical fanbase. OMG, i dread the day...

Button will always choke!

He puts in a couple of good laps but then he falls asleep

Moving on guys

Gary Paffett will show you how a car is driven

Button will always choke!

He puts in a couple of good laps but then he falls asleep

Moving on guys

Gary Paffett will show you how a car is driven

You sound familiar

This could be explained by a number of reasons. Mclaren and Williams. Most teams are based in Briatin. The rich motor racing history you poms enjoy. The fact that you are addicted to sport.

And footbal. Look at Serie A and Juventus, always empty arenas. Then look at premier league and other lower leagues, packed houses. The same with Australia, crazy for all competition. It unites the country, and its (in my opinion) healthy for the nation. Take Silverstone last year, united in the face of danger. Poetry in motion. Could not have been better.

P.S: Its in reply to senna and the bloody tifosi

True....Left to me, DC would have done better than JB in the B.A.R of 2004

:eusa_think:

What Britain really needs is electoral reform and, hopefully by that means, a decent Government. The current mob are a disgrace and the opposition even worse. :angry:

As for Button......anyone heard of Tim Henman? :rolleyes::yawn:

"Is this true? I thought Toyota spent more and maybe a few others. I wonder if we could see a more competitive financial battle in F1 than ever before as the japanese manufacturers go head to head near the front?"

yes, that's the quote that stood out for me. surely this can't be true and is richards getting carried away with himself. keeping jenson was costly last year but i still think toyota must be spending comfortably more than honda.

with regards to fighting at the front and back, midland have toyota engines so the eventual main competitor of the honda engines in the rear of the super aguris will be the toyota's in the midlands. it makes sense in that respect.

As much as Richards is right in this instance, Britain also need Mr Richards to shut his trap!

Britain has had 8 or 9 world champions, its about time we laid off and let foreigners win some more!! :D Button is the most likely but it really is down to honda to produce the goods, I've got no doubts that Jenson is capable of winning races cos he's fought at the front countless times and shown that he can lead races with no probs

Button is the best current Formula 1 driver thats yet to win a race...